Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dawgin'it
Bullet performance is generally measured in percentage of weight retention from new to recovered bullet. In this case, the Partition bullets lost the top half of their lead core....not what you want for optimal bullet performance.

Congratulations on the nice buck, but your Partition bullets underperformed for you at least in this instance.

We have a comedian in our midst laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Nice buck but it is hard to figure what 150gr bullet out of a .308 would not have worked well with your great shot placement.

I realize you would like to keep everything the same but from where I sit the .308 is very flexible in regard to bullets and it seems hard to find a bad choice if the shooter does his part

Agreed... one of the 308's many beauties is it's just not that tough on bullets.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bullet performance is generally measured in percentage of weight retention from new to recovered bullet. In this case, the Partition bullets lost the top half of their lead core....not what you want for optimal bullet performance.

Congratulations on the nice buck, but your Partition bullets underperformed for you at least in this instance.

Very funny!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice Blacktail but looks under dead.

The PT Gold are almost the same as some of the standard PT that have the partition a little more forward. The steel failsafe thing did prevent the mid drift bulge but that is about it. They do seem to retain more weight and track straighter but hard to say for sure. I would always buy them on closeout and then remove the moly coat. Seemed to run up pressure but otherwise would be in the same group as the standard PT and load.

I think the 165gr PT has a longer shank and the 200 does for sure.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

You expect this, or what?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good job, Musky - and Nosler.

With the thread titled as it is I almost didn't open this thread, I was thinking that this whole board was really going down-hill if someone was seriously trashing a partition as a game bullet. You got me, man...

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dawgin'it,

Several other people have already commented on your post about bullet performance being judged on weight retention, but I still have to make a couple of comments.

First, I judge big game bullet performance by how well any bullet kills animals, not by some after-the-fact statistic. I've been using Nosler Partitions for around 35 years now, and have seen what they do to big game well over 100 times--and that's game from pronghorns to Cape buffalo. They kill VERY well, whether they lose the lead in the front end or not. In fact, overall they've killed at least as quickly and often quicker than bullets retaining more weight.

Two, I have yet to observe a Nosler Partition that didn't penetrate sufficiently, even though some hunters didn't use as much bullet as some experts generally suggest.

Now you can return to entertaining the rest of the posters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Dumb post of the year from a very inexperienced poster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If an animal drops in its tracks you got the bullet performance you paid for.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dawgin'it,

Several other people have already commented on your post about bullet performance being judged on weight retention, but I still have to make a couple of comments.

First, I judge big game bullet performance by how well any bullet kills animals, not by some after-the-fact statistic. I've been using Nosler Partitions for around 35 years now, and have seen what they do to big game well over 100 times--and that's game from pronghorns to Cape buffalo. They kill VERY well, whether they lose the lead in the front end or not. In fact, overall they've killed at least as quickly and often quicker than bullets retaining more weight.

Two, I have yet to observe a Nosler Partition that didn't penetrate sufficiently, even though some hunters didn't use as much bullet as some experts generally suggest.

Stop making sense. A few posters were this || close to putting up girly pics. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dawgin'it,

John is describing exactly my experience. Heck I think the front of a Partition coming apart is why they are so deadly. I've used lots of Partitions in 22, 24, 25, 6.5 and 30 and they are really effective. Now I've only used a TSX three times and a Scirocco once so far so I have limited experience with these bullets, while they killed fine the Partition still seemed to kill quicker.

Last edited by LBP; 12/01/12.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Muskeg Man, nice buck.

It looks like the 150 PT Gold has more of an ass end to it than the standard .308 cal 150 PT.

Here's one from a (very dead)pronghorn. Broadside, 150-200 yards, 300WSM.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/01/12.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It does seem like the shank portion of the 150 grain .30 caliber is a tad short, doesn't it?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
It does seem like the shank portion of the 150 grain .30 caliber is a tad short, doesn't it?

IMO, it is. The 150/30cal NP is one of those I just don't use.

Course the OP is talking about the Partition Gold with the partition more forward. Different bullet really.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 30 cal Noz 150 PT is one bullet that's given me some challenges in terms of accuracy. Not that me being challenged is anything out of the normal...grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/01/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

I've always seen the 150 Partition as something for the .300 Savage and .308 Winchester and others in that class. It often shoots quite well in those rounds. Eileen used one from the .308 to kill a BIG pig in Texas a few years ago. She put the bullet through both shoulders and the spine--and the bullet exited, that other modern measure how well a bullet works.

Must also comment that John Nosler actually designed the Partition's front core to disintegrate. This was because he wanted an all-around bullet, one that would kill deer quickly yet penetrate on bigger game. He was an experienced hunter who'd seen how "softer" bullets killed deer. The front core of Partitions is made out of a relatively soft lead alloy, with less antimony than the cores of all the cup-and-core big game bullets I'm aware of, in order to help it break up and do more damage to the chest cavity.

This also, incidentally, makes Partitions a very effective prairie dog bullet for those who simply must have pass-throughs on PD's, in order to conform to the modern mantra of always exiting. Meanwhile the front core does a pretty good job on the "lift-off" part of prairie doggin'.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Partitions are low BC, but if you can put them where you want them, they are nasty killers.

I've not killed anywhere near the number of animals with them that some here have (maybe 6 or 7), but the ones I have killed all went down quickly.

This year I shot a blacktail buck with a 160gr Partition out of a .280AI. My shot (shooting off-hand) went farther forward than I wanted. The bullet broke the onside humerus in half, broke a rib in half, broke an offside rib in half, broke the offside humerus in half, and then exited. (And it probably only retained 63% of it's weight.)

I don't get the science of it, but I do understand the results. Several experienced shooters have tried to get me to dislike the Partition, but I just can't.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders

I don't get the science of it, but I do understand the results. Several experienced shooters have tried to get me to dislike the Partition, but I just can't.

A rather nice summation. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a confession to make. The only paritition I have actually used on game is the 95 grain .243" partition. That being said, I have recovered one of those, and the front portion is completely gone. Does this bother me? NOT IN THE LEAST. The deer dropped in it's tracks and was shot directly in the chest. The bullet was recovered in the right ham.

I was taken to task by a fella that used to post here about using the partition in that particular application. He opined that partitions weren't necessary in bulets under the bore size of .30 if I remember correctly. My own convition was that penetration was even more important when hunting with bullets .277" and below.

I really wasn't trying to be a smarta$$, But I couldn't convince him otherwise.

Partitions work when it comes to putting meat in the freezer. They work near and far and they work on animals large and small.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dawgin'it,

Waaaaaay too easy on him.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (320090T, 303savage, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,244 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,518
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.