Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is an honest representation of how my 30-06 fwt shot before bedding it. This was also shot with my other pre 64 model 70's pet load. I've got too many damn rifles since I haven't had a chance to develop a specific load for this particular rifle blush. I think it has potential though and should shoot better now that it is bedded:

[Linked Image]

Don't ask why I shot 8 times. If I remember right it was the last 8 shots I had in the box and it was grouping well so I figured what the hell....

Here's how my 308 fwt shot on its last outing. I've since bedded it also (didn't want to screw up the collector value but what the hey!!!! Did it anyway). I'm sure it will shoot much better now. I was just messing around with the scenars since I've heard a lot of good about them. Not too impressive but nonetheless, group was shot before I bedded it. We'll see how she does next time:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I traded for my first pre 64 featherweight back in the summer and now own three (one 270 Win and two 30-06's), and I would agree that 1.5" accuracy is about average with mine too. I own a few upper end guns and tend to get hung up on "one hole" accuracy, but in truth, a gun that will do 1.5-2" at 100 yards is more than adequate for hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
About 5-6 years ago now, I had a pair of FW pre 64 30/06's that gave me fits,and would do no better than 1 3/4-2",and many of those groups were 3 shots.Both were factory original.

I pulled them both apart.checked inletting on the barrel channel,sealed them,and touched them up,and glass bedded them both.

More importantly, I checked my handloads for runnout and bought the Redding Competiton dies.Ammo got segragated into +- .005 runnout,and used the "good stuff" for group shooting.

The differences got dramatic in a hurry,and enough clustered three shot groups showed up that it was not unusual to have a ragged hole in the target.They also did better rapid fired at 300 yards;more consistent and stable.In addition to the handloads of 59 gr-H4350-165 Sierra,the Federal Fusion shot extremely well.

Pre 64's aren't exempt from the rules about barrels and bedding and the barrels are generally good.Some need some tuning,and straight ammo always helps.

So Bob, after your tweaked the rifle and the ammo, were you able to determine which one proved to make the difference?
With so many variables, what caused the rifle to shoot to your expectations?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bigwhoop I think it was the cumulative affect.What made me suspicious of the ammo was that both rifles were doing the same things....random flyers at 300 yards.

But I knew they both had factory bedding,which is generally adequate,but not the best.I knew that before I could draw conclusions about the ammo, the rifles had to be "right",so I bedded them and cleaned up the barrel channels.i have found that a lot of load tweaking we do in an affort to get rifles to shoot is really wasted effort....if the rifle is not "right",some loads may shoot but its' like building a house on a crooked foundation.pretty much a waste of time if the rifle is not tuned properly.

Meantime, I checked the ammo,started watching case runnout at every step of the loading process,new cases or fired cases...it was surprising how much I had been lousing up good brass with sloppy sizing techniques.

pre 64 M70 FW in 30/06 have pretty light tubes,but are good barrels.I knew they would shoot but can be fussy with some stuff,so stuck with 150's and 165's,segragated into .005 and under...the flyers disappeared.Much better.

Poorly assembled rifles will not shoot....crooked ammo will not shoot. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I traded for my first pre 64 featherweight back in the summer and now own three (one 270 Win and two 30-06's), and I would agree that 1.5" accuracy is about average with mine too. I own a few upper end guns and tend to get hung up on "one hole" accuracy, but in truth, a gun that will do 1.5-2" at 100 yards is more than adequate for hunting.

I won't have a problem getting my fwt's to shoot moa, now that they are bedded and after I work up a load for them....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Bob. I especially like your "heads up" on the runout issue. Something I should monitor more closely too.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
about 1-1/4 adv is what my unmolested 308 does.. my sons 30-06 about 1-1/2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 16 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.