Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do you shoot your DA revolvers DA or SA??? If you have mastered DA shooting you may want to go with a Glock or a DAO (Double Action Only) semi like a Kahr or some of the SIGs. SIGs will have hammers but the Kahrs don't.....but the Kahrs are very concealable...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My suggestion is that you go to a store near you and handle some semis and don't buy one... Then find out what you like and ask around to see what is available from friends or a big shop to shoot...

But regardless...whatever your choice you will end up switching guns within two years...99% do... Because when you buy the first one you find out you didn't know what you didn't know....

Great advice, eloquently stated.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It's hard to find that perfect carry gun. This weekend I traded my Kimber Ultra Carry II at our local gun show because it was simply to large to conceal. Weight wise it wasn't to bad empty at 25ozs. But add 7-45 acp's and it would pull your pants down. I'm not a fan of the double action only pistols, but the Kahr 9mm felt pretty good in my pocket. My favorite lil compact in the Colt Mustang/ Pony's in .380.

Good luck.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Springfield XDs .45 for CC but thats me smile

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM

But regardless...whatever your choice you will end up switching guns within two years...99% do... Because when you buy the first one you find out you didn't know what you didn't know....

Agreed. And I comment only to say that it isn't a big deal. Buying a CCW is NOT a momentous decision that needs to have any long-term expectations associated with it--like buying a house; getting married; or moving out-of-state for a new job. If you buy used and then want to switch guns, you likely won't lose any money on the first gun if you sell it. Even if you do lose $50 on it after 2 years, who cares?! It's like you rented it for 24 months at $2 per month. I'd do that today with a lot of guns!

So, do your research and then make the best decision you can with the information you have--it's all you can do. As time goes on, you'll get more information (especially that which comes from your own experiences) and you'll likely want to get a different gun. No big deal. Get a different gun.

Good luck with your decision!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RJM

Maybe, but that would be because the 99% are dullards who won't take advice from the "1%" who told 'em to buy a damn Glock 19 and a Crossbreed. Those folks don't change guns except for carrying a Khar PM9 in a pocket holster when their required acoutrements don't allow IWB carry.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by RJM

Maybe, but that would be because the 99% are dullards who won't take advice from the "1%" who told 'em to buy a damn Glock 19 and a Crossbreed. Those folks don't change guns except for carrying a Khar PM9 in a pocket holster when their required acoutrements don't allow IWB carry.

Would have to disagree... One of my girlfriends before we started going out came to a PPITH Class with a Glock 19...matter of fact she had two of them. One of the local officers who knew nothing but Glocks told her that this was THE GUN.

A) The grip was too big

B) Shooting for any length of time actually made her hands bleed...

She switched to a Kimber Commander size .45 and her speed and accuracy was much better...

Woman I worked with was a big Glock Fan...she even went to Glock Armorers School. The gun didn't really fit her hands either....it was a 19. After working with her she went from barely qualifying to low 90s... A few years later when she had become a Chief Probation/Parole officer in another county she called me and asked if I had ever heard of a Kahr... Yes...and it will fit your hand a lot better.. Few weeks later she called...she had just qualified with it and shot her highest score ever...first time out.

One of the guys in my tactical shooting group started out with a Glock 19...went to a Taurus 1911 and is now one of the top shots in the group... On the other hand one of the other guys who was a mediocre shot with his SIG P229 switched to Glock 19 and shoots 100% better.

19 is a GREAT gun...but it isn't optimal for everyone....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
one that has not been said on here that is a great compromise of size, thickness but yet still shootable is a sig 239 , classic cig controls big enought to hang on to and shootable in .40s&w but way noticably thinner than a glock or sig 226-229 220

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by RJM

Would have to disagree... One of my girlfriends before we started going out came to a PPITH Class with a Glock 19...matter of fact she had two of them. One of the local officers who knew nothing but Glocks told her that this was THE GUN.

A) The grip was too big

B) Shooting for any length of time actually made her hands bleed...

She switched to a Kimber Commander size .45 and her speed and accuracy was much better...

Woman I worked with was a big Glock Fan...she even went to Glock Armorers School. The gun didn't really fit her hands either....it was a 19. After working with her she went from barely qualifying to low 90s... A few years later when she had become a Chief Probation/Parole officer in another county she called me and asked if I had ever heard of a Kahr... Yes...and it will fit your hand a lot better.. Few weeks later she called...she had just qualified with it and shot her highest score ever...first time out.

A) could potentially be true for women with really tiny hands, but I question whether she ever recieved proper instruction as to HOW to grip a Glock (or any other handgun), I see it all to often. The OPTIMAL grip will place the radius directly in line with the slide and allow a 90 degree placement of the index finger on the trigger.

Having said that, I saw a little 110lb Marine learn to run a 92F last year, her hands were so small it was almost comical, she outshot the majority of her male counterparts in the class.

B) Bleeding hands? Boo-[bleep] whoo. Buy a barbell and get a life.

The Khar is a great gun, but hitting is easier with a Glock, and trading 15rd for seven or eight is a HUGE decision.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 12/31/12. Reason: added info
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lot of good things can be said about Glocks, but having been issued Sigs since the switch to pistols and K and L frames prior, Glocks have enough differences in gripframe ergonomics that they feel odd in comparison. Like being right handed and using left handed scissors.

That said, my vote goes for a plain jane snub nosed J-frame as being an ideal tool for compact/concealed carry. Inside the pants, outside the pants, or even stuck in a pocket like a wallet, a J-frame is K.I.S.S. taken to an art form.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pistol gack is fun to discuss but when it comes down to it, here are the questions I asked.

9mm, .40 or .45 - put'em on a dartboard and throw a dart at it. Pick the one it hits. Fire a box of any of the latest hollow point ammo to be sure it feeds and ejects properly then get another box to load the magazine with.

For the pistol - When you are surprised, suddenly very scared, as in not just "Surprise!" birthday party startled, but when the most primitive part of your brain registers "omigod i'm really about to die in the next second" and your entire life flashes before your eyes*:

1. Which pistol can you draw and fire that will put the very first round right where your hugely wide open eyes are intently looking?**

2. Which pistol will you have with you all the time, not just when it's easiest or most convenient to carry it?

3. Which pistol can you manipulate, make ready to fire and get into action right now when your motor skills deteriorate to the point where you have ten thumbs and the very atmosphere feels like molasses?

Notice the emphasis on you. What other people can use is nice and may or may not be helpful, but you wouldn't buy your pants or marry your wife based on what fits someone else's needs.

When you find a pistol that successfully answers the above, get that one. Don't worry about the brand or model, within reason - lots of reputable manufacturers make very reliable handguns these days. However, if two or more pistols answer all three questions, get the one that holds the most ammo. If it's a tie or no one pistol answers all three, let #1 be the tie breaker.

Just my free opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

*Your entire life won't but you'd be amazed at how much of it will flash before your eyes.

**Practice with it so hopefully you see the front sight on or near center of mass before pulling the trigger and not put a round in the guy's hand where his weapon is and where you'll most likely actually be looking.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CZ 75 Compact. 9mm. Buy it, shoot it a lot, and carry it constantly.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe all the people suggesting a glock 19 for a CCW. IMO its a holster gun. I own one myself its a great gun, but its too much gun for CCW, if you have 1 grand to spend perhaps 2 guns would be a good idea. maybe a 380 for summer carry and maybe a slightly larger gun for winter/more clothes carry. I personally carry a glock 26, advantages is I can shoot it as well as a full size gun it carries 10 rounds and is a very reliable gun. even this gun is quite a bit to carry and a gun that I don't know if the beginer CCW holder would be a good idea. I have a unique way to carry mine which did take some getting used to, but I carry it 95% of the time. unless you can carry your gun 95% of the time I don't see the point. suggesting a glock 19 will prevent most people from 95% carry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Pistol gack is fun to discuss but when it comes down to it, here are the questions I asked.

9mm, .40 or .45 - put'em on a dartboard and throw a dart at it. Pick the one it hits. Fire a box of any of the latest hollow point ammo to be sure it feeds and ejects properly then get another box to load the magazine with.

For the pistol - When you are surprised, suddenly very scared, as in not just "Surprise!" birthday party startled, but when the most primitive part of your brain registers "omigod i'm really about to die in the next second" and your entire life flashes before your eyes*:

1. Which pistol can you draw and fire that will put the very first round right where your hugely wide open eyes are intently looking?**

2. Which pistol will you have with you all the time, not just when it's easiest or most convenient to carry it?

3. Which pistol can you manipulate, make ready to fire and get into action right now when your motor skills deteriorate to the point where you have ten thumbs and the very atmosphere feels like molasses?

Notice the emphasis on you. What other people can use is nice and may or may not be helpful, but you wouldn't buy your pants or marry your wife based on what fits someone else's needs.

When you find a pistol that successfully answers the above, get that one. Don't worry about the brand or model, within reason - lots of reputable manufacturers make very reliable handguns these days. However, if two or more pistols answer all three questions, get the one that holds the most ammo. If it's a tie or no one pistol answers all three, let #1 be the tie breaker.

Just my free opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

*Your entire life won't but you'd be amazed at how much of it will flash before your eyes.

**Practice with it so hopefully you see the front sight on or near center of mass before pulling the trigger and not put a round in the guy's hand where his weapon is and where you'll most likely actually be looking.

Good post. Great post, actually.

The only time I ever had to go for my gun is when my daughter and I were taking a dog for a walk. We were dogsitting for some friends and were out for the last potty trip of the night. As we walked along, a pit bull came out from the side of a house, head down, and was making a bee line for my daughter and the dog. I stepped between them and started yelling at the pit bull to "stop right there" and "you go home! Now! Go home!" The pit switched its attention to me and walked up to about 3 feet away. We were having a little stand-off when I noticed my 1911 was in my hand, pointed at the pit's head. I was a little freaked because I thought it was going to attack, and a little freaked that I drew my gun so unconsciously. (...and if you care, the dog stared at me for about 5 seconds and then left. I never posted about it before, because I didn't want to start another "pit bull debate.")

But, I was very glad to know that when most of my brain was preoccupied with the "oh crap" moment, some part of it was able to take charge and give commands to the rest of my body. I still don't know how accurately I'll shoot under such conditions--hopefully I don't ever have to find out.

Last edited by Waders; 12/31/12. Reason: I can't spell

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I can't believe all the people suggesting a glock 19 for a CCW. IMO its a holster gun. I own one myself its a great gun, but its too much gun for CCW, if you have 1 grand to spend perhaps 2 guns would be a good idea. maybe a 380 for summer carry and maybe a slightly larger gun for winter/more clothes carry. I personally carry a glock 26, advantages is I can shoot it as well as a full size gun it carries 10 rounds and is a very reliable gun. even this gun is quite a bit to carry and a gun that I don't know if the beginer CCW holder would be a good idea. I have a unique way to carry mine which did take some getting used to, but I carry it 95% of the time. unless you can carry your gun 95% of the time I don't see the point. suggesting a glock 19 will prevent most people from 95% carry.

This I simply do not understand. Had you suggested a thinner pistol like a Khar, that would make sense, but suggesting a shorter "brick", as many like to refer to Glocks, IE a 26 in lieu of a 19 is, IMO, totally illogical. If you are big enough to pocket carry a Glock 26, you are probably big enough to:

A) Not need a gun for self-defense in the first place

B) A mini- UZI would be easy for you to conceal in a "holster" or a Desert Eagle

I'm 5'8"/170#, I can hide a Glock 19 in a Crossbreed very well. If you are a midget you might need a smaller gun, then it should be something THINNER THAN A GLOCK, ANY GLOCK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really, lots of good choices well within your budget.

Also, no one can really tell you what is best for you, we can only point you in the direction of what are several good reliable & carry-able weapons.

As many have mentioned, you should definitely shoot several if you have a chance & then make your decision on what feels best; feel & comfort are the 1st steps to success & being happy with your choice, & it's a very personal one as well.

I tend to like bigger guns as shoot-ability is my prime consideration; I can wear clothing & holsters than will work with any reasonable semi-auto.

As such, I lean to 1911's, Beretta 92's & Glock 19/23 sized guns; calibers are 45, 40 & 9mm.

But I also make use of a Glock 26/27 & a J-frame S&W revolver frequently as well & those are as small as I am willing to go.

I'd also highly recommend that you look at the S&W M&P Series, the Kahr TP series, the various Sigs, & CZ Compacts; they will tend to fit smaller hands a little better than some other makes.

As for caliber, IMO, get the most powerful that you are truly comfortable & capable with..........some people are just not good enough with a 45 or a 40 to legitimately carry them & the 9mm with good ammo is plenty formidable.

Do not neglect the holster...........buy the best you can afford as it will make carrying whatever you buy a more pleasant experience & you will likely carry it more. Not carrying it because it's cumbersome means it's just a nice paperweight. Again, holsters are highly personal & subjective, & unfortunately, it's harder to try them before you buy. I like as thin as possible & with forward cant, so my #1 preference is Brommeland.

Good Luck & let us know how it turns out.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't believe all the people suggesting a glock 19 for a CCW. IMO its a holster gun. I own one myself its a great gun, but its too much gun for CCW,

Sorry, but I can't agree with that in the least..........in fact, I came close to calling it pure BS.

Good holsters make the difference..............

Not wanting to start a [bleep]-storm but................

MM

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I can't believe all the people suggesting a glock 19 for a CCW. IMO its a holster gun. I own one myself its a great gun, but its too much gun for CCW,

Sorry, but I can't agree with that in the least..........in fact, I came close to calling it pure BS.

MM

+1----we may be splitting vernacular hairs to some degree----many people think that concealed handguns and back-up handguns are synonymous....they aren't, at least IMO.

Last edited by gmoats; 12/31/12.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Not sure I follow this and it may be a bit misleading for someone reading this thread to gather some info to pick a concealed carry gun. But the Glock 19 is not a concealed carry pocket pistol along the lines of guns that do fit in that category such a a small J-frame. The Glock 19 is a valid choice for concealed carry, but it is larger and falls into the category of mid-sized holster guns. Nothing wrong with a gun in that category, but it is what it is and some may prefer something that falls into the pocket gun category.

The latest statistics released, which recorded 500 civilian self-defense firearm incidents showed that most of the encounters were inside four yards, were sudden, were brief, and had fewer than three rounds fired. The most common caliber used in all the recorded incidents were 9mm/.38 Special. Large caliber handguns are generally not recommended for such encounters. The weapon needs to be sized such that it is easily concealed and carried at the times needed. Some situations truly warrant a pocket pistol where a mid-sized hoster gun may be too large and too heavy.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Jeez, I carry a Glock 17 or Glock 22 concealed all the time. In fact they are my two smallest handguns. IWB with shorts and a light shirt works even in the hot summertime.

I suggest the G19 as the best overall compromise between reliability, size, weight, firepower, stopping power, and shootability under stress.

Of course we all need to choose what works for us personally. But when one asks for opinions on CCW, opinions are sure to follow.....grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 24 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.