Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I think the obvious solution is to trade the Casull for a 460 Smith and go 200 FTX's or 240 XTP's. More speed should fix the issues.....

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by j1r11
A lighter bullet is usually constructed "not as tough" as the heavier bullet, hence it will expand or open easier and more rapid the faster it is pushed.

How would a slower heavier bullet cause more damage? Penetration should be taken out of consideration with.45 cal's on deer sized animal. I fail to see how a WFN of .451 or 2 will do more damage that a HP that has expanded to .750 or so at the same distance/velocity.

FYI, if a lighter bullet is not constructed as tough, getting the top speed (and the attendant pressures of the 454) is not a good thing. For example, you could use the Speer 250 Gold Dot HP, but it would need to be loaded slower both speed and pressure wise than its thick jacketed 300gr. counterpart.

Some bullets are designed for the 454's top speed pressures, others are not; bullet weight does not matter, since the ass of the bullet gets the pressure and needs to keep its shape, else pressures go nuts.

I am talking about the head not the base.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In the revolvers and especially high pressure calibers Hawk is correct. 3 Year ago a friend shot a deer with a 7 Rem Mag and a NP bullet the bullet entered the left side of the neck and exited the right shoulder breaking it. The deer ran and was not recovered that day. the next day 3 of us went to look for the wounded deer. We found the deer still alive and Chuck finished him. The bullet miraculously hit nothing vital. Hard to believe but true. Shot placement looked good from the entrance and exit, but was not. Not much can be learn about bullet performance unless the wound channel can be observed IME

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I think the obvious solution is to trade the Casull for a 460 Smith and go 200 FTX's or 240 XTP's. More speed should fix the issues.....
+1. obviously, velocity is king. 45 colt bullets just bounce off game. You can only cleanly kill game with 3000+ fps projectiles. Its amazing that all the deer I shot with my old 30-30 would fall right there. The 300's I've used didnt kill them any better even though they had 1000+ fps more. I wonder how all you handgun hunters have been killing game with those crazy hadrcast loads. Must be pure luck!

Last edited by gunchamp; 12/15/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DAMN! I must have had a 45 year long lucky steak!
If I had not read thru this thread, Id never have known......
who knew all those hard cast 44 caliber 270-300 grain,slugs, that were only traveling about 1400fps were just freak accidents, that were supposed to bounce off, rather than punch a hole in one side and go whistling out the other leaving a big old hole, in a very dead deer or hog or elk!!
I guess Ive just been extremely lucky, I should buy a lotto ticket!

Last edited by 340mag; 12/15/12.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

gunchamp, 340mag, exactly +1.....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I am talking about the head not the base.

I'm talking about the whole bullet, because a bullet designed to go splat easier is designed to do so at a lower velocity.

Barnes XPB, Nosler Partition and Swift A-Frames are about the only exceptions, yet even some of them have an expansion windows.
I know the Partition isn't the best at the low end...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340mag
"...who knew all those hard cast 44 caliber 270-300 grain,slugs, that were only traveling about 1400fps were just freak accidents..."

Those 'are' pretty hot loads for a .44 magnum. Not disputing anything you said, but a 300 at 1400 is pretty stout.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The topic of hand gun projectiles is very much like the 45/70 for dangerous game topic.

There is an almost religious cult trance state for many people. In reading and participating in this thread now I cannot find any reference to condescending posts, no ridicule, no sarcasm nothing like its "my way or the highway "from a single person that is here simply sharing or asking.

Except for posts that are connected in some way to the hardcast bullets which are the answer to all the projectile problems of the world.

I find it a shame that on an open forum where conversations and civil opinions should be shared that so many visitors are put off by this. They don't get involved because they feel uncomfortable about the next guy ripping them with sarcasm and actually just plain rude disrespectful comments.

Lets face it the revolvers 44 mag and bigger will kill a white tail with anything that will fit thru the barrel. I promise you my 44 mag will kill a deer with a .429 piece of wood.

Think about how many of the people who enjoy this place are meant to feel with the condescending posts. I don't really give a rip what people shoot. I'm visiting to share what I have seen personally. Clearly others with various levels of experience have seen this the same, or even completely the opposite. There is no monopoly on what works. It's only a discussion on the options.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I agree with JWP and how rifles got into this I don't know. It was also about deer not elephants.
I have killed deer with everything legal and since going only to revolvers I can only say you can experience anything from lost deer to exploded meat. The revolver can be misused as often as a rifle. It is not magic and follows the same standards.
There is still a stigma over velocity only that does not fit. There is still book ME figures that mean nothing.
Listen to JWP. We have had disagreements, us two. Simple stuff like a primer but he knows about game.
Whitworth knows too. I back them because there is no bull.
You can listen to me too but after way more then about 400 to 420 deer kills (lost count ages ago.) I might not have enough experience. I shot six this season with revolvers of different calibers and can tell you exactly what each did.
I defer to those with one deer kill.

So you averaged killing 10 deer a year for the last 40 years in a row or 8 deer in a row for the last 50 years? If this is the case, then i wonder why you are also chasing bullet performance? I have one handgun kill, but many rifle/muzzleoader kills.

Not saying you don't know your stuff, but if you have a bullet that you know works, why are you trying all kinds of others?

You would rather have a 500 gr. WFP @ 800fps than a 250 gr. HP @ 1600?

You have lost more deer and had a worse bloodtrail with a HP than when using a WFN?

I did orchard control in Ohio with unlimited tags. Yes, I killed a lot of deer with everything that can be shot.
Yes, I would take the 800 fps WFN over the faster boolit.
The velocity issue with the WLN and WFN has been recent once I bought revolvers that shot them too fast. I found problems right away because I thought faster was better, my mistake.
When I moved where rifles can be used, I seen more lost deer in the woods and some use rifles way too powerful for deer. The 30-30 is ideal here. 7mm mags and .300 mags lose a lot of deer shot too close. Had a friend that only used the Nosler Ballistic Tip. Half the deer was scrap.
I killed tons of deer with .45 flntlocks, .50 and .54 muzzle loaders and they kill best as does the .44 mag at around 1300 to 1350 fps with a heavy boolit.
The .45 Colt is amazing. It has never failed me.
What you fail to see that it is not the velocity, it is the bullet/boolit choice and the distance you hunt at. With cast you change the alloy and with bullets you use the right one.
But you misquote me too. I never lost a deer shot with the hollow point or light XTP. I seen them go down without any blood trail. I would have lost them in thick brush. Bullets did not exit. I lost deer with a WFN too fast, never when slowed down.
It is 100% wrong to think a bullet that does not exit kills best.
The other side of the coin is to blow a deer to mush and lose all the meat. Just why would you do that?
Here is what a revolver can do.

Last edited by bfrshooter; 12/15/12.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Additional unrelated detail is also there, but some of the information may help you with the choices you are looking for.

Yeah, no sarcasm.

I tried to explain what I have had good results with; not that my answers are stone and the next guys is crap.

When greeted with the response of basically "WTF" by a fellow who has basically left several deer to rot, who is asking questions, pardon me if the "correct" answer is he needs more speed and the gun he obviously isn't shooting well kicks even more.

I don't start my posts with how many bears I've shot at close range, so I'm just a guesser.

I don't think the gent is having trouble with the bullets he's currently using, I think he needs to tone it down and shoot more....maybe now I can achieve sainthood.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I lost the photobucket picture again. This site keeps loading forever too. The circle is still spinning.
Nothing is working.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by 340mag
"...who knew all those hard cast 44 caliber 270-300 grain,slugs, that were only traveling about 1400fps were just freak accidents..."

Those 'are' pretty hot loads for a .44 magnum. Not disputing anything you said, but a 300 at 1400 is pretty stout.

I should have been a bit clearer in that post I use a 10" barrel revolver, so I get a bit better velocity, and 1400 fps is usually the 270 grain bullets but 1300fps is easy with the 300 grain, and if you seat the bullets uot to just short of the cylinder its possible in a 10" barrel 44 mag revolver with cast bullets, without a problem, I can,t remember ever having a slug not exit deer shot thru the chest from my 44 mag revolver, and only remember one huge hog that I shot in the chest that didn,t exit

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 340mag; 12/16/12.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don't think the gent is having trouble with the bullets he's currently using, I think he needs to tone it down and shoot more....maybe now I can achieve sainthood.

Spot on again.......

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have killed and continue to kill game very effectively and cleanly with hard cast bullets to the point that I prefer them over jacketed. The meplat and nose is critical to performance IMHO and E

C
cobrad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well, this has been interesting so far. There seem to be some who have had great success with the slow and heavy and lots of penetration school of thought, and others equally successful with the practice of fast and explosive, no need for two holes.
Funny part is, I have had success with both methods with a variety of firearms.
Sad part is, it becomes less an exchange of good information and experience, and more a head-butting contest.

My primary species is elk. Where I live they come into the yard in winter, and I can drive less than an hour from my house and be in elk country in the middle of the summer.
As JJHack said "I promise you my 44 mag will kill a deer with a .429 piece of wood." With dense wood and close archery type of range, I don't doubt he is correct.
I don't care about deer. I would feel comfortable shooting the does that are standing in my driveway right now, with my .45 acp. I am talking BIG game, and started this thread out of curiosity about relative recoil in other big guns.
I think we would all agree that ya gotta hit 'em first... and as the story of the 7 mag neck shot illustrates, we have to hit them where it counts.
So far the .44 mag with 325 gr hardcast bullets is the biggest handgun I have been able to shoot well. My single experience with a 500+ lb black bear seemed to confirm the type of performance I expected; massive, end-to-end penetration resulting in a long and deadly wound channel. It worked very well. I suspect had I been using the 454 with a 260 gr hollow point at high speed, the end result would have been the same for the bear. I'm just not sure if I will be able to shoot the 454 at those high speeds to produce those explosive results, as well as I can shoot a heavier, slower bullet. More shooting will be required to see.
I am currently shooting 30 gr. H110 with 260 gr. hardcast, and recoil seems to be getting close to what I recall it being with the .44 load I mentioned.
According to the manual, I'm still 6 gr. short of a max load!
As someone else said, the .44 seems to be about the ideal combination of enough power for anything I'm going to shoot, and manageable recoil. Starting loads for the Casull, with the 335 gr. hard cast, are identical to the max loads in the .44 mag with 325 gr hard cast. This is a load I have complete confidence in for elk.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
From what I've seen, the best improvement in killing power is hitting
Yep. grin

The discussion about bullet construction for deer hunting often is an exercise in trivia. With adequate ballistics and good shot placement, it's much harder not to kill a deer than it is to kill one.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Yep. grin

The discussion about bullet construction for deer hunting often is an exercise in trivia. With adequate ballistics and good shot placement, it's much harder not to kill a deer than it is to kill one.
+1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by RickyD
Yep. grin

+1

+2......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bought one of these in 460SW on sunday

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.