-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aint' a thing wrong with your choices...

I would expect that in the normal course of things that everything but the 10-22, the 25-06, and the shotgun will likely gather dust...

What those picks will do, and well, leaves little on the table....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've NOT read all responses so I just have 3 suggestions. Personal opinions only.

1. Hawkeye

2. Howa. Makes W Vanguards unless there's been a change I don't know about. Howa should be less expensive. (cheaper) I've had 2 Howa's a 270 & 06, both were very good.

3. Check out the CZ's weight. The few I've handled were chunky & heavy.

My opinions only. YMMV

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by jwall
I've NOT read all responses so I just have 3 suggestions. Personal opinions only.

1. Hawkeye

2. Howa. Makes W Vanguards unless there's been a change I don't know about. Howa should be less expensive. (cheaper) I've had 2 Howa's a 270 & 06, both were very good.

3. Check out the CZ's weight. The few I've handled were chunky & heavy.

My opinions only. YMMV

I may go with the Hawkeye. I will see what kind of deal I can get on the SS version.

I considered the Howa but the price difference I think is not large enough to forgo the MOA accuracy guarantee of Weatherby.

Yeah I saw the weight of the CZ and it is a bit of a concern but my 30-06 is a pound and a half heavier I believe. So comparatively it would seem lighter I think. I have seen the reviews and the CZ seems to have good reviews among 9.3 shooters but I am open to other suggestions on the 9.3.

Thanks

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
More shotguns, less rifles. No reason to get a Vanguard unless you're getting a Weatherby caliber. I'd go with the .257 ROY instead of a 25-06 or just buy a good, used 700 if I was wedded to the 25-06.

I have shot a 25-06 in the vanguard that is my friends. It is a sweet shooter. 257 Weatherby is nice but very hard to find ammo for in small towns. Also from what I hear will go through a barrel much faster with not enough upside for me personally.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
22lr, 223, 308, 375, 12 ga. is what I settled on--standard, useful group.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Here's what I would do:

1. .300 magnum--skip the 25-06, the .308, and the 9.3. Or maybe just get a 30-06. A 30-06 is no slouch for long range shooting and I prefer the extra velocity.

2. If I thought I really needed a long range varmint rifle, depending on what kind of varmints you're going to hunt, get a real varmint rifle--.223 or .243.

3. .22 LR of my choice, probably a bolt action.

4. 12 gauge shotgun, probably an O/U.

If I really thought I needed something bigger than a 30-06 or .300 magnum for big bear (you don't for elk), remember that it will cost you about $15,000 for the bear hunt. I would hold off buying a big rifle until such a trip, buy one for the trip, and maybe sell it afterwards.

That's what I would do. No two shooters will come up with the same list.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently many people are reading the original post rather hastily, because it plainly states he already has a .30-06 and a 12-gauge--though he might get rid of the .30-06.

I'd also like to comment on somebody's observation that the CZ 550's are heavy and clunky. They are a little heavier than some American sporters, but my CZ 550 9.3x62 weighed 8-1/2 pounds, with scope and mounts, during the 6 years it had the factory stock. It wasn't the most stylish stock in the world, but I didn't find it too heavy, whether hunting in the mountains of Montana and British Columbia, or in the rough country along the Vaal River in South Africa. It is also one of my most favored big game rifles (one of the reasons it has a custom stock now), and I've used it a lot more than my .338 Winchester or .375 H&H in the past decade.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Well I agree that the 308 is what I will be using most as I deer hunt mostly. However, I will be doing some Elk and Black bear hunting. Where I am going next year for BB they can easily go 450# or more for a good one. I have seen them there that big before while deer hunting. Also I have already gotten a Rocky Mtn Elk from Cali and it was killed with my 30-06 so I know they are good for that. But I am planning on doing some Roosevelt hunting and they can go 1000# or more for a big one so the 9.3 would give me a better feeling for that use. As well as just being cool. I agree the 9.3 is more of a luxury but I am pretty set on it.

8.5 lbs one the CZ is nothing compared to my 30.06 which is 10 or more. I don't use slings on my hunting rifles and just carry them. Ever since I missed the opportunity on a couple trophy blacktails because my flippin rifle was over my shoulder. So I have been carrying that 10lbs+ Mossberg on long 10-15 miles or so a day still hunting excursions so anything less than 9lbs will feel light smile

The 25-06 I will most likely not use for deer a great deal but for Antelope and *cross-finger* sheep and also long range bobcat/coyote.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
1. Ruger MkII .22 LR pistol.
2. Ruger 10/22 rifle
3. Remington 870 3" 12 gauge 28 inch barrel with choke tubes
4. Tikka T3 .223 remington Leupold VXII 3x9 LR reticle
5. Ruger Hawkeye .30-06 Leupold VXII 3x9 LR reticle

That'll cover all your hunting needs.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
fixitquick79;

Everyone has prejudices and preferences based on who they are and their experiences. You will never find complete agreement here. You have given careful reflection to your list; it is yours not for someone else. Don't expect them to adopt it.

My advice is go with your list and choices, there's really nothing wrong with it. It may change over time, as preferences vary with age, experience and venue.

After 60+ years of gun ownership of almost anything from .22 LR to .458 Win Mag, I can honestly say they are only tools of the trade and none of 'em can come close to meeting our deepest needs or expectations in this life, just like any thing else in a hedonistic, materialistic world.

Some do a slightly better job than others, perhaps, but not in any exponential way! I have always liked 300's over the 30-06, but I have to admit that the 308 Win is maybe a more logical choice for deer. And I now prefer the 9.3 X 62 for big bear over the .375 H&H (have owned 3 of the H&H). And, well, I couldn't really be without a lever gun in .45-70... do I need more than just one or the other? Nah, I just like a bit of variety. But bigger bores do seem to hammer 'em while I see the "smaller" bores for smaller.

Stick with your ideas... for now! smile

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This thread about five guns is depressing. Yea I have all the guns I want and for sure have all I will ever need for the hunting I will do. And hell yea I'm gonna buy some more, need em or not.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
fixit,

I might also mention that CZ makes a 550 carbine in 9.3x62 with a Kevlar stock, weighing 7 pounds. One of my good friends bought one a few months ago and it's pretty nifty!

I might also mention that the folks who've been giving you THEIR list of the perfect all-around 5-firearm outfit are, as somebody's already pointed out, prejudiced.

Personally, I've used far too many rifles and shotguns on various animals around the globe to believe in any such perfect list. I even own and use rifles very similar to the ones suggested by them, as well as shotguns and even handguns, and don't find anything magical about them--or unmagical, either. At least 90% of rifle hunting is shot placement, not the cartridge or rifle, and at least 90% of shotgun shooting is fit, not the gauge or gun. If you can shoot reasonably well, the list you came up with will work fine--as will just about anything else suggested here.

And once again, a lot of people are still missing the fact that you already own a 12-gauge that apparently satisfies your needs. But then the Campfire is notorious for threads that ignore every other post--including some of the original post.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
1.) Ruger American or possibly Hawkeye .308 (General kick around deer, hog, etc.)

2.) Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 25-06 (Long range open country antelope, sheep, varmint, deer)

3.) CZ 550 9.3x62 (Bear, Elk, basically anything the .308 is close but not quite big enough for)

4.) Ruger 10/22 takedown (squirrel, rabbit, behind the seat of the truck gun.)

5.) Some affordable but good 20GA over/under shotgun. Possibly a CZ. (Doves, quail, etc.)

I already own a Mossberg 810 30-06 I have had for 10 years but it is super heavy and a pain to lug around and (has served me faithfully though, being the first rifle I bought myself for deer hunting) .308 will do anything a 30-06 will so I will probably pass it on to a needy friend or family member.

I also own a good Turkey, duck, and pheasant gun in a Camo Verona 12GA auto. So I am good there.

I finally have a decent job and can afford to buy some reasonably priced good quality firearms. I am aiming to get these within the next year as California is starting mandatory registration on all new purchase/transfers of long guns as of Jan. 1st 2014. So I want to get them before then to keep them as unaware of what firearms I own as possible.

Oh I also will have 2-4 AR rifles built by the end of Feb. for SHTF or WROL situations and before they ban them here all together.

Let me know what you thing or if you have comparably prices alternatives to recommend.

Thanks/

Looks like a well thought out plan to me, like someone else mentioned earler a CZ 452 or 455 in 22 lr wiuld be an excellent substitute for a Ruger 10-22. You may consider buying a used shotgun, that way you could get a really good gun for the same amount of money that a good shotgun would cost. Thinking about doing the same myself although it will be a 12 gauge in my case.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
.223, .25-06, 6.5x55, .22, and 12 gauge

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wondering why a .25-06 and 6.5x55? I love both cartridges and have hunted with 'em a lot, but given the bullet construction of today don't see much difference between them.

And once again, he has a 12-gauge.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i was just saying what i had that i'd be able to compare. one of those things...204 or 223 or 22-250 or 243 all do the same thing. he can't go wrong if he buys quality and hits where he aims.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
john, you cannot tell me a looney like you really asked why about rifle choices. weirdo. lol

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
More shotguns, less rifles. No reason to get a Vanguard unless you're getting a Weatherby caliber. I'd go with the .257 ROY instead of a 25-06 or just buy a good, used 700 if I was wedded to the 25-06.

RE vanguard, other than the fact that you are getting a 700 clone basically, and could often be found around 299.00........

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
1.) Ruger American or possibly Hawkeye .308 (General kick around deer, hog, etc.)

2.) Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 25-06 (Long range open country antelope, sheep, varmint, deer)

3.) CZ 550 9.3x62 (Bear, Elk, basically anything the .308 is close but not quite big enough for)

4.) Ruger 10/22 takedown (squirrel, rabbit, behind the seat of the truck gun.)

5.) Some affordable but good 20GA over/under shotgun. Possibly a CZ. (Doves, quail, etc.)

Thanks/

That's a good list, although "affordable but good 20 GA o/u" might be hard to do. I assume you're buying new guns at retail as opposed to shopping for months to find the right used gun at the right price. If you're buying new and on a budget, the CZ O/U's are nice. I don't own one but have seen many on the range and they get the job done, though you won't be mistaking them for a Browning or a Beretta any time soon.

I've got a Ruger 10/22 take down and it's a neat little rifle. Discount the nay-sayers, but realize that the 10/22 take down is what it is: a light rifle with a heavy trigger. Unless you want to put a few hundred dollars worth of aftermarket parts into your 10/22 the rifle will remain what it was meant to be: a reliable, long lasting, plinker capable of small-game accuracy and tin-can rolling fun. If you must have a superbly accurate 22lr and you're buying new, on a budget, the CZ 452/453/455's are the way to go. The 455 combo pack with the 22lr and 17HMR would be a great way to cover both ends of the rimfire spectrum.

I don't own a Ruger American Rifle but if Mule Deer say's they're good to go, they're good to go. grin I would buy one over a Hawkeye if I were in your position because you'll save about $300 that can be put toward scopes or other rifles.

I'd skip the Vanguard and the 25-06. Nothing against either (I've had three Vanguards in 257 WBY and have owned a few 25-06's) but if you've got a .308 already I don't see much use for a 25-06 in this "5 Rifle" context. There is very little that you can do with a 25-06 that you can't do with a .308: note the phrasing--there isn't much you can do, not what the cartridge can do that can't be done with the .308. Ballistic gack aside, if you can shoot, you won't be left wanting with a .308.

The 9.3x62 is really a step up from the .308 and is sufficiently distinct from that cartridge to merit owning one in addition to the .308. I've got a CZ 550 FS barreled action that I've put in a McMillan stock. Very fast handling setup; the CZ 550 Kevlar would be the closest off-the-rack equivalent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These threads crack me up.

My grandfather owned 3 guns when he passed away. An old Win semi auto .22, a model 12 20 gauge, and an old Win 94 long barreled half mag .32 win spec.

I'm getting up in years myself and have been fortunate enough to see a lot of different country and game....but he was probably the best outdoorsman/woodsman/hunter I ever knew. Literally fed his family with his guns, traps and rods.

How would we ever be able to survive this day and age with just 5 guns?

I am just as guilty as everybody else: I have a house full of guns I really don't "need"

wink grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 54 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,911
Posts18,498,251
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.