Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Conrad,
<br>
<br>Yes I used the AO and no the lens are not dirty. Compared to my Swarovski 6 to 24 X 50 scope my buddys 24X BR Leupold is in fact "unclear" and it is very eye critical.
<br>
<br>Those are the facts, nothing more, nothing less.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The latest total now stands at 96, only 4 more to go to reach that 100 mark.
<br>
<br>This Saturday we (Dave and myself) are in for a special treat. Boyd Heaton - a bench rest shooter from Williamsport, PA (1022 yards) is comming up to hunt "chucks" with us. We are not going to hunt chucks this week, only scout, to offer Boyd the best places to kill woodchucks to 1200 yards. Boyd is bringing up all of his necessary equipment and his 300 RUM and he has a special set-up with a video camera that can obtain a 100X zoom. We will get to play back the KILLS, [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don,I can't wait.....I just loaded some 125gr Sierra's to try....I might come up early,(around noon)if that's o.k.?Let me know .......

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Boyd,
<br>
<br>Dave and myself surely enjoyed your company yeasterday.
<br>
<br>We had a good time talking guns, checking out your little [Linked Image] guns, especially that little 46lb rifle.
<br>
<br>The report: We saw about 15 woodchucks during the day. I am sure some of the "spottings" where the same chucks. The one place where Boyd could set-up and shoot 1200 yards was not a good option since the mirage was so bad (mid -day). We saw so many chucks out in a harvested oat field that we never did go back to the field wereby Boyd could shoot to 1200 yards. The longest shot taken was a mere 450 yards - in that harvested oat field. We confirmed 5 kills and 2 others were hit but not hard enough that they did crawl/limp off into some high weeds - we didn't find them. I doubt they survived.
<br>
<br>Boyd did get some shots on video. It made it rather difficult in that Boyd had to first set up the video camera then go back to the bench, locate the chuck and shoot it hoping it didn't move out of frame before he shot.
<br>
<br>Dave was the spotter with the Swaorvski spotting scope and I glassed with the Swarovski binocs but I actually saw more chucks with my naked eyes then I did using binocs. Its nice to have such good vision [Linked Image]
<br>Dave would get the distance using the Leica Geovids.
<br>
<br>We all had an enjoyable and productive day. We enjoyed checking out Boyd's rifles, especially BOOMER. lol. Boyd's "Big Ugly" as he calls it weighs 46 lbs and it just fits across the back seat of Daves Tahoe. Dave took a picture of me holding it - offhand - and I will pass along that picture as soon as we get the film developed and scanned.
<br>
<br>When that 240gr Match King hits the top of a woodchuck mound the PUFF of dust flying is about 10 feet in diameter. There is absolutely no doubt where the bullet hits, lol.
<br>
<br>All in all we had a good time and we hope Boyd (and anybody else that wants to come over) is able to kill some more or our 2 gazzilion [Linked Image] woodchucks we have around here.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don,Two GAZZILION....I think that's an understatement.Let me know when I can come back.I'll video and you guy's can shoot.I hope you can make it next weekend.You will see alot of neat stuff...Let me know if you are gonna make it.And I'll look for you.....Thank's again......

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Don, please send me your E-mail address - I have a few questions for you regarding a custom rifle project that I have in mind. My E-mail is coco132@cox-internet.com GuyG

Guy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don, I'd like your's and Dave's e-mail also. [email]boyd996yahoo.com...[/email]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Guy,
<br>
<br>Feel free to post your questions here, on the forum. There are a lot of very experienced people about that can help you - no doubt.
<br>
<br>If you would like - send me a "Private Message" and I will respond in kind.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Boyd,
<br>
<br>You already saw - with your own eyes - what woodchucks do to oat fields. As I drove you around yesterday I am sure you saw several other (unharvested) oat fields. You already know what that means. As soon as the nursery harvests those fields, we will be in there. So, if you and anybody else wants to come over again, thats fine with us. Dave and I can shoot - if you like - and you can run the camera's. You already saw - first hand - that these chucks don't stay out very long. One has to be quick to get on them and kill them.
<br>
<br>Sounds like fun to me.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Don, I cannot the private message to work. Guy

Guy
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Guy,
<br>
<br>I sent you a "Private message". When you sign onto 24 hour you will see an envelope "flashing" to the left of the main index (at least thats how I see it). Click on that flashing envelope and you can read the "Private Message" and respond.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>Boyd,
<br>
<br>For some reason I can't send you E-mail.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Don, got the private message, but cannot figure out how to respond. Guess I'm just computer dumb! Guy

Guy
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Guy,
<br>
<br>Click on your name (on your posts). That will take you to your personal info. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. On the lower left click once "Send a Private Message".
<br>
<br>When the next window comes up, put the name "DonKnows" in the appropriate box, Give it a title in the appropriate box and then type a message in the large box below that.
<br>
<br>Then send it
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>P.S. If you need additional help, ask the site owner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don,
<br> Still bragging I see(grin)... 97 and counting. I stand at two drive by coypus... Can't shoot the little suckers now as the grass and soybeans are getting high. May come see you yet;-).
<br>
<br>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Matt,
<br>
<br>No bragging, just having a good time [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Don't the farmers down your way have several cuttings in those hay fields? We keep in constant communication with the farms we hunt - that have hay fields. They then call us when they cut so we can get in the next day.
<br>
<br>While we were out a couple of days ago we had a local guy stop and ask us if we can kill the woodchucks behind his place. Sometimes, just being out where people see you is enough of a reason for them to stop and they ask you to hunt their property.
<br>
<br>We won't be going out tonight or this weekend since I need to load up ammo for the 1000 yard shoot we are going to this weekend, in Williamsport, PA.
<br>
<br>I wonder if they have a "booby" prize for the person that shoots the worst. If they do, I can have them put my name on it ahead of time, lol.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm trying a new load this weekend...So it will probably be me that get's the booby prize....Just put all ten on paper....Some people won't.........

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Boyd,
<br>
<br>10 on paper? Is that paper 10 feet square? [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I thought 2 holes constituted a group [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I will call you later.
<br>
<br>Have a good one,
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don,
<br> Actually have a bit of hay on family land. Kicker is we don't have Hogs. To low, hot, flat, dunno. We are, however, experiencing a coypus population explosion. The little bastards are making swiss cheese out of every ditch bank they can. If only I could get them out of the ditch and in the field...

NRA Life Benefactor Member
T
T
Greetings Gentlemen:
<br>I'm new to this site. My Rock Chuck count is 21 for the year. The Chucks are a problem at our cabin site. There are 26 cabins in the forrest with a no shooting agreement for the area so I am a tactful shooter. These chucks produce more dung that Chuck Schumer. I counted 46 of them by walking less than two miles through the area.
<br>While I normally use a CZ 223 Varmint or Lux on Varmints in this case I'm using a CZ Trainer in .22 LR and a CZ American in 22 mag. I working on reduced loads using Blue Dot for the .223s but I'm not satisfied with them yet. I'm looking for MOA load @ 2300 fps with a 50-55 grain Nosler BT that is not too noisey.
<br>This past week I managed eight kills. Three with the LR and the others with the 22 Mag. The LR kills were taken with one shot each at ranges of 50-65 yards. Hits were two head shots and one upper chest. The ammo was CCIs new Velicitor. This ammo shoots five shot into .75" @ fifty yards with this rifle. The longest shot was 139 yards with the 22 mag. Ranges with the mag were 90-139 yards. The 22 mag ammo was Winchester "Black Box" which will hold 1.1" at 100 yards with this rifle. All shots were upper chest except one that was behind the shoulder of a 95 yard shot. This was the only one to make it to his hole. For the eight chucks I fired nine shots. One LR shot hit a twig 10 feet in front of me and went wide. With the one exception mentioned above the kills were instant....the chucks droped and stayed down.
<br>My routine is to get up and have a cup of coffee and then walk out and bag just one chuck per day just after sun up. Great way to start the day.
<br>Earlier this year I bagged 320 (aprox) White Tailed Prairie Dogs about sixty miles from the cabin. Because of the drought the populationwas down. I shot several that had large black patches on their skin. The Div. of Wildlife told me this is not pleague; rather is is stress from the drought.
<br>
<br>Good hunting

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Don,got me two tonight at 525 from the same hole off my tripod..Shot the first one and about two min later another one came out. He Must have thought me hitting the first on was a lucky shot.And I would probably miss him..He was DEAD wrong.....................Was'nt even after hog's........Red tag deer time of year.................

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.