Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7054061 11/07/12
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm looking at getting a red dot sight to put on a bolt rifle and have been reading reviews and ads. Are there really so few Aimpoint dealers in the country as stated on their website, and why? They only show three dealers each in Washington and Oregon. Midway and Optics Planet carry them, but Cabela's doesn't show them, which I thought was odd.

I'm looking for opinions on the 9000L and the Hunter models because they look more like a regular scope than the stubby ones.

Anyone know anything about these?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Given the cost of an Aimpoint, I'd just as soon get a 1-4 scope with an illuminated dot reticle. Far more versatility.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Don't know anything about those models but I do have 2 Micro H-1's and, in my opinion, they're really a nice pieces of gear.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The VX-R outshines the 9000L in features. The Aimpoint has a longer battery runtime but the VX-R has an automatic motion on feature.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I could never see the point in the scope like aimpoints, I do have two of the other type, one is the Comp ML and the other a T-1. Never had a single problem, no loss of zero, no loss of power, no issues. Why don't you get a Trijicon accupoint, they have been around for a while, get good reviews, the VX-R is pretty new.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I appreciate the opinions and will keep looking at other options like Trijicon, as has been suggested. I'm new to these and the Aimpoints get great reviews. The VX-R sounds interesting because it has the option of magnification.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oktec60
Don't know anything about those models but I do have 2 Micro H-1's and, in my opinion, they're really a nice pieces of gear.

It seems to me that in addition to looking more like a regular riflescope, the longer Aimpoint models that use two bases and rings would be more secure than the shorter models that use only one ring...?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recommend a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint with a triangle in whatever color you prefer instead.

I have two Accupoints: one an Amber plex the other a Red triangle. The only thing I don't like about them is that they are 2.5-10 x 56's. I would prefer a smaller bell but they have their place on two Ar's: a 6.5 Grendel and a 223. If they had the same scope in a 42mm or so, I'd have them on others. You rarely see Accupoints for sale or else I could comment first hand on the 3-9 version's.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for that idea.
I'll be without a computer for about a week, so I'm not ignoring anyone who may post here.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I'm looking at getting a red dot sight to put on a bolt rifle and have been reading reviews and ads. Are there really so few Aimpoint dealers in the country as stated on their website, and why? They only show three dealers each in Washington and Oregon. Midway and Optics Planet carry them, but Cabela's doesn't show them, which I thought was odd.

I'm looking for opinions on the 9000L and the Hunter models because they look more like a regular scope than the stubby ones.

I had a Comp 9000L on a Mark X Mauser in 458 Win Mag and didn't like it, mainly because it was like looking through a toilet paper tube. The 2x magnified version of the Comp 9000L was more of the same. I've had better luck with small red dots mounted on the front receiver ring, as your view of the target isn't as obscured by the body of the scope as it is with the larger Comp 9000L. The optics in the Aimpoints were fantastic, but they didn't give you the wide field of view like a conventional, low powered scope. I went to a Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x scope and liked it much more.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I could never see the point in the scope like aimpoints, I do have two of the other type, one is the Comp ML and the other a T-1. Never had a single problem, no loss of zero, no loss of power, no issues. Why don't you get a Trijicon accupoint, they have been around for a while, get good reviews, the VX-R is pretty new.

I'm back, and I'm still looking at options. Now I'm leaning towards the Trijicon 1-4. How do they work for quick shots in brush and dark timber? As quick as a red dot sight? Do they have a smaller eyebox than a red dot, which would maybe cause you to have to search more for the target, or can you just swing and shoot with both eyes open, like a red dot?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had a few Trijicon 1.25-5x's and they are conventional scopes with illuminated reticles. The eyebox is very wide, equivalent to a 4x or 3x Leupold, to my eye. A red dot sight will be more forgiving with regard to head position because it lacks magnifying optics, but that is largely immaterial on a hunting rifle. If you don't have a good cheekweld on a hunting rifle, you'll likely have bigger problems than not seeing the reticle (like taking recoil right in the teeth) grin

As for "quick shots in brush and dark timber" it'd be hard to beat the Trijicon. The scopes I had had the standard red triangle reticle and it showed up very well against dark trees and dark fur on black bears.

I could easily keep both eyes open when shooting with the Trijicon. On a hunting rifle, I would take one over a standard red dot any day of the week.

BTW: you should be able to keep both eyes open with any scope. Why reduce your visual acuity by half?

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/07/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for that info. I hate to spend $700 to $1,000 on either a Trijicon 1-4x or a red dot (+ multiplier) and find out I should have gone the other way.

I appreciate your relaying firsthand experience to me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The comment about a wide FOV being larger on any scope with magnification over the Aimpoint is incorrect.

Aimpoints have no magnification so the FOV is as large as possible and only limited by the size of the 30mm tube.

There is nothing faster up close or in thick woods ect.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 12/09/12.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Aimpoints were designed for speed. I've got one on my Ruger AR. Before that it was on a M1 Socom. They are not for precision shooting. I had both weapons dialed in at 50 yards. For the AR that means I should get a 200 yard zero. If I ever have to use it for real, I expect ranges to be no further than my driveway

Over on Accurate Reloading there are some men who've put them on their double rifles, as their eyes can no longer focus irons. This has put them back in the game, as most PH's want the big five shot at less than 50 yards. Certainly elephant is a end of barrel affair. This is where the Aimpoint shines.

Nothing wrong with the other suggestions. Accupoint seems to be a real nice scope, certainly as good as or better than mid range Leupolds.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
The comment about a wide FOV being larger on any scope with magnification over the Aimpoint is incorrect.

Aimpoints have no magnification so the FOV is as large as possible and only limited by the size of the 30mm tube.

There is nothing faster up close or in thick woods ect.

You're right about the absence of optics in the Aimpoint making FOV an inapt comparison. What I was trying to get at is that, in my experience, the 30mm tube, particularly when the Aimpoint is mounted like a conventional scope, obscures more of your field of vision than a conventional low powered scope. If the Aimpoint is mounted forward (say, an Aimpoint Comp M3 mounted on the front receiver ring of a bolt action) this is mitigated somewhat. Having had an Aimpoint mounted on a conventional bolt action (see picture above), I prefer a low powered conventional scope. The other option would be a reflex sight like a Trijicon RMR that is small enough that the body of the sight alone doesn't block your field of vision.

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/09/12.
Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the Docter Optic, a small red dot. It is NOT like looking through a scope. It is best suited to moving game at fairly close distances. You shoot both eyes open and have great depth perception. They work exceptionally well under these situations, and are proven.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Would I be expecting too much from a 1-4x Trijicon if what I want is a red dot/both eyes open/quick sight, plus the option of magnification?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Would I be expecting too much from a 1-4x Trijicon if what I want is a red dot/both eyes open/quick sight, plus the option of magnification?

No, that's what the Trijicon 1-4x was designed to provide. Check out the rigs used by top 3-Gun competitors. Most of them are running true 1x to 5x or 6x (or more) riflescopes with illuminated reticles. That competition emphasizes both speed and accuracy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

SWFA out of Texas carries Aimpoint too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 57 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,497,991
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.