-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in a similar position to you. I used to shoot alot when there were few neighbors around, but now I choose to be a little quieter.
<br>
<br>I try not to invite the boys over for a big shooting match anymore! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Anyway, sometimes I'll shoot right out of the house, as long as my girlfriend isn't around. I also shoot out of my insulated shed/workshop. A pretty bare bones shed will keep the noise down- it sounds more like someone is banging a hammer from the outside.
<br>
<br>A couple of cautions though- shootign near windows can shatter them with a good muzzle blast, and it's a good idea to control other peoples acess around the shed while you are shooting. You can't really see what is about to walk into your shooting lane if there is a wall there.
<br>
<br>

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Muley, my dads got my 6PPC due to his shoulder can't take much recoil. So now I,m up to building another one on a small Ruger I happen to have aquired today it is a 22-250. My expirence with this round has had it's moments. At first it would shoot 1 1/2 in groups at 100 yards. I had a lose scope mount. Tightened it up and shot .5 shot group with seven shots. Things have only gotten better. Load development is a lot more difficult than my 222 or 223 but it is well worth the effort ilove not just shooting real tight groups but when done shooting taking the tatget down by shooting the thumb tacks and dropping the target to the ground. Sort of impresses the guys at the range.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bullwnkl, impresses me! The cartridge certainly has my attention now. Thanks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you opt the 6PPC,I have 100pcs of virgin brass and a set of Forster Competition Dies,I'll give you....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Stick! It'll likely be a bit before i can start another project. I'm going to try and meet up with Flinch next month and spend some time behind his .25-284. You guys are a baaaaaadd influence (grin)!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just tryin' to grease the skids and ease the pain(grin)............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MS - The TCU cartridges were introduced by Thompson Center, for their Contender. Based on the .223 case, they're necked up and blown out. Think of them as AI versions of the following wildcats - 6mm/.223, .257/.223, 6.5mm/.223 and 7mm/.223. The 7mm TCU was, and may very well still be a popular handgun silhouette round, but is also quite effective for that sport when chambered in a rifle.
<br>
<br>I'd think that a rifle in .257 TCU would be the cats meow for a small deer, varmint, squirrel, practice,fairly quiet rig. Easy to load for, enough oomph for deer within 200 yards. John Wootters had a cartridge that he really loved, called a .25 Copperhead. It was a necked up .222. The TCU would be just a bit more of a good thing at the top end, but it could still be downloaded quite easily. Wootters use this as a turkey getter and small game rifle so the ability to produce light loads was important to him.
<br>
<br>I think Big Stick needs to start building one for his littlest fishing partner right now. She'll love it when she starts hunting with him. Oh, and Pac Nor has a reamer for it...
<br>
<br>As for a suppressor, you'd need to find class III dealer in your state. If my memory hasn't failed me, you're in CO. Check out these guys:
<br>
<br>
<br>http://www.grizzlyfirearms.com/LegallyOwnClassIII.html
<br>
<br>If you are in a different state, well a search on Yahoo for "Colorado machine gun dealer" led me to the link above. I have also been to forums dedicated solely to Class III, and there was quite a bit of discussion on who was/wasn't a reputable dealer. again, if memory serves, there's a forum on AR15.com dedicated to Class III.
<br>
<br>I'm heading out on with my fiance on her vacation tomorrow, so I can't dig through all my old Rifle and Handloader magazines (they're in storage) for the article on the baffle box until I get back.
<br>
<br>Regards,
<br>Scott

Muley Stalker,
<br>Another consideration is the 6mm BR (Bench Rest). Excellent article on it in Jan/Feb issue of "RifleShooter" on page 46. Pretty close to the 6mmPPC in ballistics. Only problem with this caliber and the 6mmPPC is that you will have to go the "custom rifle" route which can get expensive. I don't know of any large manufacturer who chambers for these 2 calibers.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A quiet cartridge you want to shoot alot and up to an occational 400 yard varmint poke ? Gotta be a .223 or improved with 24 inch or longer barrel . Get a fast twist , if you feel you need a little more whump for that quarter mile doggie , you can use one of the heavier match bullets .
<br>
<br>The flattest possible trajectory won't be critical , on your home place you will pretty much know the range and can hold over accordingly ..........
<br>
<br>Sides , you NEED something that's perfect for those endangered Colorado prairie dogs , don't ya ?
<br>
<br>

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 06/28/02.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add a muzzel brake. This increases the noise near you and decreases the noise down range.
<br>

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've thought a 7mm BR with a 24-26" barrel would be great for accuracy, moderate noise, and downrange power.
<br>
<br>I was studying the ballistics of this round in the Sierra manual a while back. It hits harder at 300 yards than a 30-30 at 100 yards.
<br>
<br>MM

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the great ideas guys! I have some excellent ideas to ponder. I'll check out both the BR's mentioned before I decide. Also, I'll look into setting up a bench such that I can shoot out of my garage. Might need some noise dampening inside the garage to save MY ears (steel)!
<br>
<br>ConradCA, that's a good idea, but I have vowed to NEVER have a brake on one of my rifles. Just hate the things.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use brakes on my vehicles only, don't need them anywhere else.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Woody, cost is relative when you are building a rifle, barrels cost the same if you spec a 7mm or a 6mm in the same barrel, as does stocks etc. Figgure a good rifle will run you $700-$1000 less optics. of course it can be done for less or a lot more depending on what you choose to work with. A Sako action will cost you a bunch more than a Ruger. A Rem XB40 more than a Sako,
<br>Check out CZ they might even list a 6MM PPC I know Sako did.
<br>The only problem with the 6MM BR is you have to form all your own brass from 7MM BR. or spend a whole lot of time and money making your own from 308 family brass.
<br>PPC is avalible ready to go either reformed from 7.62x39 or 220 Russian or brand new Norma.
<br>
<br>Stick if Muley don't take you up on your PPC stuff lets talk trade.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If your not afraid of used stuff check this out.
<br>
<br>http://benchrest.com/shooterscorner/the_list.html
<br>
<br>Lots of 6mmPPCs and others.
<br>
<br>

Rick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winkle,
<br>
<br>Should Muley not be interested in that chambering,it would be my pleasure to give you that stuff. I enjoy your keen wit and that's money well spent.................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You have got to consider a 250 savage. Maybe it is not as efficient as a 243 but you get points for style and originality. Also it is a cartridge with a nice little history behind it. A nice little bolt gun with a 24 inch tube would make the little 250 come alive with 87 grainers. Deer and coyote poison!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry I'm late here, but...
<br>
<br>Muley, you're killing me. "Honey, the .338 ultra I just got is too loud, I NEED another rifle." I'll have to remember that line.
<br>
<br>Stick: "...falling on deaf ears..." pun intended?
<br>
<br>Regarding noise, I have a .223 with less than 100 rounds through her. Definately not as loud as the .270, but I would not say quiet. Both have 22 inchers. But since deer are on the menu, I guess you can't get any smaller. Danged ATF folks -- a good suppressor is what you need!
<br>
<br>Perhaps the gas operated action rifles are quieter than the bolt guns? If so, you have a myriad of nasty black little options.
<br>
<br>You guys crack me up.
<br>
<br>Jeff

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm hoping I may have solved the Ultra issue. I built a shooting bench in my garage about 12 feet back from a 16" square opening. I'm hoping with the garage door down, it'll tame the noise considerably (from the outside!). Kicking around shooting through a foam tube too. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Hopefully, today...
<br>
<br>I appreciate all the ideas!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wear a hat and old clothes as all the dust is going to go into orbit.
<br>
<br>Also start with a small caliber to test the idea.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 17,142 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,888
Posts18,538,442
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.