Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Quit calling AR-15's assault rifles because they are not. That's right out of the playbook of the Brady Bunch gun grabbers.

The AR in AR-15 refers to Armalite Rifle.

Even from Wiki..

An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons.[1] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44, AK-47,[2] M16 rifle, QBZ-95, INSAS, Heckler & Koch G36, and Enfield SA80.

Until someone goes on a rampage with a fully automatic or selective fire weapon quit calling them assault rifles. True assault rifles are already heavily regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

There's no difference between an AR-15 and any other semi automatic rifle. When you start letting the gun grabbers define them they are going to win every time. It's no different in how we get into the mess of a cut in spending isn't a cut but rather a reduction of growth.

Just a pet peeve of mine, but if we're going to argue let's all get on the same page.

[Linked Image]

Otto is my co-pilot.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the Connecticut Police Lt right now in a news statement, is calling the Bushmaster an 'assault weapon'

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What bushmaster was used?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Bushmaster AR15 assault rifle, according to Fox news

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NathanL
Quit calling AR-15's assault rifles because they are not. That's right out of the playbook of the Brady Bunch gun grabbers.

The AR in AR-15 refers to Armalite Rifle.

Even from Wiki..

An assault rifle is a select-fire (either fully automatic or burst capable) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine. It is not to be confused with assault weapons.[1] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Assault rifles are categorized in between light machine guns, which are intended more for sustained automatic fire in a light support role, and submachine guns, which fire a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle cartridge.

Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44, AK-47,[2] M16 rifle, QBZ-95, INSAS, Heckler & Koch G36, and Enfield SA80.

Until someone goes on a rampage with a fully automatic or selective fire weapon quit calling them assault rifles. True assault rifles are already heavily regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

There's no difference between an AR-15 and any other semi automatic rifle. When you start letting the gun grabbers define them they are going to win every time. It's no different in how we get into the mess of a cut in spending isn't a cut but rather a reduction of growth.

Just a pet peeve of mine, but if we're going to argue let's all get on the same page.

[Linked Image]

Semantics is what they is. Yes AR does stand for Armalite, but lets put a little history to the AR-15 as orinally developed.

The AR-15 was first built by ArmaLite as a selective fire rifle for the United States armed forces. Because of financial problems, ArmaLite sold the AR-15 design to Colt. The select-fire AR-15 entered the US military system as the M16 rifle. Colt then marketed the Colt AR-15 as a semi-automatic version of the M16 rifle for civilian sales in 1963.

So it is what it is, and ya aint never gonna get the antis to change. But then again it isnt exactly a wrong designation either.

Swifty

Swifty
IC B2

NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is entirely wrong, just because anit's do it doesn't mean gun owners should do it as well. The semi automatic and selective fire makes the entire difference.

Because of stuff like this when they go on an "assault weapon" ban they're going to wind up getting stuff like 10/22's and semi automatic shotguns in the ban as well because we let them define a semi automatic rifle as an assault weapon.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is my rabbit gun. It is not an assault weapon.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Assault rifle is not to be confused with an assault weapon. So what makes one a rifle and one a weapon?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have any assault weapons. Only life saving devices. laugh
[Linked Image]

Wouldn't make me mad to see one in every class room and teachers trained in the use of one.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pat85
I don't have any assault weapons. Only life saving devices. laugh
[Linked Image]

EBR! Those things shoot forty one 6mm bullets with a single trigger pull! /sarcasm

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
call them? what the fk are you talking about?
Call them?
who calls them anything?
what are they, dogs?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walmart calls them Modern Repeating Rifles. If wally world can take that stand so can I. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I call them "tactical carbines." Things like FN FALs and HK 91s I call "battle rifles." "Assault rifle" has a very specific definition, requiring among other things selective fire capability. The M-16 and M-4 are examples of assault rifles, not to mention the AK-47 (the real ones).

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I call them carbines. And the guns with barrels better than 22" I refer to as rifles.
But then again I still think theres revolvers and pistols.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I call them "tactical carbines." Things like FN FALs and HK 91s I call "battle rifles." "Assault rifle" has a very specific definition, requiring among other things selective fire capability. The M-16 and M-4 are examples of assault rifles, not to mention the AK-47 (the real ones).
I just have to say that I love the pic of the Israeli schoolteacher with the M-1 Carbine. She's pretty hawt too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I believe any weapon used to assault someone is an assault weapon, be it a rock, knife, ball bat etc.
Rifle specific? Same deal. Use that rifle to defend yourself against assault and now it is a defensive rifle.
The term "assault rifle" is nothing more than playing politics IMO. But lots of luck changing that. As far as the antis, every firearm is an assault weapon to them.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm an NRA life member, NRA rifle instructor, and 4-H rifle instructor....and I'm going to have to disagree with the OP and others here, but the AR15 IS and assault rifle. That's what it was designed to do - kill people. It was designed in the late 50's to become a battle rifle for our nation's military forces. If that doesn't make it an assault rifle, well, I think Mr. Stoner, the designer, would be quite disappointed.
Granted, we have taken the AR15 and adapted it to make an outstanding hunting and target rifle, but, as originally designed, it is an assault rifle.
Sorry folks, but that's just the way it is.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry, but no. The Germans were the first to produce this weapon and the ONE critical component missing from your definition (and civilian versions) is the select switch to full auto.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Sorry, but no. The Germans were the first to produce this weapon and the ONE critical component missing from your definition (and civilian versions) is the select switch to full auto.

===============

Precisely.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (907brass, 673, 1936M71, 450yukon, 2ndwind, 18 invisible), 15,336 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,898
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.