Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
And I do shave hare with mine too.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to carry a good steel but never really needed it. A hint from professional meat cutters: steel early and steel often. Had an uncle at Morrell's that made a few bucks on the side by regrinding the edge on knives for people every so often when the steel didn't work, like after a week or so of shifts depending on usage. Meat cutters keep a couple ready so when one won't respond to the steel they use another while waiting for the edge to be ground.

Sharp is as sharp does. Not really a smartass answer, if it's sharp enough to get the job done to your satisfaction what more do you want?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

[Linked Image]

laugh That's funny!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm old and still learn toward the classic highest density Arkansas oil stones. For an expediency edge, I'll use a quartz element from the large stadium sized lights. That leaves a ragged edge though that needs some final dressing to bring it back to shaving sharp.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/23/12.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by eh76
years ago I could put a razor edge on with a set of good Arkansas stones but I have lost my touch. i would like to find a good strop.

I use the Red Green method. A piece of leather belt on a paint stick loaded with mothers mag polish works great.

In a pinch the backside of a legal pad will polish up an edge.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by srp
Whats the best knife sharpener? Also whats the best test for how sharp a knife is? I fully expect smart a$$ answers but would also appreciate serious ones too. Thanks

well, a good knife, sharpened in advance should not need work at camp. smile

That said, I would take my EdgePro.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I test a blade edge the way my Grandpa did; I place it against my thumbnail as if I was gonna cut it. A dull blade will slide right along it. A sharper blade will catch and dig in.

A really sharp edge will dig in with just the weight of the blade forcing it into the nail, and it will do it the entire WORKING part of the blade.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by northern_dave

[Linked Image]

TFF

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any kind of fine stone and some honing oil. When you're done with it just put it in your day pack.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/23/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Of course the quality of the blade factors greatly and the type of material. . . .
You should have no problems going through a couple of deer with a good blade.

I drank the S30V koolaid a few years back. Glad I did!!! Knife will stay sharp for two deer easy.

I sharpen with the Frost Cutlery Blademaster - 19 deg "angle-of-the-dangle".

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best. I have a commercial 2" by 70" Burr King grinder in the garage I make knives with and I can put an edge on a knife that will scare you. If you use a slack belt you can put what is called a Moran Edge on your blades which kind of resembles a watermelon seed or apple seed. Most consider it to be the best slicing edge there is, but you're going to have to have a slack belt grinder to sharpen it. You can maintain it for a pretty long time with a strop, but eventually, you're going to have to sharpen it. I also have a tormak water wheel I use to put a 20 degree secondary bevel edge on knives. I finish that on a Lansky fine stone in their apparatus.

I have bought a number of Lansky kits for gifts. They're cheap and they work. Easy to use... What's not to like. As for testing. The true test of a knives edge is to push it through a hemp rope until it stops cutting. They don't slice the rope. They just push it down through it... Over and over until it stops cutting. That's how the American Bladesmith's Society does it. I find that I need to go back to the stones and get an edge scary. Really scary, before I push it through a hemp rope. My blacksmith friend and I have little contests from time to time with knives we make and sharpen up.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's your advice regarding using a steel? I mean insofar as processing game (at deer camp, the original question). I'll admit to being prejudiced in favor of using a steel often rather than resorting to a stone, having come from a family of meat cutters.

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by srp
Whats the best knife sharpener? Also whats the best test for how sharp a knife is? I fully expect smart a$$ answers but would also appreciate serious ones too. Thanks

well, a good knife, sharpened in advance should not need work at camp. smile

That said, I would take my EdgePro.

x2, I've had one for a few years.

Use good steel, set a 23 to 27 degree angle, go forth and skin critters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assuming the deer camp does not have electricity to run power equipment, and possible limited space, hand held sharpening systems are about all that could be used.

With the very hard steel found in many of today's knives, both handmade and store bought, I think one of the Diamond Hones would be the most useful. I have one that has a course side and a fine side.

Also, a very fine Silicon Carbide Whetstone is helpful, as are a set of ceramic sticks.

I think a better description for sharpening a knife at a deer camp would be 'restoring the edge' instead of sharpening.

Make sure the knife is very sharp before leaving home. Then, after dressing out a deer (or a few deer, depending on what the blade is made from), and the knife begins to dull. Restore the edge immediately--do not let the blade get extremely dull before sharpening.

Touch it up on the diamond hone, then use the whetstone or ceramic sticks. If the steel is very hard, in the Rockwell C61-62
range, you probably will not be able to get it shaving sharp.

The diamond hone will leave the edge sort of rough and toothy. This blade will cut very well, although it will not shave.

The diamond hone might leave a small burr on the edge. This burr will make the blade feel sharp, but it really isn't. What you are feeling is the burr, and it will be gone after the first small cut. The whetstone and/or ceramic sticks are for removing this burr, and whetting the edge under the burr.

At this point, by honing, either on a leather strap or the fine grit stones, you could restore it to a shaving edge, if you want to take the time to do it, but for field dressing and skinning, you don't really need it shaving sharp.

That is sort of the way butchers do it in a meat market. They cut a little, then use the steel a little. This keeps the blade sharp at all times.

srp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone. I learned a lot. Merry Christmas, and may your blades be always sharp.

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good point, as the first time I set into a knife I am actually setting up the edge angle it will have, or repairing one. After that it is kind of touch up unless you let it go too long.

Last edited by Westcoaster; 12/24/12. Reason: sp
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I use both an Arkansas stone and crock sticks. I have had one set of my crocks sticks for more than 20 years. I tend to use the Arkansas stone more for the kitchen knives. I test the edge on my hunting knives by shaving hair off of my arm lol. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a two sided arkansas Stone for sharpening hunting knives, eh76 has seen me do it. For those that have never sharpened knives I was suggesting the galco sharpener.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
all good info thanks

norm

Les Christmas spiders for ya whistle

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keeping it sharp has been mention, best advice there is.

Once dull, if it gets dull, or to very quickly touch up an edge. Not much better stones then an India stone.

[Linked Image]

With Arkansas Stones having there place as well.

Use a lot of water, spit or oil and stay consistent. Clean the stone regularly finish with a strup (the grain-side of your leather bell, cardboard or even a stack of newspaper) going the other way (not like your shaving) and your good to go.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,856
Posts18,497,064
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.