Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by djs
The employees had already accepted 2 previous wage reductions and felt the company's new proposal for (1) a 3rd reduction, (2) loss of their pension and, (3) an increase in health insurance costs was too much. This is what the holding company wanted them to accept for the plant to remain open. One striking employee said "This will bring us to just above minimum wage."

I'm not saying the striking employees are right, but they felt they had nothing to loose.

Our news said the wage cut was from $50k to 47k. Plus benies

$47K plus benefits, for what amounts to mostly unskilled labor?

Pretty hard to defend that with a straight face, and claim they deserved more. crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs
The employees had already accepted 2 previous wage reductions and felt the company's new proposal for (1) a 3rd reduction, (2) loss of their pension and, (3) an increase in health insurance costs was too much. This is what the holding company wanted them to accept for the plant to remain open. One striking employee said "This will bring us to just above minimum wage."

I'm not saying the striking employees are right, but they felt they had nothing to loose.

the annual wage reduction was 8%....now they'll get to try on a 100% reduction; they wouldn't lose anything they'd paid into a pension, they'd just be like the vast majority of workers funding their own; and now they'll get to pay 100% of a self insured health premium.

Merry F'in Christmas, dumbasses.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
What about all the vendors around the country?

Is this all Hostess products? Gone? That's going to effect more than just the assembly line folks.

Travis

the valuable trade names will be sold by the trustee....before long somebody else will be selling Twinkies and Wonderbread.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three years of unemployment and all the cash they can make isn't exactly a threat to most of these guys.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Mark Twain once described his fighting acumen �

"Thrusting my nose firmly between his teeth, I threw him heavily to the ground on top of me."

Yup, kinda like saying I used my face to break his knuckles.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can stir flour for cash? Sweet. grin

What a country...

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Twinkies for the fiscal cliff? We are all in trouble now. shocked

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The article crystallizes the union mentality that is perpetuated on once clear minded citizens. You can see how pervasive the brainwashing is by those quoted in the article. Let's see how far their "inspirational" move will go when it comes time to pay their expenses.

This is one reson why Romney lost. Too many of the middle class saw Romney as the "Hostess Candidate". How can we, going forward, convince these moronic union members that the unions are using them like toilet paper.

I'm sure Hostee has seen a marked drop off in revenue as a result of all the anti-sugar/fast food dietary trends. If you can't adapt, you are out of business.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs

I wonder how many of the workers had above minimum wage skills. If they are in a rural area, they may not have a McDonald's to go work at, and from observing a few food manufacturing facilities and many McDonald's, I would guess that the McDonald's workers have much more stressful jobs than the Hostess union employees did.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The company I work for employs about 6000 employees, only a couple facilities are union. With various incentives the hourlys make about $20 per hour with as much overtime as they care to get plus exceptional benefits. Extent of an eight hour shift is load cardboard every 30 minutes and hit the green start button. Many of them are so skilled they'd trip over the painted lines on the floor if there weren't signs telling them not to. Once in a while you will hear talk of unionizing, and their peers pretty much put a stop to that immediately.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
With the passage of the new marijuana laws and the loss of twinkies, what will the stoners do?

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd close down too if my reward for battling the EPA, OSHA, FDA and other NAZI .gov institutions/regs was to get a bunch of union employees bitching about what a crook you are.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
two words of advice:

Little Debbie

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by djs

There's more....

The trucks hauling Twinkies couldn't haul Wonder Bread, and vice versa.

Once the truck(s) hit the stores, the drivers weren't allowed to unload the trucks, there was a special worker dedicated to that waiting at the store.

And yep, you guessed it. The Twinkie unloader couldn't unload the Wonder bread truck.

How's THAT for duplication (quadruplication?) of effort, and expense?

Yep, tough working there at Hostess, and worth losing your job over.

Good luck replacing those wages and conditions, as unions continue to become less and less effective. Now they might be forced to actually perform, and to paid commensurate with their skill level, to get another job. What an example of blind stupid greed, when you give that up, with little chance of replacing it.

Going all in, on a bluff, with no line of credit to get you back in to another game, is pretty short-sighted thinking on the part of the workers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
well, one of the major goals of the second Obama administration will be stack the deck for the private sector unions with card check and other measures. but what they can't do a damn thing about is businesses just closing up as a result of Obama's absurd policies. of course, that just creates more direct government dependents, which is what the democrats want anyway.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
And the type of wonderful people working at our new DMV facilities, er, health care exchanges.

And the economy will be boosted by building all these brand-new, state of the art government buildings (while the deficit/debt/taxes go up even more). Following the New Deal garbage that didn't work the last time.....this time, our currency is junk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Mark Twain once described his fighting acumen �

"Thrusting my nose firmly between his teeth, I threw him heavily to the ground on top of me."

I had to work on that visual for a moment. grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Three years of unemployment and all the cash they can make isn't exactly a threat to most of these guys.

Bingo. I am sure we all know of stories of guys who made off FAR better being laid off than not. Lots of "jobs americans wont do" pay a decent wage in cash if you dont need to support a family on it (ie, you are getting unemployment).

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Step back and look at the bigger picture. Since 0bama's reelection, unions are on the war path.

1. Hostess - What we're talking about here.

2. In Kalifornia, unions got a huge sales & income tax proposition passed. Now they are pushing a 300% increase in annual car registration fees.

3. Walmart: Union people are trying to get the nation's largest (evil) employer to go union. Just think what that will do for prices.

Did I miss any?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.