Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'd believe Ramshot's data, having visited their lab several times. They're one of the top ballistics labs in the country, doing a lot of testing for other companies.
Here's the load, do you think switching the bullet to a Sierra could raise the pressure to a dangerous level? Ramshot doesn't list what brass they used either.

7mm-08 Remington (Ramshot Data Edition 4.5 - 2011)

Warning! Notes: barrel: 24", twist 1-9"; primer: FED 210; always begin loading at the minimum "start load"; increase in 2% increments towards the maximum load; watch for signs of excessive pressure; never exceed the maximum load

139 Hornady SP Ramshot Big Game 43.2 2,558
Remarks: start load; COL (inch): 2.800

139 Hornady SP Ramshot Big Game 48.0 2,842
Remarks: max load; COL (inch): 2.800; 56,560 psi

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nevermind, I just read the article. blush

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer is John Barsness, and I'm sorry, I didn't realize that he used the Sierra bullet in the article, I overlooked that previously, the 47gr load you were using is most likely fine. I apologize for the confusion, sometimes I miss key details, was just trying to give you safe advice. blush

Although I've been reloading for 22 years myself, I'm still constantly learning and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible, luckily Mr. Barsness is nice enough to share his advice and wisdom with me quite often and he's my go to if I have any questions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my early shooting and reloading years, handguns were my true love and Skeeter Skelton was my favorite writer. Oh, I read Elmer Keith's writings along with several others but Skeeter just had a way that really stuck. I felt like I had lost a friend when he died.

I went for several years without a writer that really hit the spot; someone from whom I could learn and pretty much trust the information and opinions that they expressed. Then after the manufacturers of handguns stopped making front sights like they used to, I became more interested in rifles than I had ever been before.

It was at this point that I discovered Mule Deer. I personally don't think that anyone today puts words together any better. There are several writers who do good work, but none are better at applying hunting, reloading, and shooting experience into words like Mr. Barsness. I just trust what he writes. Just me..........

Last edited by lastround; 11/15/12.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
OP Offline
P
Yeah, he seems to have a good reputation, I just got a little spooked when I saw the Sierra Manual max. Compared to any other source they are pretty darn conservative.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Performance_Tuned
Yeah, he seems to have a good reputation, I just got a little spooked when I saw the Sierra Manual max. Compared to any other source they are pretty darn conservative.

I don't know if true in this instance, but misprints do happen. That's why it is a good idea to use several sources for loading information.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've shot 47.5 grs. of Ramshot Big Game with the 139 gr. Hdy and 45 grs. with the 145 gr. Speer a good bit. As in a couple of hundred rds. of each. That includes hot days as well.
My usual procedure is to over load the loads I'm using about 5% to see if I'm any where near the top end. That would be 50 grs. of Big Game and it was done on a warm day, 85 degrees or warmer. Still no pressure signs, but not as accurate a load as the 47.5 gr. load.
I used Remington cases, and Winchester primers. Custom, match grade barrel.
While I haven't used any Sierra bullets lately, my memory is that they usually work best at 1 gr. less powder than the 139 gr. Hdy in the 7X57. E

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I still haven't quite figured out why people put so much stock in the "book". They didn't have your rifle, you didn't have theirs. They are concerned about liability. If several books have different data, who is right? If your load shoots fine without pressure signs, it is good. The real determinant is the brass. If the primer pockets stay tight, you are not over pressure. I hear a lot of reference to "dangerous" loads. You are no where near dangerous. The rifle is much stronger that the brass. It will be toast long before the rifle gives in.
The only time I use a book is to get a rough estimate to start. I don't give a rats azz what the top load in the book is, I stop when my rifle says to stop. They all have their own limits. Most of my loads are just over "book max". My brass seems to last, so I'm not worried.
When yo get a chrony, use it to tell when you are getting close. You will find the increase in powder will give you less increase in velocity in most cases. That's a hint you are getting where you want to stop. Find a good accuracy node and call it good.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Performance_Tuned
I got this load from load data.com and also found it referenced in an issue of American Rifleman. Reduced it by 5% and worked up to it in half grain increments and got good groups at 47 gr.with no pressure signs. I could lift the bolt easily with my pinky. Got to look at a Sierra manual today it's max recommended charge is 42.7 grains! I'm almost 5 grains over. Ramshot allows a heavier max charge for the 160 gr. sierra than sierra does for a 140. I'm confused! This load doesn't seem hot at all by outward signs, but according to Sierra's data I'm way over. I don't know what to do. Should I pull the bullets and start over?

Don't worry about it those are only reference numbers add another 10 Gr.

When it blows up just step back a couple of grains and buy another gun. Hope your fingers heal up.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 11/16/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.