Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very good video.. And he's right on the mark..

Re: Laughtenberg, - geez what a dumbazz- and a typical Dem..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I missed their statement. Apparently it did go over well with all gun owners? A few I've seen were PO'd about it? Just read the transcript and can't see what there was to take issue with?

Stush
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NRA lifetime member!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
After LaPierre's speech one only has to ask......WTF?

Our answer to violence in our society if to place armed police in every school? Really?

Lets drill down a little deeper on this line of thought. How many schools do we have in this country? How many extra cops will this take? In an era of reduction in every public sector LaPierre is advocating for a huge expansion in the size and role of government. We cannot afford to keep teachers, lay offs are very common in most parts of the country now but we can afford a huge expansion in police? Really? Where will these additional funds come from? How about the gun lobby funding the entire thing? I think that might work nicely! Right!

With this type of thinking we also need to consider placing an armed police officer in every theater, day care center and church as well don't you think?

I do not disagree with his comments on where the blame belongs. Yes, we have encouraged a violent culture with glorifying death and distraction in movies and video games but to curb this type of thing would demand that the government extend their reach into our lives even more with regulations and really isn't this the parents job? This type of over reach would also have a chilling effect on the free market and capitalism would it not.

I am disappointed with LaPierre;s response. Is the best the NRA can come up with?

Walt
Gun owner, hunter, advocate for the 2nd amendment
ex-NRA member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by northwestalaska

Our answer to violence in our society if to place armed police in every school? Really?

Lets drill down a little deeper on this line of thought. How many schools do we have in this country? How many extra cops will this take? In an era of reduction in every public sector LaPierre is advocating for a huge expansion in the size and role of government. We cannot afford to keep teachers, lay offs are very common in most parts of the country now but we can afford a huge expansion in police? Really? Where will these additional funds come from? How about the gun lobby funding the entire thing? I think that might work nicely! Right!

With this type of thinking we also need to consider placing an armed police officer in every theater, day care center and church as well don't you think?
I do not disagree with his comments on where the blame belongs. Yes, we have encouraged a violent culture with glorifying death and distraction in movies and video games but to curb this type of thing would demand that the government extend their reach into our lives even more with regulations and really isn't this the parents job? This type of over reach would also have a chilling effect on the free market and capitalism would it not.

I am disappointed with LaPierre;s response. Is the best the NRA can come up with?

Walt
Gun owner, hunter, advocate for the 2nd amendment
ex-NRA member
I think they nailed it on the head! This country wastes more money on stupid garbage that means nothing. We could apply the wasted money to keeping kids safe by hiring these guards for schools not to mention let the teachers that have a CCW permit carry at school.

Most theaters around here have an officer at them. Our church has many armed men in it every service free of charge.

Times have changed since we were kids the world is a different place. Do you have a better idea of how to stop or end the killings then the NRA's plan? More gun laws WILL NOT WORK!!!!! Put the ones we have to use hang the murderers instead of giving them free room and board for life at the tax payers cost.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I didn't bother reading your post further, because that's not what he said. If you can't get what he said, you can't give a cogent response.

He said the NRA would help put armed guards in every school where the community wants them.

He said, "Ladies and gentlemen, there is no national, one-size-fits-all solution to protecting our children."
And he said, "Every school will have a different solution based on its own unique situation."
Then he said, "The NRA is going to bring all of its knowledge, dedication and resources to develop a model National School Shield Emergency Response Program for every school that wants it.
And went on to list some of the things it could include, "From armed security to building design and access control to information technology to student and teacher training, this multi-faceted program will be developed by the very best experts in their fields."

If you don't listen to or if you misrepresent what he said, you should not be in the discussion.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Out of curiosity, what do you suggest he should have said?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bwaahahahha 100% This is for the win.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Stush
I missed their statement. Apparently it did go over well with all gun owners? A few I've seen were PO'd about it? Just read the transcript and can't see what there was to take issue with?
I'm sure that some are like me and know that a cop in every school isn't realistic nor affordable. It also smacks of 1984 or some re-education type thing. The last thing we need is Homoland Security in the schools. That said, the people who are mad are unrealistically not able to separate just a small, shall we say "procedural" error on the part of the NRA from the outright buttfukking that some of "our" Senators and Congressman who were supposedly pro-gun, have given us over the past week or so. The NRA is 100% pro gun on this. They are just misguided as to the solution, but it's not a gun thing now. At the end of the day, even if this were the solution, it wouldn't matter one whit on the topic of guns.

The conversation now needs to turn to stuff like repeal of the Gun Free School Zones Act.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Anyone who doesn't listen to or misrepresents what the other side says should not be in the discussion.

Or...anyone who has an opinion other than the one I share should not be in the discussion.

To have a good discussion/debate there needs to be different points of view. When we make the decision to allow for a different point of view in to the debate the debate now becomes an echo chamber and that is where you are going .

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Maybe if teachers weren't paid 12 months for 8 months worth of work, or didn't retire at 80% of their last wage with a 3% increase every year, they could afford armed guards at schools.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey walt I would also assume the pres don't need no security by your logic.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Outpost75WV
The story of the last forty years in America is the mainstreaming of "rock-star morality," and the wreckage of traditional marriage. In the US over 40% of children are illegitimate. Entire new categories of crime have arisen in the wake of familial collapse, like the legions of daughters abused by their mom's latest live-in boyfriend. What will happen to all the children raised in these dysfunctional and fragmented families if the economy really collapses? Hollywood portrays the sane as the insane, the abnormal and perverted as normal. Is it any wonder America is in trouble?

Our economy was destroyed by white collar criminals of immoral character. They are but are a symptom of America's spiritual illness most commonly referred to in previous centuries as "sin". The connection most fail to see is that where there is no God there is chaos.

All so true! Welcome to the 'Fire!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone who doesn't listen to or misrepresents what the other side says should not be in the discussion.

Or...anyone who has an opinion other than the one I share should not be in the discussion.

To have a good discussion/debate there needs to be different points of view. When we make the decision to allow for a different point of view in to the debate the debate now becomes an echo chamber and that is where you are going .

Get serious. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to misrepresent what someone else says.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Maybe if teachers weren't paid 12 months for 8 months worth of work, or didn't retire at 80% of their last wage with a 3% increase every year, they could afford armed guards at schools.

Maybe if you'd educate yourself about the facts you'd have a more rational response.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good start would be taking funds from the Dept of Education and states reducing their grossly overpaid and bloated state education departments. I've seen it in five states and here in Washington DC. Lots spent on feel good programs and diversity and not nearly enough on real education and safety needs. Spending on needs and priorities instead of bureaucrats would help solve many issues with security being a large one.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I actually happen to agree with blaming the violent games and movies for dissolving the border between acceptable and not in the minds of young people. Computer games are just like an addictive drug, and same as drugs, it is a billion dollar industry. This industry would much rather have every single gun banned as long as they can keep selling bloodthirsty games to teenagers.

Absolutely true, IMHO. Thanks for posting the link to your blog, it was well-written and very sensible.

I've read the blog too, and it is exactly what my son and I have discussed several times. I come from the perspective of the experience of seven decades of living; he as a business professional, and field grade infantry officer and combat vet, and father of three girls. Different men, different stages of life, same conclusion. We've raised probably a couple of generations of fragile, self-absorbed people, unable to cope with the normal vicissitudes of life. Small problems become major crises, the OMG, Oprah generation, "get counseling" for every little problem. At best they do not transition well to adulthood, at worst they go off the deep end to suicide and murder.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

As far as the blaming of video games, etc., he is spot on. We are living in a degraded culture that has made those who degrade it some of the wealthiest people in the world. And they're wealthy enough to protect their own children from their filth, where the average citizen isn't.

I agree completely.

...another here who agrees 100%

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

As far as the blaming of video games, etc., he is spot on. We are living in a degraded culture that has made those who degrade it some of the wealthiest people in the world. And they're wealthy enough to protect their own children from their filth, where the average citizen isn't.

I agree completely.

guess i dont get the whole violent video game argument.....im in the younger "video game" generation given i graduated high school in 2000.....in the middle of winter when it was plain to [bleep] cold or windy to be out shooting coyotes or spotlighting jack rabbits we sat in front of the TV killing each other on violent video games.....yet there isnt a single problem with any of our views of reality and the ability to separate real life from a TV or computer screen....

video games are no more the problem than guns are....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I agree completely.

I also agree. Maybe mom and dad need to step in on this one.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 11,467 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,345
Posts18,546,522
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.