Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Looking at large gun safes that hold around 45 guns. Electronic or combination lock? Who has researched/purchased one recently and has a recommendation for best quality and price. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fort Knox...period

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was just doing a little research on gun safes myself. The consensus at ar15.com on the best safe seemed to revolve around the Sturdy Safe.

Sturdy Safe

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by eh76
Fort Knox...period

X2 Period

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's hard to beat Fort Knox but they're spendy. I ended up buying an American Security (AMSEC) BF 6030. It's a great brand with a great warranty, at a price point that will not blow your socks off. They have versions for 58+ guns.

Eric

http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/BF_Series_Gun_Safes/

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by walt501
I was just doing a little research on gun safes myself. The consensus at ar15.com on the best safe seemed to revolve around the Sturdy Safe.

Sturdy Safe

I do wonder though how quick someone can get into a safe with a cheap plasma cutter. Seems like you could open up the side of one pretty quick. I'm sure some guns would be ruined or really messed up, but I doubt the crooks would care.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pricey but very nice safes.Pendleton.
http://www.pendletonsafes.com/safes/#Gun-Safes-Category

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EricM
It's hard to beat Fort Knox but they're spendy. I ended up buying an American Security (AMSEC) BF 6030. It's a great brand with a great warranty, at a price point that will not blow your socks off. They have versions for 58+ guns.

Eric

http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/BF_Series_Gun_Safes/

yep, I have one of those as well. The door is 1/2" plate, and the bolts are massive. I am well pleased with mine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A skilled thief can get into the sides, top or bottom of any gun safe quickly.
IMO, more important than brand is installation.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The big thing is Steel not 10 gauge sheet metal. Yah you could use a plasma cutter but when you get into a house with an alarm you're going to be really rushed because the alarm has already gone off. Figure you need to setup get into the safe and gone in probably around five minutes or your chances of getting caught are going up exponentially every minute. There's another house down the block you can hit that doesn't have an alarm. Unless you have something of known value that's a lot higher than the ordinary gun collection they aren't going to risk it. Make sure the alarm system has a very loud nerve racking alarm horn 100 DB's is a real plus.

Another thing set it up so the safe can't be easily tipped over on its back because it helps them gain a lot of leverage to work on the box.
They may still get it turned over but the extra two minutes you could gain on them will likely be their downfall.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/26/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sportsman Steel, 1/4 inch thick top, sides and bottom. Door is callective 1 to 1.25 inches thick. My safe weighed 1350 pounds empty.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by night_owl
A skilled thief can get into the sides, top or bottom of any gun safe quickly.
IMO, more important than brand is installation.

yep. get one thats got a good fire rating and bolt it back and bottom to the floor and walls. frame all around it and cover framing with wonderboard covered with double layer of drywall and put an exterior grade steel door in front of it like a big closet. lastly, put a game camera on it in a inconspicuous spot to film anyone trying to get into it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Research the Liberty safes online I felt like they had the best bang for the buck.

There is a war on America and America is losing
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks for the suggestions. Will help me in narrowing my choices. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by walt501

Sturdy Safe

Absolutely spot on. And they have MUCH thicker steel than the name brand safes that can be opened with a skillsaw like a can opener. I've done my research and Sturdy's are the best.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by arky65
Research the Liberty safes online I felt like they had the best bang for the buck.

+1, I've got two, and when I was looking around, I too felt they were a great value for the money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PSH
Originally Posted by arky65

+1, I've got two, and when I was looking around, I too felt they were a great value for the money.

thin sides...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone have recommendations for a small, lightweight, rifle/shotgun safe? It needs to be lightweight as it will be in a closet (bolted to floor and wall), not a heavily supported area. Prefer an electronic lock for quick access. Will only hold 3 long guns....fire protection is not a concern, mainly quick access for us, and the ability to keep someone from just grabbing and going with anything it contains...when gone for anytime, they firearms can be moved to the big safe.

Suggestions?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
safes that bolt to wall or floor,(by drilling holes in such)...are not fireproof for any amount of time......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.