Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, fixed it..

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Worst was several years back I was staying at a bed and breakfast in my native PA; it had a real family feel with several groups of multiple generations hunting there that came back year after year. That year there was a Grandfather, sons with two grandsons all from Conn. On either the first or second morning the two boys� ages 12 & 13 were sitting together. Only the older boy was hunting his little brother came along to watch.

As we were told at supper that night during the day a deer came by and the boy raised up his Model 94 30-30 and cocked the hammer seeing it was a doe he laid the gun down across his lap. I little while later another deer came up the trail; he again picked up the gun and not realizing it was cocked he accidentally fired it into his little brothers upper thigh. The adults came right over and tried to get him to the Coudersport hospital in time. Problem was they were from out of town and could not get clear directions to the local emergency team and there was a delay finding them and the boy past away soon after arriving at the hospital.

That was indeed a sad time and it was one of my last hunting trips back to my home state.

Ted
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My dad worked for a large lumber company most of his life, and
the higher ups would go on a yearly hunting trip to WY or
somewhere out west. One year one of the guys shot another
hunter and killed him, mistaking him for a deer or an elk,
I dont remember. In less than a year he resigned his position
with the company and was never heard from again.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
About 15 or so years ago, we had a hunter who was walking in to his hunting spot with a climbing tree stand on his back who was shot by another hunter already in a tree stand WITH A BOW!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had an incident up in the Gila a few years ago. An elderly hunter from Georgia was hunting elk with a guide. The hunter shot a nice bull at a little under 400 yds. The guide told him to wait where he was and he would go over and make sure that the elk was dead. Then, he said that he would come back for the hunter and they would go over and take some pictures before field dressing it.

The guide reached the elk and poked the elk with a stick. Then he raised the head so the hunter could see the rack. The hunter was watching through his scope. When he saw the head move, he shot again, hitting the guide in the middle of his chest with a 180-grain bullet from his .300 mag. The guide died on the spot. The DA in Catron County prosecuted the hunter on a murder charge, but I believe that it was reduced to a charge of manslaughter in a plea deal.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread sucks.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not hunting, but one time I ran out of beer in Baja.

Top that.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted this up before but my butcher went on a pig hunt down in Florida and when he got down there a different "outfitter" was subcontracted, picked him up at the airport and drove him into the middle of some swamp. They shot a couple of pigs and went back to camp. The only english speaking "Guide" said then that he needed their money, my butcher tells him the trip has already been paid for and the guide says " no, we want your money". Their guns or bows were out of reach and the other non english guides had their guns out and it turned into a giant shake down. There were multiple death threats made and they were held captive for a few days while they gathered up money and wired for more. In the end, they got them for a few grand, broke his buddy's arm, busted up my butchers face and left them. A formal investigation started when they managed to get home and ended up with arrests and a few deportations.

God Bless,

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Higbean
This thread sucks.

Yeah it does. But it also serves to remind us that there is a certain amount of risk in what we do. The biggest risk being our own carelessness and complacency. Sometimes we can make a bad choice that results an a real flesh and blood human being getting killed, maybe us, maybe someone else. Either way, multiple lives end up impacted and changed forever.

Be careful out there.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Top that.

I've been to Baja many times and the only way to run out of beer is if you forget to tip Jose when he brings it to you.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
The following stories were in the local news.

A 28-year-old Elk Grove man who was accidentally shot in the face during the slaughter of a pig for a family celebration has died, according to the Sacramento County Coroner's office.
An unidentified older brother, 31, planned to shoot two pigs for eating later in the day. A circle of family members had gathered around the two bound pigs. The brother killed one pig, but when he shot the second pig, the animal lurched, hitting the .22-caliber rifle and causing the gun to discharge a second time.

and another one:

BAKERSFIELD -- -- Kern County Sheriff's homicide detectives are investigating a hunting accident that killed a Clovis man who was hunting squirrels and other vermin.

On Saturday 27-year-old **** of Clovis was killed near Lake Isabella when his hunting companion slipped and fell. The Bakersfield Californian reports that the man's finger was on the trigger, and when he hit the ground the rifle fired.

The name of the shooter has not been released.
The California Department of Fish and Game reports there were two fatal hunting accidents in 2010, the last year that statistics are available. One case was the fault of the shooter, and in the other the victim moved into the line of fire.

another:

Forty-four-year-old Daniel Downs was hunting near Sears Point in Sonoma County when the shooting happened Sunday afternoon.

Sonoma County sheriff�s officials say Downs was found dead when deputies arrived. They have not released details about what led up to the shooting.

Sheriff�s investigators and the state Department of Fish and Game are investigating the death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Top that.

I've been to Baja many times and the only way to run out of beer is if you forget to tip Jose when he brings it to you.

I was a LONG way from a resort. smirk

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I don't remember the exact year, but I think it was in the early or mid 80's a group of guys that worked together were camped off the side of a mountain road in North Idaho waiting for daylight and getting ready to head off into the woods to hunt elk. They were goofing around blowing their bugles and loading up gear. One of the guys needed to relieve himself, and walked down the road away from camp and some of the ladies in camp. A rig came up the road and stopped. The guy in the rig shot the guy taking a leak between the eyes with a 444 Marin. The commotion scared the shooter and his partner and they hightailed it to town with some folks in hot pursuit and taking the shootee to the hospital.The shooter turned himself in and IIRC he was charged with involuntary manslaughter and did no time, he said he thought the guy was a bull elk. It was still 45 minutes or more until legal shooting time. Just doesn't seem right the guy kills someone and does no time and the next year in Idaho a guy killed a grizzly and turned himself in and got a $10,000 fine and loss of hunting privliges for 10 years.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My dentists dad (dentist is a female) climbed out of his tree stand and while on the ground, his buddy in another nearby tree stand 'sound shot' him..........dead. They were best friends since grade school.

She was always quite adamant before each hunting season to tell me to be sooooo careful. I always thanked her for her concern and many years ago, I finally asked her why she seemed more concerned for me than my own family. It became pretty clear, very fast.

Be careful fellas..........chit can and does happen.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/16/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the first bear maul victim I saw on Kodiak Island.

A guide had deer hunters out, and was checking gut piles for an upcoming bear hunt. He found one. It chewed him up pretty bad. When they got him to the hospital, all you could see was raw meat and bones. Arms, leg, face. He spent a long time in rehab over that one.

2 years to the day, exactly, they bring a guide into the ER that had shot himself in the leg with a 44mag. yep, same guy. Back guiding. Except now he is really nervous and carries a 44 every where he goes. He was at a creek getting water when he somehow shot himself.

Hope he gave up guiding after that.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
When I was in South Africa hunting with JJ Hackiewiescz, a PH told me this story- just after I had killed a Zebra.

A hunter with this PH wanted to kill a Zebra badly. The next day, they find a group of Zebras and the hunter shoots one in the group.
Before the PH could stop him, he runs up to the zebra on the ground and goes to look it over an pose for pictures. As soon as he goes to put his arm over the Zebra's head, it whips its head around and bites the hunter's arm clean off at the elbow.
Bob

Not being a wise Azz but I must ask because I do not know. Is that possible?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if that is possible either, the elbow is a pretty big joint.

I do know, because I saw it, that a zebra can get fingers. Saw a kid lose the thumb and first finger joints feeding a peanut to a zoo zebra. Bit them clean off.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I saw, Zebras in the wild are pretty nasty critters. The one I took had scars and rips all over it's body from fighting and they have a pretty good set of teeth and jaws to power them. The males spend a lot of time fighting, kicking, and biting each other for access to the females so I would think their ability to bite would be pretty developed.
Just my opinion, of course, but I didn't think the PH was BS'ng me at the time. He seemed pretty serious about this so I approached my Zebra VERY slowly and carefully. smile

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mattm2047
I cant get this story I heard last week out of my head. Was wondering if anyone els had any hunting horror stories? Last week I was in Sportsmans Wharehouse in Anchorage and I met a guy from Anchor point. He was limping and we started Bs-ing. He's and older guy and said "ya, the limp gets worse as the weather turns colder, its my unsoliceted barometer".

I asked him how he got the limp and he said "Oh, years ago I was on a moose hunt with a real dip s####. He was walking behind me with an m1 garand and caught me with two rounds. One in the hip that grazed me and one stight in the kisser. He was only 5'5" and about 140 so wasnt much help on the 12 mile walk back". There is a little more to the storie but there are the bullet points...

Two 30-06 rounds and a twelve mile walk. Anybody top it?

I don't know if "top it" is the right description, but I have hunted some years ago with a gentleman who is a bit older than me. Back when I was still in college he was on an elk hunt with a group of friends out west somewhere. One morning all the guys except one headed out to hunt; some time during the day one of the hunters was headed back to camp when he saw the "tan of an elk" ahead of him. He dropped it with his .308 and thus began his hell on earth. The guy who stayed back in camp was doing camp jack chores, was wearing a brown Carhart jacket and was stooped over picking up some dry wood for the camp fire. The rest of the hunters were coming in and had to tie the distraught hunter up to keep him from turning his rifle on himself. Thus they packed out, one strapped down laying over a horse and the other tied up and being led out.

I'm not clear on all the details but the bullet-points are right there, Can you imagine the emotions and grief?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I think of bad things that could happen this always comes to mind:

[Linked Image]
http://ssqq.com/archive/stupidity%20arrowhead.htm

Very thankful nothing too serious has ever happened to anyone in my hunting party. My hunting buddy of many years badly sprained his ankle this year, with possible hairline fractures that wouldn't have shown up on the x-rays for a week or so and I've broken a couple ribs.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.