Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Temperture sensitivity, as explained to me by a tech at Western Powders, can vary. The variations are dependent on the load, cartrage,lot, etc. What might be very tempt stable in one cartrige ( load ) might not be the same as in another.
Just my understanding.
FWIW,
Jim

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
40 fps throws things off at distance....if you care to hit what you are shooting at.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thoughts here guys, nice to see the positive back and forths. A couple other thoughts, I used to run my loads at max with about every trick imaginable. For the most part now I run up to what appears to max and then back off 50-100 fps.

2ndly, all the powders I've worked with over the years can and do vary lot to lot as much as 100 fps. Another reason I'm not a fan of running a round to the nuts anymore. And trust me as I've said b4 I'm a past president of the red-liners club.

3rdly, how often do you guys or how many times (different trips and conditions) do you guys clock a load b4 you feel comfy that the speed you feel it's going that it's actually going? Point being, lots of times I've seen different readings from trip to trip to the range. My guess is it has something to do with lighting?

As to H4350, I've run it a ton since it came out in 1984 or 85 or whatever it is. No doubt it's one of my favs but it does move around a bit as temps change. Or at least that's what I've seen thru my tests. To date I've not found a powder that wouldn't. Some of them more and some less but to date all have. The one brand I've done hardly any work with and no personal work in terms of temp changes is the Ramshot Brand so I can't comment on that one.

It's all good and fun I guess.

Lifes short, hunt hard!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Only in the past year around the 'Fire did I learn that temp sensitivity is really something to worry about. I've also learned that chronographs can really screw up good loads. I stumbled through the past 41 years of hunting being naive, and it's kind of nice. smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
rcamuglia,

I would contact Hodgdon and tell them your H4350 experience. Your lot of powder might be defective.

I've talked to a few powder manufacturers, and while they won't tell any journalist everything (for obvious reasons in a very competitive business), but they have admitted that lot-to-lot uniformity of any powder is difficult, mostly due to differences in atmospheric moisture.

My last test with H4350 was with a 7x57 and 140-grain bullets. I run my cold-change tests by chronographing on different days, one as close to 70 as possible and the other as close to zero as possible. The rifle and ammo are at the same temperature as the air (for the cold tests I leave them in an unheated garage overnight), and the same chronograph is used. I also run point-of-impact tests at the same time. At 70 degrees the load chronographed 2842 fps, at zero 2834, which is as little (or even less) variation than usually occurs between shot strings on the same day.

That test just confirmed a LOT of chronographing of H4350 loads I've done in varying conditions over the years. I certainly wouldn't expect the difference you encountered, which is why I suggest contacting Hodgdon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Well, time for some input here that contradicts what has been posted.

I shoot both rifles and shotguns competitively. From very recent experience (Sunday), I can say for certainty that H-4350 is not temperature insensitive as is claimed.

I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor with 41.3 grains of H-4350. I've been using the same lot of powder since the warmer Summer months. Just last week I checked long range data by shooting. The data had not changed. Temperature was 57 degrees and was entered into Ballistic AE along with the other atmospheric data.

On Sunday we had our little local Precision Match. It was very cold all day with the temperature from 36 degrees to 41 degrees at the end of the match. When targets were engaged at 760 yards, impacts were .2 Mils low. I thought my zero was off, not the drop data, so I added .2 mils to my zero.

Had many chances to check the 100 yard zero as we shoot paper during the match. Well, it was now .2 mils too high. I moved it back to the original zero. As long range targets were engaged, everything was low. I can only attribute the change in drop data to the cold temperatures decreasing velocity.

Ballistic AE has a "temperature sensitivity" parameter in the rifle profile reloading set up page where a number can be input as a decrease/increase in velocity per degree of temperature change. I had never used this part of the program. I entered "3" as in 3 fps change per degree of temperature and the output matched my actual for Sunday's shoot at the colder temperature. The temperature at the time of load development was 55 degrees giving a velocity of 2785 fps. After the conditions on Sunday were input with the Sensitivity feature enabled, the program output that the velocity was now 2743 fps and gave proper data for drop.

With H-4350's reputation as very insensitive to temperature, I was very surprised to see this. I also now believe that ALL powders have to be sensitive to temperature changes.

At 760 yards I'd bet the difference in air density has more effect on POI than temp sensitivity of H4350.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
His ballistics program compensates for air density.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rcamuglia,

I would contact Hodgdon and tell them your H4350 experience. Your lot of powder might be defective.

I've talked to a few powder manufacturers, and while they won't tell any journalist everything (for obvious reasons in a very competitive business), but they have admitted that lot-to-lot uniformity of any powder is difficult, mostly due to differences in atmospheric moisture.

My last test with H4350 was with a 7x57 and 140-grain bullets. I run my cold-change tests by chronographing on different days, one as close to 70 as possible and the other as close to zero as possible. The rifle and ammo are at the same temperature as the air (for the cold tests I leave them in an unheated garage overnight), and the same chronograph is used. I also run point-of-impact tests at the same time. At 70 degrees the load chronographed 2842 fps, at zero 2834, which is as little (or even less) variation than usually occurs between shot strings on the same day.

That test just confirmed a LOT of chronographing of H4350 loads I've done in varying conditions over the years. I certainly wouldn't expect the difference you encountered, which is why I suggest contacting Hodgdon.

Another great reason to buy powder by the 8# keg...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...and it did.

It showed a small increase in drop at 760 yards. 5.1 mils to 5.2 mils with the change in atmosphere.

When I saw impacts at 760 still low I added .2 mils to my zero and I was then high by .2 mils at 100. .2 mils is a lot! Nothing has changed with my load. I shot a group after the match that was 5 shots in 3/8"

The only thing possible to affect drop like it did was temperature which is a big factor in all chemical reactions including combustion

I'll do some actual chrono work to try to find out what's going on.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GF1

What if the 8# keg is defective? Then you're stuck with 7.9# of defective powder...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll be real interested to hear your results.

If they're consistent with the drop, I'd definitely contact Hodgdon. In my experience they're great people who are concerned about their products.

The chemical and physical compensation in powders for colder temperatures has been explored on the Campfire in the past couple of years. Let's just say that it DOES work, but as I noted in my earlier post, powders do vary from lot to lot. Dober mentioned the bad batch of RL-22 that got out about a decade ago. It was actually closer to Rl-19 in burning rate--and it was recalled. I've also seen considerable variations when a commercial powder was formulated to replace a mil-surp powder--and not just with the old H4831.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4

I'll keep everyone posted, but not till this weekend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How could the lot to lot variation - moisture related - be eliminated?

Could they dry each lot in a big, mild, oven, removing all the moisture?

If that is too big an exercise, could we reloaders dry our powder somehow to ensure lot consistency?

Don't get me wrong. I am not close enough to the margin to need to do this, just wondering if it could be an answer. Always thinking of dumb ideas...

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by GF1

What if the 8# keg is defective? Then you're stuck with 7.9# of defective powder...

I'd sure take that chance for the known value of a big consistent lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The lot I have started with me as two 8#'ers. All that is left is about 2 pounds of the 16#.

Just bought another 16#s

I didn't notice any temperature sensitivity till now, but most of the powder was burned in temperatures much warmer than what we are having now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was checking the weather report for this week.

It looks like I'll be able to really get some good data about the temperature sensitivity of H-4350 if I chrono today and tomorrow....

[Linked Image]

LOL!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
....I'd back off a grain on Friday....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should be a good day for getting good speeds... wink

Dober

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
dober I wouldn't post results....some one will squawk the loads were over SAAMI spec... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,611
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.