Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The OP should grab a GAP Non-typical in 7WSM and call it a day. There's not much room for improvement when you start at the top, though wink

Yep. Wide range of good bullets too.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't believe I read all the post on this thread. A lot of good advise for sure. Someone said the OP is 14 years old, I just read that he was young. As long as your spending daddy's money, get what ever you want, right. Figure out what caliber is coolest, order it then go shoot it. After all this is the only rifle that you will own during your entire lifetime. Be sure to post pics of what you decide to get, I for one will be waiting to see how you used the information provided to you on this subject.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
+1 Tim.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The OP should grab a GAP Non-typical in 7WSM and call it a day. There's not much room for improvement when you start at the top, though wink

Not much room for improvement.... I like how you left just enough room for the Mash guys to squeeze in.

I've not noticed any difference in on-game performance, or reaction to a hit, between the various big .30s and the big 7s. What I have noticed a substantial difference in.... is the ability of folks to shoot the 7... they seems miles ahead of your average guy with a .300... especially a 14 year old.

Were it me... I'd rock a 24" sporter 7 Remmie on your action of choice. Ti, McStock, Manners.... whatever. Snatch a sub-$300 Conquest.... Talleys.... pick one of about 100 fabulous game bullets and proceed to sluce whatever walks this great earth... suffice a few meanies.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps a GAP in 7 Mashburn Super.... wink

And or a NULA or Forbes...<g>

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 11/27/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by BagABuck
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Tanner
What is knockdown?

It's a myth .30 Mag guys made up..... happens to be the only trump card they have on the 7mm Rem. Mag.....

I agree partly on that, shot placement is 75% of it, but knockdown is the other 25%, and without a doubt not a myth.

Yes it is.

Get a 30/06.

Pardon me for being abrupt with the young fella,but I bet he is no where near as recoil proof as he likes to beleive.Recoil tolerance has almost nothing to do with tough shoulders.

A 300 RUM (like a 300 Weatherby or 300 RUM)is a cartridge for thoroughly seasoned and experienced riflemen with very high round count under their belts,ingrained good shooting skills and innured to recoil through experience;not for kids or other neophytes who don't burn several thousand rounds of centerfire ammo annually and believe in myths like "knockdown power".To believe otherwise is wishful thinking.

"Knockdown power" is a very well placed bullet,and nothing else.

If the OP's heart and mind are set on a 300 magnum today I would get a 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag.They are the most practical, most available and (in the case of the WSM),the easiest to shoot well, which is far more imortant than myths about additional knockdown power.

If you can't get it done with one a 300 WSM or 300Win Mag, you should likely stay home.

Thanks Bob. Young man, this is my advice too. Let us save you 30 years of cartridge schizophrenia. You can thank us later grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I wonder if he lives in Paradise AK and just loves to fish? laugh

Bingo! grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A good brake will chop that recoil down fairly well. Although I don't want to be "that guy" at the range. Now on to the knockdown matter, here's an example; A little girl went hunting at my hunting club last year, she was using a. 223, she shot the deer directly in center mass, missing the heart and lungs greatly, the deer ran a good distance and it was barely found. The exact same shot placement was used later on with a .280, the deer dropped right there. Shot placements is key, I will agree, but knockdown is a factor that creates room for error. A. 223 to the heart kills a whitetail every time, heck, a .22lr can kill a bear if you shoot it in the eye, but who in the world wants to feed their family with a gun that limits their kill possibility? I'm not saying that people should shoot whitetail with a. 338 lapua, but normally comfort starts in the middle, if you feel comfortable shooting something with a. 223 then go for it, but I don't. But all of it is based on shot placement and room for error (also know as knockdown). I am also starting to put my eyes on smaller caliber because of this forum though, I was looking at a .260 but I might as well use a. 308. I don't know why but I have my eyes set on a short mag, but it's hard to decide, if they make a 7mm short mag. I think that would be perfect. Thanks for posting it really got me thinking.

Hmmmm? The OP knows what a .338 Lapua is but is unaware of 7mm WSM and SAUM?

John after rereading the OP's post I think your on to something!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not Larry.

Me

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I must disagree. These are three round I know practically nothing about besides ballistics. I take all comments into consideration. From the comments I now know: The UM is a master's rifle, i'm not a master. The. 300 SAUM is effective but unavailable. And the .300 Win. Mag. is balanced, as in decent recoil and good accuracy. I could honestly say that from the comments I've learned that knockdown is not as important as accuracy, but still needs to be relevant(Although the reason is significantly more than that). I've also learned from what i've read that 7mm SMs and .270 SMs give me a unique gun with great results. Honestly if i were you i'de be more worried about me trying to get away from the crowd and changing my opinions from other people's opinions and facts too easily. At my age(now days) when you ask about one caliber, another one I've never heard of will come up. But in all rwality, you shoot a deer in the heart with a .223 it dies, same thing with a. 50, that to me proves accuracy is more important than knockdown no matter what. That shows me that if you put that gun in your shoulder alittle more, that could effect your shot, same with flinch. So I guess i'm saying, if I'm elk hunting with a. 270, and my friend has a .375 I could care less.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ok......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BagABuck,

Just a couple thoughts because I was a ballistics hound as a youngster as well. Presently, I am infatuated with the .325 WSM for reasons that escape me at the moment. But, I don't really need one. Same for the 6.5 Swede, though that one I may really need.

As somebody said, though, "only accurate rifles are interesting." And that got me thinking about optics, which I hope you haven't left out of the equation.

I'm not an optics expert by any means, but I'd be in favor of getting a good rifle/cartridge combination that you can shoot all day at the range with an absolute primo scope.

I've a Iraq vet friend who owns a Class III manufacturing company. The firearm he has the most fun with is a customized, integrally-suppressed CZ bolt action in .22 lr with a mil-dot Nightforce scope on top. "See that leaf at 100 yards out on the lake?" Click, click, hits the leaf. Then he chooses another target, adjusts again, and hits it. This from the picnic table with a bipod.

I know you're not looking for a .22, but I'm thinking a nice traditional cartridge in the .270, .30, 7mm area (short action and/or mag if you like) in a good platform with an absolute "bomber" scope will let you shoot enough rounds to be lights out. You may not have the biggest ballistics on the block, but you'll be able to do more with what you do have.

Because it's not beating you to death, you'll get lots and lots of good practice, limiting flinches and bad habits. Because you reload, you'll have a wide variety of bullet and powder combinations to test out.

I'm not recommending a Nightforce or any other particular scope, but what I am recommending is get a really, really good one, and learn to use the combination. A nice rifle, with an even nicer scope. Us old farts have a saying (one of many), "it's not the wand, it's the magician."

Just my .02.

Good luck to you.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Rubeus_Hagrid
BagABuck,

Just a couple thoughts because I was a ballistics hound as a youngster as well. Presently, I am infatuated with the .325 WSM for reasons that escape me at the moment. But, I don't really need one. Same for the 6.5 Swede, though that one I may really need.

As somebody said, though, "only accurate rifles are interesting." And that got me thinking about optics, which I hope you haven't left out of the equation.

I'm not an optics expert by any means, but I'd be in favor of getting a good rifle/cartridge combination that you can shoot all day at the range with an absolute primo scope.

I've a Iraq vet friend who owns a Class III manufacturing company. The firearm he has the most fun with is a customized, integrally-suppressed CZ bolt action in .22 lr with a mil-dot Nightforce scope on top. "See that leaf at 100 yards out on the lake?" Click, click, hits the leaf. Then he chooses another target, adjusts again, and hits it. This from the picnic table with a bipod.

I know you're not looking for a .22, but I'm thinking a nice traditional cartridge in the .270, .30, 7mm area (short action and/or mag if you like) in a good platform with an absolute "bomber" scope will let you shoot enough rounds to be lights out. You may not have the biggest ballistics on the block, but you'll be able to do more with what you do have.

Because it's not beating you to death, you'll get lots and lots of good practice, limiting flinches and bad habits. Because you reload, you'll have a wide variety of bullet and powder combinations to test out.

I'm not recommending a Nightforce or any other particular scope, but what I am recommending is get a really, really good one, and learn to use the combination. A nice rifle, with an even nicer scope. Us old farts have a saying (one of many), "it's not the wand, it's the magician."

Just my .02.

Good luck to you.

good argument for a heavy-barrel .308 whistle

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I think as of now i'm set on a 7mm or .270, either in SM or SAUM, as far as SM goes i'll be getting a .270 WSM, but if the SAUM on either caliber is better in my eyes i'll probably get that, all depends, as for the scope situation, I really have no clue. I've lived off of 30 year old scopes that cost less than $30 (at that time at least). I know Nightforce scopes are really nice, but they cost a pretty penny. All I could ever ask for is a 4-12 with mil-dots. I don't know what to call it, but it's the third knob on some scopes( elevation, windage, and whatever it's called). As you see, as far as scopes go, I really know hardly anything. I'll go to the Optics section once i've picked my caliber and try to sponge up everything I can.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rather than 7mm or .270.... you should go with the B-29... it's a bad azz round. Had a write-up on it a couple years ago in Rifle magazine. You may ask Mule Deer.... he was one of the guys who created the cartridge.

Not a lot of info out on it.... but ask around here and you may be able to find some stuff out. I think it would be exactly what you're looking for.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BagABuck - i think you're on the right track if you're keeping your mind open to wisdom and eschewing hype. An accurate rifle that you can shoot well, with a cartridge/caliber that has reasonable kinetic ability and you will win the day. You will shoot better and grow in confidence. Shot placement is 99% of the shooting part of hunting (and shooting isn't the only important aspect of hunting!).

Don't let mean-spirited fools discourage you - regardless of your (or their) age - hater's are always going to be just that and nothing more. Simply remain humble regardless of the quantity/quality of information you gather and keep an open mind.

The 7mm caliber (and the .308 as well) has a wide array of bullets you can choose from since you reload.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
It's not Larry.

Lil Fish or Lil Fish wannbe it matter not. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good brake will chop that recoil down fairly well. Although I don't want to be "that guy" at the range. Now on to the knockdown matter, here's an example; A little girl went hunting at my hunting club last year, she was using a. 223, she shot the deer directly in center mass, missing the heart and lungs greatly, the deer ran a good distance and it was barely found. The exact same shot placement was used later on with a .280, the deer dropped right there. Shot placements is key, I will agree, but knockdown is a factor that creates room for error. A. 223 to the heart kills a whitetail every time, heck, a .22lr can kill a bear if you shoot it in the eye, but who in the world wants to feed their family with a gun that limits their kill possibility? I'm not saying that people should shoot whitetail with a. 338 lapua, but normally comfort starts in the middle, if you feel comfortable shooting something with a. 223 then go for it, but I don't. But all of it is based on shot placement and room for error (also know as knockdown). I am also starting to put my eyes on smaller caliber because of this forum though, I was looking at a .260 but I might as well use a. 308. I don't know why but I have my eyes set on a short mag, but it's hard to decide, if they make a 7mm short mag. I think that would be perfect. Thanks for posting it really got me thinking.

Not even dreaming of being close.

Don't you have some snakes to grind????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rogue

Not even dreaming of being close.

Don't you have some snakes to grind????

How cute. laugh

Another Lil Fish wannbe. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,330
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.