Print Thread
Hop To
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pretty simple question if you start with a decent quality scope say a Leupold os there any practical disadvantage to a 20mm obj for a hunting rifle?
Thanks Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Depends on if you like high magnification scopes or hunting late. Some guys pack it in as soon the sun hits the treetops in the evening, that's not me. Some guys are OK with low magnification, I want at least 10x on the high end and a 20mm objective won't work well with that.

Plus, 20mm objective scopes are ugly, they look goofy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
IMHO glass quality is much more important than glass size. A 20mm Leupold will do a lot better in low light than a 50mm POS scope will. I've used a bunch of Leupold 1.5-5x scopes and sat till way beyond shooting times and they always allowed me to shoot in low light.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The only thing they lack is ability to produce a 5mm exit pupil at any magnification above 4X.
On the other hand, they are alot better at holding zero than a comparable scope with a larger than 40mm objective.
So unless you are a night hunter, or somebody that needs to shoot beyond 150-200 yds. during twilight on a dark day, they have no drawbacks and some significant advantages. E

B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am pretty sure reelman and I are on the same page I just want to be sure I am thinking right

In WI pro football is not just a game
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Given the same level of design and manufacturing quality, a 20mm objective will have no disadvantage as long as the exit pupil (objective diameter in mm divided by power) is 7mm, witch is the maximum of the human eye. As the power increases, so must the objective diameter. However as we age, our eyes looses the ability to dilate to 7mm, so an exit pupil of 4mm to 5mm may be adequate for many people, even in low light.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by boatboy
Pretty simple question if you start with a decent quality scope say a Leupold os there any practical disadvantage to a 20mm obj for a hunting rifle?
Thanks Hank

No.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Depends on if you like high magnification scopes or hunting late. Some guys pack it in as soon the sun hits the treetops in the evening, that's not me. Some guys are OK with low magnification, I want at least 10x on the high end and a 20mm objective won't work well with that.

Plus, 20mm objective scopes are ugly, they look goofy.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nothing looks better on a Marlin or Savage levergun than a straight tube scope in my opinion.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I agree with you TnBigBore. I a 1.5-5x20 on a Winchester 88 and it just looks right on there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt coyotes so have no restrictions on starting and quitting time. If there was enough light for me to see a coyote coming to the call there is plenty of light to kill him with a 1x4x20mm scope.

V[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 12/22/12.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by deflave
Thanks Hank

No.

Travis

+1. My 13 year old son had no issues with the 1.5-5X on his 7x57.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You won't mistake it for a starlight scope. A 1-4x should go on 3-gun rifles and defensive carbines that have lights on them. My next scope will be a Burris 1.5x6 XTR with a 40mm objective

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For most of my hunting career I've used a Leupy 1.5. x 5 x 20 on a .270 bolt gun. There aren't enough words to extol the virtues of that glass for a hunter. It just killed and killed and ...

I gave the rifle to my son. But not the scope!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
For most of my hunting career I've used a Leupy 1.5. x 5 x 20 on a .270 bolt gun. There aren't enough words to extol the virtues of that glass for a hunter. It just killed and killed and ...

Exactamundo!

And it aint at all bad in low light, as long as you dont need a pile of magnification...I used one extensively.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I gave the rifle to my son. But not the scope!

I can feel the love from here. grin

Did the apple fall far from the tree? Did he buy a scope of correct proportions?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This'll kinda give you a clue what I think of 20mm objectives...the big game guns...

[Linked Image]

.30-06
7x57
.22-250

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Hank

My opinion, any practical limitations of a 20mm objective would be a result of your personal preference for magnification. My personal preference is for low power magnification when using such a scope. For medium and big game, I rarely use more than 2.5-3x out to several hundred yards. A 20mm objective provides an ample exit pupil for my satisfaction at low power. But, if you are someone who prefers higher powers, especially if you are someone who prefers higher power settings in low light, you may find a shortage of exit pupil at those higher magnifications compared to having a larger objective.

So for me, I don't feel shorted when hunting big game with a 20mm obj. For you or someone else, I cannot say.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like the 20mm objective scopes and have five. They are a heck of a lot easier to mount to get the proper eye relief, given that there's no objective bell.

Dan

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Blue, for the time being the scope is still on the rifle. But when the rifle leaves my house, scope stays!

I used to compare my 6 x 42 Leupy with the 1.5 x 5 in low light all the time. The 20mm was no liability to my eyes. Every scope I've ever had did better in low light than my nekkid eyes, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned. Most places I hunt have shooting time restrictions anyway. If you want night vision, it can be bought.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.