Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
257ROBT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have looked at EABCO 97D rifles for about 6 to 7 years now and even handled a couple at several different gun shows. I really liked how the felt and pointed. I just have never had the nerve to order one for myself. I recently found this article as well:

97D

EABCO

I am wondering what the gun writers think of these rifles and if they have had any experience with them?

Thanks,

Dale

Last edited by 257ROBT; 11/21/12.

The more you know, the less you need.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not a gun writer,but my opinion is junk!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Huntz
Not a gun writer,but my opinion is junk!!!

Being kinda nice aren't you?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've never shot one, so have no opinion.

Would appreciate, however, hearing some specifics from Huntz.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Model 97 24" in 30-40 Krag and it shot very well. My rifle had about a 12 ounce trigger and was not suitable for me at least, to use hunting as if you put your index finger in the trigger guard you had to be real careful not brush the trigger. Being a fat fingered guy this was a problem for me. A two to three lb. trigger would have been preferable and I should have specified that upon ordering. That was my fault.

Being left handed the ambidextrous stock left a little to be desired as there was a long piece of the stock that was in a square where normally a pistol grip would have been. It was kind of clumsy for me. The metal block that joined the square part of the stock to the pistol action of the falling block was finished nice but the metal parts didn't line up all that well and a noticeable ridge existed between the two on one side.

On my rifle I had to outside neck turn every case as the chamber was extra tight. Mine shot well(MOA) with 125 and 150 grain ballistic tips. The barrel was finished nice as was the action and the internal trigger group parts. I just was not comfortable with that set up. A right handed person would probably fare better.

I would have kept mine if it would have been more hunter friendly. I would be a better buyer if I purchased the second time around. At that time EABCO was located in Alexandria MN.and that was about 10 years past. I'm sure progress has been made since that time.

Personally for me I like the mechanics and the stock fit of the non monte synthetic handi rifle better than all the other rifles I've had. They fit me right and several of my 30-30 Topper barreled rifles and a 30-06 Handi have been accurate as any off the rack standard bolt gun I've shot. Of course I'm getting to the point where I just want to shoot my rifles and hunt with them more instead of tinkering with them. Hope this helps as not a lot of others I have found owned these rifles.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hard to admit that one's opinion is "junk".

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
257ROBT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
I had a Model 97 24" in 30-40 Krag and it shot very well. My rifle had about a 12 ounce trigger and was not suitable for me at least, to use hunting as if you put your index finger in the trigger guard you had to be real careful not brush the trigger. Being a fat fingered guy this was a problem for me. A two to three lb. trigger would have been preferable and I should have specified that upon ordering. That was my fault.

Being left handed the ambidextrous stock left a little to be desired as there was a long piece of the stock that was in a square where normally a pistol grip would have been. It was kind of clumsy for me. The metal block that joined the square part of the stock to the pistol action of the falling block was finished nice but the metal parts didn't line up all that well and a noticeable ridge existed between the two on one side.

On my rifle I had to outside neck turn every case as the chamber was extra tight. Mine shot well(MOA) with 125 and 150 grain ballistic tips. The barrel was finished nice as was the action and the internal trigger group parts. I just was not comfortable with that set up. A right handed person would probably fare better.

I would have kept mine if it would have been more hunter friendly. I would be a better buyer if I purchased the second time around. At that time EABCO was located in Alexandria MN.and that was about 10 years past. I'm sure progress has been made since that time.

Personally for me I like the mechanics and the stock fit of the non monte synthetic handi rifle better than all the other rifles I've had. They fit me right and several of my 30-30 Topper barreled rifles and a 30-06 Handi have been accurate as any off the rack standard bolt gun I've shot. Of course I'm getting to the point where I just want to shoot my rifles and hunt with them more instead of tinkering with them. Hope this helps as not a lot of others I have found owned these rifles.

Thanks for the feedback. This is the type that helps out greatly. Funny you mention that you had a 30-40 Krag. The two that I have seen were chambered in 375 Win and the other -- 30-40 Krag. Any chance it would have been yours? I saw that one about 3 years ago, I am guessing, at the fall gun show at the Marshfield Armory. I have looked at Handi's as well, just because for a little, you can do alot.

Dale

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257ROBT
Originally Posted by Chainsaw

Thanks for the feedback. This is the type that helps out greatly. Funny you mention that you had a 30-40 Krag. The two that I have seen were chambered in 375 Win and the other -- 30-40 Krag. Any chance it would have been yours? I saw that one about 3 years ago, I am guessing, at the fall gun show at the Marshfield Armory. I have looked at Handi's as well, just because for a little, you can do alot.

Dale

Mine was sold to a guy who lived on the Texas Arkansas border so I would doubt it was the one I previously owned but you never know.

Handi's require a lot of tinkering (at least mine did) and you are always susceptible to pin and mainly pivot wear in the frame. I only have one higher pressure set up the 30-06 and a .223 barrel also fits that receiver. The others are all 30-30's and by following the LE loads for 30-30 the pressure is several thousand CUP units below the SAAMI std. Handi's/Toppers personally fit me well that is why I use them.

Live west of Green Bay about 25 minutes near Navarino/Briarton and never attended the Marshfield show.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own one with a serial number in the two digits, in 6 PPC. Mine was built when Eben was still using Shilen barrels, and she shoots sub-half MOA with good hand loads. I've shot a five - five shot series that averaged in the threes. Still trying to repeat that one.... wink

The workmanship on mine is very nice, the trigger is a delight -- if very light.

It is one of my favorite rifles -- but not robust. I'd never buy one built for a rimless case again, or for a "high pressure" round. Using Quickload estimates, the frame starts flexing somewhere around 45,000 to 50,000 PSI, and the block starts hanging up. But, for rimmed cartridges -- that's not an issue.

It's not something I'd buy as a primary hunting rifle, though my ex shot a couple of antelope with it. She enjoyed shooting it, and had confidence in it, so that's what she used.

I'm also told that they now make their own barrels, which would concern me some.

That said, if you like shooting something different, as I do, you would probably enjoy owning and shooting one. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Junk? Hardly. More like a precision instrument that needs to handled as such. I have one in 6.5 BRM but it so prefers 140-grain Berger VLDs that I've found no other bullet to shoot in it. The Berger VLD, though, is more than sufficient, I just like variety. I have just received some of the new Barnes LRX in 127 grains and I will be trying them when I have time. Now, when I say it is a precision instrument that is not to say it is delicate. It is a fine-crafted rifle. Light but tough. Points naturally. But the chamber is such (on mine) that you're not going to throw any load in it and be happy. Also, it is very classy looking. My experience is only with the 6.5 BRM so others may have had different experiences with other cartridges. I've taken several deer and antelope with mine. The rifle shoots much better than I do. With my go-to load with the Bergers and a bench rest I'm sure a bench rest competitor could shoot one-hole groups. As for me, it is the most accurate rifle I own. Certainly a good choice in the 6.5 caliber for those who want an accurate rifle with very, very little recoil but shooting a bullet with terrific BC and sectional density. If I wanted a single-shot truck gun I would have bought a Handi-Rifle (I actually own several); for more versatility probably a T/C, but this rifle appeals to people who want something a little different.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Also, it is very classy looking.
I'm going to stop your little love fest right there. That EABCO rifle is the antithesis of "classy looking." It has aesthetics only a mother could love.

Classy looking:
[Linked Image]

Classy looking:
[Linked Image]

Classy looking:
[Linked Image]

Classy looking:
[Linked Image]

Classy looking:
[Linked Image]

Classy looking:
[Linked Image]

Classy looking:
[img]http://gastatic.com/UserImages/5650/982667494/pop_wm_3822814.jpg[/img]

NOT CLASSY LOOKING:
[img]http://www.eabco.com/store/images/products/secondary/127-97srifle-3.jpg[/img]

There can be a debate as to whether an EABCO rifle is "junk," but this "classy looking" crap ain't gonna fly.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bricktop, classy, as in beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Bricktop, classy, as in beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Then your eyes suck. End of story.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've never shot one, so have no opinion.

Would appreciate, however, hearing some specifics from Huntz.

A friend bought one from EA Brown.Could not hit the broad side of a barn shooting from the inside.We bore scoped it and the rifling had chunks missing.This is on a new Rifle in their 6.5 magnum whizbang cartridge.Their service Dept sucks and I will leave it at that.Not a good experience.This is my personal opinion and if you like yours good deal for you!!!!Huntz

Last edited by Huntz; 11/23/12.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That is one of the ugliest rifles I've ever seen.

257ROBT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the feedback, good or bad. This is the kind of info I am looking for. I am more than likely getting rid of a few hunting rifles that I won't use anymore (getting fed up with rifle season in WI), and am planning on shooting alot more paper. I am looking for something to use more on the range than in the field. I might just go with an AR like I was originally thinking. Oh ya, I still think it is a good looking rifle.

Dale

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bricktop and pabucktail have this contraption pegged. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

One of the best-known rifles I've never seen in my life.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Life Is Too Short To Hunt With a FUGLY Rifle.

And that rifle defines FUGLY grin

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in no way, shape or form a gun writer, that being said, that rifle looks like it was designed by a committee. But hey if it'll shoot then "fat girls need love too."

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,152
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.