Originally Posted by 700LH
Get yurself a Bull Duram bag Bark, and boil yurself up some real coffee

Wouldn't that be considered a tea?

I reckon iff'n ya put tea in the bag you'd get tea

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That's the only style of coffee pot I ever remember seeing my mother use at home until I was well into my teen years when she finally got an electric percolator.

My wife collects old tin, pewter and aluminum ware of all kinds and I just now counted seven different size and shapes of the old stove top percolator style coffee pots she has sitting out on display right now. Knowing her she likely has a few more stashed around somewhere.

My maternal grandmother served three types of coffee for every meal. Her oldest son drank only perk coffee, grandma drank straight boiled "cowboy coffee" only. Her youngest son was allowed to drink only instant decaf after having part of his of stomach removed because of bleeding ulcers. She kept a third pot of plain boiling hot water on her old wood burning cook stove just for his instant coffee.

Last edited by joken2; 12/11/12.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
What kinda sprout needs percolator instructions?

,...as if I ain't feelin' old enough today.

By the way,...that's a Revere Ware Percolator.

One just like it was a part of the household goods during the majority of my youth. It's very good quality.

I started drinking coffee out of one just like it when I was about 4 years old,....half coffee,...half milk,...3 tablespoons of sugar.

I thought it may be Revere with the copper bottom.

Sounds like you started out like me almost 50 years ago, my Dad always asked if I wanted some coffee with my milk and sugar.

Dave

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by joken2
That's the only style of coffee pot I ever remember seeing my mother use at home until I was well into my teen years when she finally got an electric percolator.

My wife collects old tin, pewter and aluminum ware of all kinds and I just now counted seven different size and shapes of the old stove top percolator style coffee pots she has sitting out on display right now. Knowing her she likely has a few more stashed around somewhere.

My maternal grandmother served three types of coffee for every meal. Her oldest son drank only perk coffee, grandma drank straight boiled "cowboy coffee" only. Her youngest son was allowed to drink only instant decaf after having part of his of stomach removed because of bleeding ulcers. She kept a third pot of plain boiling hot water on her old wood burning cook stove just for his instant coffee.

Your gram sounds like both of mine! There always seemed to be coffee on the stove.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by Bristoe
What kinda sprout needs percolator instructions?

,...as if I ain't feelin' old enough today.

By the way,...that's a Revere Ware Percolator.

One just like it was a part of the household goods during the majority of my youth. It's very good quality.

I started drinking coffee out of one just like it when I was about 4 years old,....half coffee,...half milk,...3 tablespoons of sugar.

I thought it may be Revere with the copper bottom.

Sounds like you started out like me almost 50 years ago, my Dad always asked if I wanted some coffee with my milk and sugar.

It is a Revere Ware with a copper bottom, pre-1968.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by idnative1948
Originally Posted by joken2

Your gram sounds like both of mine! There always seemed to be coffee on the stove.

Yep, night or day, always some coffee and down to earth, common folk conversation at grandma's table.

Don't know if it was just a southern thing or not but I remember a lot of the old timers used to pour a little hot strong coffee in a saucer then sop it up with a biscuit. Come to think of it most of the old timers back in those days didn't have very many teeth left, either.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I found a percolator in my aunt's things, this style below. I'm not a coffee drinker but thought I might use it for company or camping trips, it brings back memories of camp trips when I was a kid.

I'm guessing you measure out the correct water, and then the proper amount of grinds go into the basket, then what?

Do you heat the water before inserting the basket, or just put it all on the stove cold?

I remember at some point you see the coffee percolating in the glass handle up top, how do you know when the coffee is done brewing? Can you use any type of grinds, or some especially for percolator pots?

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

I'm sorry, (truly, no flames meant here) but I had to laugh my azz off at this post.. It's apparent that you're young enough to not remember these wonderful old coffeepots that have been used literally for decades.. This style was all we had from the time I first remember it on the stove (circa '53) until we finally quit using them in the mid-'80s..

Measured coffee grounds go in basket, fill pot with cold water until just under the basket level, place on heat and boil (perk) for enough time (usually estimated) to give the user a brew dark enough to taste..

Some families even put timers on to make a more even perk..

I just found it amusing this am - considering the age of many of us here vs. those of a younger generation who were born late enough to not have the experience of a stove-brew pot of coffee.

In reverse, it's like us geezers tryin' to survive in a techno-world that the youngsters take for granted...

smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to live in Onieda NY... (Griffiss AFB)

Well Rome NY where the revere wear outlet was.

Wonder if it's still there

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the memories! Did not drink coffee when I was a kid but when it was done, it meant the biscuits, gravy, homemade jam, etc.. was ready too! This post really put a smile on my face thinking about it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep an old perculator around just for when the lights go out. All the fancy pants coffee makes don't work but my old perc will make coffee either on the gas stove or in the fireplace.

Then I can sit in the light of a kerosene lantern and drink coffee.

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 219DW, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 17,688 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,897
Posts18,538,647
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.