Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
w/gas check be suitable for a 30-30 or will it still be too soft? I have plenty of pure lead and wheel weights. What lead/ww ratio would be good?

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Pure lead would be way to soft for a 30.30.
I think the better question is what kind of a wheel weight, lino mix would be about right.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
+1

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just use straight WW alloy and air cool them if you want a little expansion that should give you a BHN or around 11 or 12. If you water quench them it will give you a bullet around 15 to 18 BHN. If you want a softer bullet than 11 to 12 mix 3 parts PB to 1 part WW should give you a BHN of around 9.5

Adding pure lead (PB) to WW alloy even at a 50/50 ration is only going to bring the BHN down a couple points so the PB is better used for BP bullets or adding a little tin or WW's to makes some good expanding HP bullets.

The Meplat on the Lee GC 170 gr. 30-30 bullet probably has the smallest FN area compared to some other bullets but it will kill just as well if you put the bullet in the right place expanding or not. It scores about a 105 on Varel Smiths DV scales which should put about a 1" hole through a deer if you shoot it around 1700 to 1900 fps.

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the answers. I've never shot cast bullets in a rifle but have shot thousands in handguns but those were nearly 40 years ago.

I've noticed that Powder Valley is almost out of all brass and I expect bullets to be hard to get in the months to come hence my switch to cast bullets. (Sorry, but I just can't make myself type/say 'boolits' any more than I can say 'bagas', maters' and 'chokes for rutabagas, tomatoes and artichokes). It's just one of my many 'peculiarities. crazy

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
mix 50/50 WW's and pure lead and then when you cast them drop them into a bucket of water out of the mould. You will have the perfect hunting bullet.

Last edited by blammer; 11/23/12. Reason: kant spel

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Blammer. I'll try that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't worry about the "boolit" thing Mickey. I can't do it either.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
(Sorry, but I just can't make myself type/say 'boolits' any more than I can say 'bagas', maters' and 'chokes for rutabagas, tomatoes and artichokes). It's just one of my many 'peculiarities."

Ditto Micky. And I can't call a powder measure a powder 'drop' or 'dump', a rifle a 'stick', a bullet a 'pro-jo', a removable magazine a "clip", a meplat a 'point' or a fat gal 'cute'. Us old guys care about the language more than that!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boomtube
(Sorry, but I just can't make myself type/say 'boolits' any more than I can say 'bagas', maters' and 'chokes for rutabagas, tomatoes and artichokes). It's just one of my many 'peculiarities."

Ditto Micky. And I can't call a powder measure a powder 'drop' or 'dump', a rifle a 'stick', a bullet a 'pro-jo', a removable magazine a "clip", a meplat a 'point' or a fat gal 'cute'. Us old guys care about the language more than that!

AMEN! I can't call a barrel "the tube" or a blackpowder rifle a "smoke pole". I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in this 'wilderness'. smile

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had this crazy idea once of taking linotype cast bullets and cutting them in half, putting the bottom half back in the mold and topping it off with pure lead, sizing and adding a gas check to make the IDEAL cast hunting bullet.... I never did it.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Straight wheel weights +1% tin air cooled sized .001 over bore and Lyman lube will work great of course including gas check.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I cast my .30 hunting bullets out of straight WW's with a pinch of tin to give me better mold fill out. I have found that the resulting 10-12 bhn gives good expansion at .30/30 velocities without leading. Then again, my go-to hunting bullet has a very wide meplat.

For a while I used a ratio of 50/50 WW/pure lead, for a bhn of around 9. They splattered a bit better, but leading commenced after a few shots in the .303 Savage at 'full power' and I didn't want to contend with that so I compromised.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by blammer
mix 50/50 WW's and pure lead and then when you cast them drop them into a bucket of water out of the mould. You will have the perfect hunting bullet.

This is what I do for my pistols. I do add a bit of 95-5 solder for the tin. WW are getting hard to come by.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Running a 170 at 1,900fps, with a gas check, what percent tin would you run if you wanted to rule out leading. Jeff

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Very little. It is more useful as a means of getting good mold fill out with WW material without having to run the pot crazy hot. A percentage point or two of tin won't increase WW hardness appreciably.

I think you'll find that bullet size and shape, powder used, and bore condition will have more to do with leading at that velocity with WW material- but it is getting close to the upper limit in velocity w/o leading with WW's, IMO. Another couple hundred fps and one is well advised to switch to a harder alloy.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not against mixing in another alloy or lowering velocity. The most important thing to me is not messing up my grandads Winchester. I'm looking for a mix a little on the hard side "to avoid leading" that will still be a hunting bullet. WW's are what I have and if the thing to do is mix them 50/50 with something else, that's fine. If I should lower my velocity 200 fps that would be fine to, as long as I could still lay a buck down at a 100 plus yards. I'm simply out of my range of experience. Any suggestions from you gents would be much appreciated. Coleman I apoligize for highjackin yer post. Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, don't give it another thought. I learn stuff by other people asking questions and I have a lot to learn about casting bullets. smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That 170gr. bullet at 1900 fps is just fine for deer, as long as you don't try to shoot into the next county with it.

Remember, the softest you can get away with is best, even if you give up a tiny bit of accuracy. Good expansion with 2 MOA accuracy with a soft bullet is better than 1 MOA accuracy with a hard one that won't expand much if any..

You won't mess up your heirloom Winchester- provided you attain that velocity with the correct powder. 3031, 4895, etc. vs. Bullseye for example. Loaded intelligently it'll be a bit less than standard factory pressures.

Here's a little anecdotal tidbit. The thumbnail test for hardness is fine when starting out. It'll tell you if the alloy is soft enough for deer hunting. WW alloys will tend to age harden after they're cast. Not a whole lot, but some. I like to cast my hunting bullets during the week before the season to be assured they won't be as hard as the ones I cast a year before.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 11/30/12.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It sounds like you've hunted cast bullets for a while. How slow could I push the 170 and still be deer hunting. Do you have any cast load combinations that are tried and true in the field.I plan on using h-335 and the Lee 170 but it's all up in the air. I have a bit of theory but lack in puddin - if you no what I mean. Thanks Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,825
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.