Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Penguin

Adam Lanza, Seung-Hui Cho, James Eagan Holmes, and Steven Kazmierczak (and heaven knows who else) were ALL on the radar of psychiatrists BEFORE they went on their rampages. We're acting like it is some kind of a unicorn hunt to find out who these guys are.

Will

So? Probably along with a million other mofos as well. ANYONE who works in the health care field will readily tell you that a LARGE percentage of the population is batschit crazy. They show up in hospital for medical reasons, usually caused by poor decision making. We gonna lock 'em all up?

The USSR used "mental illness" as prelude to keep the cells of the Gulag packed. Remember, Sholzenitzen was "crazy" according to who you asked in the USSR.

I'll take my chances with crazy mofos having guns, thank you.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a crazy mofo with a high capacity magazine in my FN Five Seven semi automatic pistol doing something besides shooting innocent people. Who would have known this was possible???!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A simple but accurate description of the mental problems most of these shooters have is :

They think one way when they are "sick", and another way when they are "well".

To separate them from guns, you have to lock the "well" guy up, along with the "sick" one.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

There is no one here who could not be diagnosed as "mentally ill" by a sufficiently motivated Government shrink.

...so tell me again Mr. Spanokopitas why it is you do not believe in Global Warming? I see... just wait right here and I'll let you know if we can approve your application to possess firearms.

Of course the answer comes back NO, because it is common knowledge that global warming is a fact and anyone who denies it is obviously mentally disturbed and should not be allowed to possess firearms.

Far fetched? Maybe.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or, the action that cements their "sick" status is exactly that which we'd like to prevent.

Probably not a lot of traction to be had here, frankly. I like secure storage better.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
There is no one here who could not be diagnosed as "mentally ill" by a sufficiently motivated Government shrink.

Wouldn't have to be a government shrink. Any one with a bias against gun ownership would do.

When I was in the field years ago, psychoanalytic theory was still in vogue, particularly in some professional schools. (English lit teachers love it too, all the sex 'n stuff) The question wasn't is the patient sick, but what are the dynamics? The whole penis inadequacy thing, which libs love and have picked up on, was applied to guns.

Most of the few shrinks I still have any association with are gun guys, but I wouldn't bet that is typical.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Give the Government an easy way to keep "mentally disturbed" people from owning guns without running afoul of the 2A and it is all over.

Then guns will only be in Government approved hands. Now that's a pretty picture, ain't it?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The mental health evaluators will certaining all be leftist...who live government...and will be suspicious of anyone who is non-governmental.
Submitting to a evaluation is surrender.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How bad an infringement do you guys consider a mandatory secure storage requirement to be?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I could live with it but I don't see how it would be enforceable.

That's pretty much present California law and has been for many years. Like I said you have to sign an affidavit when buying a gun stating you have a safe and the make and model of that safe.

How bad an infringement do you consider a 10 round limit? 15 round limit?

www.paracay.com

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I could live with it but I don't see how it would be enforceable.

That's pretty much present California law and has been for many years. Like I said you have to sign an affidavit when buying a gun stating you have a safe and the make and model of that safe.

How bad an infringement do you consider a 10 round limit? 15 round limit?

Let me reiterate that I'm not advocating for ANY restrictions of any kind. I'm just rolling with the theme of Penguin's thread--- explore ways to defuse the politics of the moment without getting something ugly rammed up our asses.

What I prefer about secure storage is that it would likely gave prevented this latest tragedy. Magazine restrictions would not. Especially since as we all know there's already so many mags out there.

I've got a 30-rounder stuffed with "extra-deadly ammo" ready to rock in my AR 24/7. Locked in a GOOD safe, however. Just seems like common sense to me.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Of course a safe is common sense much like wearing a helmet when riding your bike. It just makes sense to protect valuable assets from fire and theft. Would you leave 20-30 thousand in cash laying around unprotected.

I don't particularly like the Government telling me I must buy a safe or wear a helmet but I'm not going to get in a swivet about it.

For the record I am not advocating any restrictions but there will be some. Let us try to make them as innocuous as possible.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
How about offering social solutions for preventing another mass killing of little tykes, instead of shouting "from my cold dead hands" all the time?

Some of what you say is ok, but this is complete and total bullshit. Do you think the people that want to take away your firearms are interested in hearing one word from you? I doesn't matter if you advocate turning schools into bunkers and you find the cure for mental illness. They want only to impose their will on you. And those people in "the middle", I think someone must tell them to breath every once in a while to keep them from dying.

You are right, gun owners are getting ready to lose. However, none of the pleading, groveling and begging you and Penguin describe will not make one damned bit of difference other than demeaning yourselves. They have the numbers and we are going to get the bad end. This won't be reversed until we have the numbers. Based on what I see of the American people, I'm not sure we will ever reverse that trend.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 12/20/12.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
496 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BudsGunShop.com ...out of stock

classicfirearms.com ...out of stock

and the out of stock keeps on going

AN OATH IS NOT SOMETHING YOU GIVE BACK UNLESS YOUR A POLITICIAN!

RACISM ALWAYS EQUALS FEAR!

THE WANTS OF THE FEW SHOULD NOT OUTWEIGH THE RIGHT OF THE MANY!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=EthanEdwards]As I stated before, in my mind real men roll up their sleeves and get to work when there is work to do. They engage with the world as it actually is, not as they wish it were. They tackle tough issues and tough problems with a cool head and conviction.

The people that want to impose their will on us could not care less about what you or any of us have to say. I'll save the begging and my self respect.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
How bad an infringement do you guys consider a mandatory secure storage requirement to be?

I'm happy to see that you are seeking creative solutions to the imminent problem that you opened the door for by helping to put Obama in office in the first place. It's the least you could do.....

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C

I get really tired of guns being blamed for crime. Guns are inanimate objects which cannot do ANYTHING on their own. A gun doesn't know how many bullets it has in it, whether or not a clip is attached, whether it has a plastic stock that looks evil or a beautiful wood stock; it has no idea where it is being pointed or what the intent of its use is. Guns are used to take life by criminals; guns are used to save life in self defense of criminals; guns are used in war; guns are used for pleasurable recreational activities. The end use of a gun is not dependent upon the gun; the end use is determined by and dependent upon the intent of the person that picks it up.

The 2nd amendment, as well as all the other amendments, was written by our founders to limit the power of government, not limit the rights of the people. The 2nd was written so that the people would always have the ability to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. It has nothing to do with hunting. The intentions are clear to anyone who takes the time to read the Constitution and/or the Federalist Papers. And for those of you who might respond with "oh c'mon you paranoid nut, those were old times. That can't happen today", Hitler came after that, as did many other tyrants and dictators.

To those who have said we can't just stick our head in the sand and sit by and do nothing, that is exactly what we are doing now! Our society has become one which relies more and more on 'government' to save, protect, serve, pay for us. We are a soft society, and have become a bunch of sissies. The government CANNOT protect us from day to day crime activities, but we expect them to. Something bad happens and we all get on our iPhones and dial 911, FB our friends, Twitter this and that, but were scared to death of the very things that we can protect ourselves with...firearms. Maybe we can just throw our phones at the scumbags, or maybe there is an "app" for iPhone personal security.

We don't have a gun problem in this country, we have a CRIME PROBLEM, much of it related to drugs. And now we even have a couple states that just legalized marijuana. Do whatever, marry whatever, everything goes, and don't offend anyone who's deranged by picking them out and either getting them help and/or putting them away where they cannot hurt themselves or anyone else. Nope...just take away rights..."We have to do SOMETHING! Even if it just saves one life!" Get real. Will the NEXT gun law be the one the CRIMINALS start obeying, or will it be the one after that? Which one of the rights and liberties we give up will be the one that finally convinces the scumbags to play by the rules?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
We are going through this in Canada."Secure storage" is decided upon by the Federal Bureaucrats and will entail mandatory inspections,with violators subject to criminal penalties and or confiscation.Just remember they will be making the rules....but you can trust them,right? At least YOU do,right Jeff?Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would bet the farm that you didn't understand my post.

We're running interference for a lot of mentally ill people who neither know or care about the 2nd Amendment. That was the group I was talking about.

Whether you or anyone else can or can not buy a 30 round clip will have absolutely no impact on how many guys the next crazed gunman shoots nor your ability to exercise you 2nd Amendment rights. It is a red herring. Useless political rhetoric that will accomplish nothing whatsoever in the end.

But whether we find a way to get the next borderline psych job locked up before he murders a bunch of innocents? Don't you thing that would actually do something to help?

Adam Lanza, Seung-Hui Cho, James Eagan Holmes, and Steven Kazmierczak (and heaven knows who else) were ALL on the radar of psychiatrists BEFORE they went on their rampages. We're acting like it is some kind of a unicorn hunt to find out who these guys are.

Will

You might be right, I certainly could have misunderstood your point.

My takeaway is that you think we might face losing our rights because of the emotional reaction to the shooting. That the 2nd won't be enough to stop them this time. But I think it will, and i will continue to argue it should, for what's its worth.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Penguin's a [bleep] disgrace. Once you go down the road of "finding solutions" it means that you accept partial responsibility for these and every other murder across the country.

Penguin is actually a very thoughtful and intelligent person. And you need to simmer down a little and understand that he is NOT presenting you with a false choice.

And since you're a little too steamed to understand what that means without a little explanation: we do not have to choose between fighting to protect our second amendment rights on the one hand, and protecting ourselves from the predatory behavior of the really, dangerously mentally ill people who wander among us on the other.

We can do both things, and I agree with Penguin that it's a mistake for anyone to put their entire focus on the one thing.
KMA.

Ethan wake up and smell the coffee controls are coming there is no doubt about it AR15 type wepons will be history!!!! and many more.
Take a look at results of this news paper Poll out today all tthe NRA members can go and vote but it won't change results.

Poll

What do you think of the NRA?

25%
Seems like a good group of people
88 votes

66%
Seems kind of crazy
234 votes

8%
I have no idea
29 votes

Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,658
Posts18,493,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.