-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to Hi jack your post but I also am wondering the exact same question as Moses.
I have a Lipseys limited run Ruger 77 RSI stainless 7mm-08
that has been sitting in my Gun Case for a while now.
I got it for my Daughter to hunt with but she did not like it at all.I have been debating selling,trading it for awhile now but
IF I keep it what scope that I have now would be best?
VX III 1.5-5x20 Heavy Duplex that I bought here from the classisfieds
VX III 1.75-6x32 Heavy Duplex that I traded for here also.
I hunt near MT CHEAHA in Alabama,THICK SWAMPS,Thick pines,Hills and Hollows,with a lot of twigs ,limbs that can and will deflect shots fired.
I also suffer from Night Blindness that gets worse every year.
At 51 now I want to set up my rifles one last time and be done with it and just go hunt with what I have in the gun case.
A WBY ultra lt wt. 30-06 bought here from Wes7x57
The Little RSI 7mm-08 if I keep it.
WBY Custom shop stainless 270 wby mag with a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 #20 Ret.
Which scope should I put on the RSI,WBY LT WT,?
AMRA

Molan Labe
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Moses
Sitting in the woods. Last 30 minutes til black dark. 20 feet off the ground in a climber. Ruger 77 RSI .308. Last light brightness is the objective. Deer and big black hogs are the game. 70 yards is the furthest that can be seen in good light. What scope? Keep in mind the asthetics of the compact rifle.

Kahles CL 3-9x42

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-riflescope-rating-scale_topic8185.html

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few general comments:

Years ago I developed a night-time brightness test with a black-and-white chart illuminated with a 100-watt bulb at 25 yards. With scopes set on 6x to even out the effect of magnification, all modern scopes test between 6 and 8 on the chart. So far all the 8's have been scopes costing over $1000 with wire reticles.

If the reticle is mounted on glass (whether because it's illuminated or etched), very few scopes have tested over 7. These require a heavy reticle to make up for the slight reduction in brightness.

John-

Of the scopes you have tested that were 7 or 8 what ones had wire reticles? I see you say all but what brands?

Thanks

Rob

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
if I'm not mistaken, out of all the scopes JM has tested to date the Minox 3x9 Z3 is a 7+ on his scale.

not bad for $400......

I own one and it quite the scope for the $$ optically

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitting in the woods. Last 30 minutes til black dark. 20 feet off the ground in a climber. Ruger 77 RSI .308. Last light brightness is the objective. Deer and big black hogs are the game. 70 yards is the furthest that can be seen in good light. What scope? Keep in mind the asthetics of the compact rifle.

I just changed out a Zeiss 2.5-8X32 on a Ruger Hawkeye 308 short action. Change was mainly for function and aesthetics. I had the Zeiss mounted about as far forward as possible and still felt like I needed to push the gun forward when mounted, it's a long scope for a short action.. I changed to a Leupold VX2 2-7X33 LRD. Looks better, less weight, and I don't feel that I have given up anything in the switch. JMHO

Ed
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Get a Hensoldt 6-24x72. It'll look ridiculous, but you'll have the "brightest" scope in the forest. You'd need a Night-Vision scope to top it.

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah; how much is that puppy?

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have been using a Burris 2X-7X35mm German #4. Looks right; somewhat bright, eye relief could be better. For an inexpensive scope it is not bad.Would like more "Pop".

Last edited by Moses; 12/06/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Magnumdood,

Get a Hensoldt 6-24x72. It'll look ridiculous,

Didn't anyone ever tell you all those rifles with those funny looking little scopes are the ones which look ridiculous? I think we need a re-education program around here!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Get a Hensoldt 6-24x72. It'll look ridiculous, but you'll have the "brightest" scope in the forest. You'd need a Night-Vision scope to top it.

That is the truth. I have one on my TRG and there's nothing brighter in low light. The Nightforce 56mm objectives do very well also but the glass isn't as good. I do quite a bit of night hunting here. With any moonlight, you can see a snowshoe hare at 200 yards against the snow. Probably not appropriate for a light weight rifle at close range though.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
There are parameters. Giant scopes on compact rifles......
There are no great choices at more reasonable prices?

Already mentioned: FX-3 6x42 HD

and what will that give you relative to an FX2 6 x 36? A minute longer to shoot at most? At some point all day optics cash in their chips and go home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Moses....Exit pupil didn't seem to make any difference.

Perhaps that is why alot of people here question your findings Rich. Exit pupil and magnification (and there relationship to each other) are the most important factors in low light scope performance.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Finally! I found someone else who owns that Hubble! Welcome friend!

But...the image is unparalleled and it leads the pack in passive NV.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just a quick explanation of Mule Deer's comment that a higher magnification scope looks brighter (assuming an adequate exit pupil and comparable light transmission). Take a 2x scope with a 7 mm exit pupil, this means the light entering the scope is coming in through a 14 mm entrance. Now take an 8x scope with the same exit pupil. For this scope the light is entering through a 56 mm entrance. So comparing an 8x scope to a 2x scope with the same exit pupil, the entrance diameter is 4x bigger (56mm vs 14mm) and the entrance area is 4x4 = 16 times bigger. So there is 16x more light coming out of that 8x scope compared to the 2x scope. It looks brighter because there is a lot more light coming through the same exit pupil.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by Ringman
Moses....Exit pupil didn't seem to make any difference.

Perhaps that is why alot of people here question your findings Rich. Exit pupil and magnification (and there relationship to each other) are the most important factors in low light scope performance.

Hey Roy, I can put that scope on 10x and have a 7.2 exit pupil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps a lot of those people here do there comparing with there computer keypad and have not compared different optics side by side in fading light and learned empirically like I have with results I can post. Facts are not often accepted by theorists.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, that's not true. The percentage of light transmission is the same given two scopes of the same manufacturer and lense quality. The only difference there would be the amount of image magnification.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't speak for others Rich and I am only saying that if exit pupil makes no difference in your actual side by side testing, that will be confusing to folks who don't have vision issues like the ones you have claimed to have (your night vision issues that is).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't speak for others Rich and I am only saying that if exit pupil makes no difference in your actual side by side testing, that will be confusing to folks who don't have vision issues like the ones you have claimed to have (your night vision issues that is).

We have flogged this dead horse before. My son-in-law can see in the dark without a flashlight. He has participated in some of the side by side comparisons.

So what do we have? One guy who can see in the dark and one who can not and two guys who can see in the day perfectly who come to about the same conclusions.

Run some comparisons and let us know your results.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There is also the issue of image clarity, a direct result of the quality of the glass and coatings. I have taken my "Hubble" and another scope, a good one, but not an Alpha scope and compared them at dusk, and after, set for the same exit pupil. My Hubble just blew it away.

So it's not all about exit pupil; there is also the question of image clarity. I can look through a Night Force now and see with my own eyes that it is not equal in image clarity, being able to discern small details, that my Hensoldt can. So, exit pupil is one of three things to consider.

Along with image clarity you must also consider magnification. My Hubble set at 10x will be able to discern more detail than another Hensoldt also set for a 7mm exit pupil. This is a detail that E hammers home, and he's correct, as he got the information from John. If you can "get closer" by increasing magnification and still maintain a 7mm exit pupil, you will be able to make out more details of your target.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.