Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Am I the only one who doesn't care for them? If I want something light, I'll grab a lever gun with irons. If I'm using a bolt action, I want something with a med-heavy sporter barrel and a substantial walnut stock....am I the only one?

I read you guys writing about shaving a couple of ounces here and there and I kinda scratch my head most of the time...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm walking a few hundred yards to a deer stand in the Midwest, I don't care about weight. If I'm hiking in the mountains for a week, I'll take the light weight stick every time. In the latter scenario, I don't really want a lever gun with irons when I can have a scoped up bolt action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Am I the only one who doesn't care for them? If I want something light, I'll grab a lever gun with irons. If I'm using a bolt action, I want something with a med-heavy sporter barrel and a substantial walnut stock....am I the only one?

I read you guys writing about shaving a couple of ounces here and there and I kinda scratch my head most of the time...

Most lever guns with irons would suck trying to sheep hunt in steep country at longish ranges.

The right tool for the job. Lightweight bolt-action rifles are great for people that actually carry them long-distances. I don't think most people buy them for prairie dog shooting from a bench.....

YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kinda felt the same way until I actually used a true LW bolt rifle.
Since then 8#+ rifle lost just about all their appeal to me.
My lightest is 6# 1.7oz scoped and it is easily my favorite rifle.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I never cared much about weight until I bought my first lightweight. It was a tikka t3 lite with a little 3-9 wrapped in talleys. Since then, anything over 7.5-8# is just too heavy. And I don't like hunting much with lever guns. Personal preference

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never really gave much thought about an 8.5-9 lb ready rifle either, hunted a lot in Northern, MN and than down along the SD Eastern Boarder.

Busted through the woods and would put on a couple miles around this part of the country, but a few pounds never really mattered.

Started to hunt with a Model 7 and while a little whippy it sure was nice to carry. Not a fly weight by anymeans, but a nice compact decent weight rifle to shoulder. Few years ago I used that same rifle a couple years in a row up in Northern, MN and it was perfect for still hunting and just getting from point A/B going through the woods.

Jump forward to a couple years ago I picked up a Remington Mountain Guide. Think my 7mm-08 goes about 6.9 lbs all ready. Balances so nice, comfortable out to mid ranges and you barely know you're carrying anything.

Life is just one damned thing after another
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never been mountain goat hunting have ya...

If you don't know, you don't know and you don't know.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You're trying to lump a whole lotta hunters who do a whole lotta different hunting into one big pot. There is a real big difference between walking a few hundreds yards to your blind, or even a few miles to a stand in low altitude or flat land, vs climbing to 2-3 miles above sea level on extremely steep terrain. For the majority of my hunting, which is for elk in the rockies, give me plastic stocks, stainless metal, and make it light as reasonably possible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Light weight bolt action rifles stink:

Kimber 84M in .257 Roberts

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 11/23/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm stong as hell so rifle weight means nothing to me... grin

Balance is what I'm after, and that is personal to each rifleman.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Savage LWH in 7mm-08 with a Nikon 3-9x40 and it is just under 7lbs loaded and a JOY to carry, even if it is just a few hills to walk. Very accurate and it does kill stuff.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have to agree with the lightweight fans. I hunt rough country and have come to place high value on light, well balanced and durable rifles. I bought a custom that was built for sheep hunting and it has spoiled me. I took my deer Monday at about 175 yards on a heck of a slope. Never had to think twice about accuracy, distance, etc. The rifle is 7 pounds scoped and drives tacks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ever been elk hunting in the rockies cowboy??

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
No, but I hope to within the next 2-3 years...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the topo lines start stacking up, you'll see what the fuss is all about.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Hmmm. You have sense enough to realize you don't understand something. Not sense enough to realize that maybe it's YOU that's "wrong" and out of step. Don't know what to say to you about that.

I like light bolt actions and synthetic stocks for hunting. I did not always, but after trying one, it didn't take me very long to come to my senses. They are definitely a better mousetrap. Today I have no wood stocked bolt actions. I can't trust them not to shift as the humidity changes.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Whilst you are toting your 9 pound rifle I suggest you make sure you get 6 pound pair of boots.

You'll legs will understand the fuss of shaving a few pounds, both in rifle weight and boot weight.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Handgun, shotgun or rifle I see no need to carry anything more than the minimum necessary by design. My primary elk rifle, a 338-06, put together many years ago is easy to carry and easy to shoot. The elk all taken above 11,000 feet. Works on other critters too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/BCBearHunt023.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/BCBearHunt015.jpg[/img]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
When the topo lines start stacking up, you'll see what the fuss is all about.

Exactly!

Light done right is king IMO.

Last edited by CLB; 11/23/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Oh, then you'll see....you'll see lol.

Seriously though I have hunted with a few guys on their 1st elk hunts and they had the same thoughts you did going into it. A heavier rifle is a stable rifle, if I want light I'll use something else. And those points are valid and do make sense. But by going with something else, like you said a lever action with open sights, well you just extremely limited your shooting capabilities. You'll either have to stick to hunting thick timber, which doesn't always work especially if its dry and crunch (or crunchy frozen snow) or hell even if its snowy because you will slip and fall on down timber a lot, OR, you might end up passing up a lot of shots that are too far away.

If you were set up right to just sit and glass an active meadow or something, the heavier rifle will give you a more stable platform to make the shot. But if you have to go more then a few miles, especially UP hill, you'll spend the rest of the hunt wondering which lightweight rifle you'll be buying for next time haha.

I'm young and in shape, I still hate carrying something over 8.5-9lbs total and even then I was not real happy about carrying a 9lbs 308 this year. Sold the gun, just too dang heavy. Slippery slope though, you sure get to a point of craziness as the calibers go up while the weight goes down

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.