Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7244403 12/30/12
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Friends,

Yesterday afternoon, we learned that our Libby has cancer of the bladder. She's been having some peeing problems lately and after several tests, it turns out that the outlook is .... let's say not so good.

Right now, she's an active fun-loving Scottie dog, the finest of the eight Scotties who have shared their lives with us. And I pray that we can keep her feeling good for another year or so.

Yup, we've cried and held her tight and she's loving the little added attention. We usually do Chinese take-out when coming home from Saturday evening Vigil Mass and I spoiled her last night ... four noodles instead of the usual three.

Hey, we'll just take each day as it comes. Loving and hugging and being a family.

I wrote the little Personal Writing about Libby last year. I hope the dog lovers amongst us can appreciate the love. I cry whenever I read it ... especially now

God Bless,

Steve

----------------------------------------------

Libby

It's a cold winter day, with rain and a touch of snow blowing sideways. And I'm studying a mother lode of Scripture and Gospel. I'm the leader of a Lenten Group at church and I'm amazed at the needful preparation I must do every week.

Anyway, I was taking a break, sitting by the fire with a sleeping Scotty dog, Libby, laying by my side on her favorite flannel blanket. Libby loves to lay on Karen�s lap, or in my chair, or between us on our bed.

Libby is family.

Lib is very close to being nine years old, and I simply HATE that. Libby is our eighth Scottish terrier and she is by far the finest dog-person with which we�ve shared our lives. Dang I hate to see her celebrating her ninth birthday ... Scotties usually live ten years and that's pretty-much it.

One beautiful boy Scottie of ours was a great dog. His name was Stuart. He got melanoma and died a little after his ninth birthday. We knew he was terminal, so we took him on a special trip to the beach. He found an icky dead fish and did all things doggy.

His last effort at the beach was to bring a golf ball-sized pebble to me and drop it on my foot ... then, he got another identical one for Karen and put beside the first. And then, he collected a little pile of rocks, just enough to give one to her veterinary, Dr. Kirsten Shaw, who took such loving care of him and some for his favorite vet techs. Not long after that, our beloved Stuart died.

Too young, our baby boy. Too young dead.

We still have those two little stones, Stuart's last gifts. They are cherished and each rock bears his name. Like all of our little Scotty boys and girls, his ashes will be put into our coffins with us.

And then there was Mac, our first Scottie Dog. He was a rascal and a wonderful dog. He lived to be almost fourteen years of age. He was a diabetic for the last several years of his life, but he still went with us everywhere. Blind and loyal and loving, that was our Mac.

Libby, celebrates her ninth birthday soon and we'll have our little party, just like we always do. She has had a hermatacrit problem for several years (too much blood volume), but she's still wonderfully active. From just watching her, Lib is still in the prime of life.

Anyway, I was just taking my break and contemplating this little and marvelously devoted dog person, Libby. She's kinda long-haired now; she�s had a bath and Karen�s going to clip her soon. Libby doesn't mind and neither do I.

And, HEY, I'd rather lift a glass of Mike's Harder Blueberry Lemonade, supplemented with a wee-bit of additional Blueberry Vodka, to Libby now, while she's active and happy and oh-so full of life. The other end of the Rainbow Bridge is too horrible to contemplate, so let's not even think of it.

Today, just for now, let's celebrate life and the love shared by all the great dogs in our lives. Let's love life for all of the pleasures it gives and cherish it.

by Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am sorry to hear this friend Steve, I have been through it many times myself and it NEVER is any easier.

Just continue to treat her well as I am sure she is used to.

They live way to short of lives and I have often sworn "no more after this one" but I always fall for another, be it a dog or cat. One always enters when one leaves and keeps me going awhile longer.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry to hear about Libby s problems. I have a Shepard/retriever mix that is 15 years old. She is having hip/leg problems now, but is still happy and active. I dread the day I have to put her down.

I hope 2013 treats you well. Always remember the good times that you have had with your family and pets.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sorry to hear ya'll have a sickness in your family. Hope it works out for the best.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IF AND WHEN YOUR LIBBY PASSES AWAY SHE AND ALL OF YOUR LOVED 1'S WILL BE WAITING AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE SO YOU CAN BE LOVINGLY TOGETHER AGAIN.
I'M A FIRM BELIEVER IN THIS BECAUSE THEY WERE PUT ON THIS EARTH BRING US,JOY,LAUGHTER AND LOVE.PRAYERS TO ALL.Skeeter

Last edited by crittergetter; 12/30/12.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear this news. Watching a dog-child lose vitality hurts a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hate seeing this brother Steve. My Black Lab, Bebe also has cancer (thyroid). We found out this past July, and through medication we were able to hold the tumor in check for a while. Now we can't, so she gets spoiled a little more every day. We know she won't be with us for much longer, but what a joy it was to have her over the last 13 years.

My best to you and Karen.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about Libby.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry, Steve. T Lee says it well. Our little buddies help us through difficult days, enrich our best days, and invariably show us a selfless devotion. In return they ask for so little and mostly forgive when we let them down or disappoint. It feels cruel that their time is so much shorter than ours, but like so much else, that's not something we control. Will pray your time with Libby remains rich and peaceful, and while it is hard on us that she knows neither sorrow nor suffering.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Steve,
Elvie and I will say a special prayer for Libby. I remember
When you got her. We know how much she means to you
And Karen.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Steve,
Elvie and I will say a special prayer for Libby. I remember
When you got her. We know how much she means to you
And Karen.

Thanks Sam,

We lit a forest fire of Prayer Candles last evening at Vigil Mass and spent some serious knee time; for Libby.

We're just going to enjoy every single day as if it was Libby's last and OUR last.

Way over 20 years ago, my mom was diagnosed with a aneurisym of the descending aorta. The operation was 50% fatal, 25% chance of becoming a vegetable and 25% chance of some form of normal.

Mom decided to let God sort it out. That He could take here when He wanted her ... and in the meanwhile, she lived every day as if it was her last.

And about eighteen months after diagnosis, it was THAT day.

Karen and I found her dead on her bedroom floor. Apparently, she was getting ready for bed and died LITERALLY in one heartbeat.

It was so spooky to see her tea and Tang set out for morning, her little slippers lined up by the bed for morning ... her stupid letter to Publishers Clearinghouse (I mailed it and she still didn't fuggin' win grin)

Anyway, we're gonna spoil this little Lassy like no Lassy has ever been spoiled. And one day will be her last .... but just not now.

God Bless You and Elvie; THANK YOU for your prayers and please keep them coming.

Your friend Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been there. Sorry to hear of this. Enjoy the days she has left, but they are always too few.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Steve, you and the wife enjoy her while you can, been thru it myself never easy! take care!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Stuart was Libby's grandfather. He was a GREAT Scottie ... Libby's even better.

Yep, every day is precious. And we will cherish each day to its fullest.

Libby and our cat, Stowie, are cuddled up and sleeping together right now. Stowie is a gorgeous tuxedo cat that stowed away in our trailer house fifteen years ago ... when we got home, we had a two-month old cat. Anyway, they are best buddies.

Blessings,

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm sorry to hear about Libby. Enjoy everyday and spoil accordingly. Not a day goes by I don't think about Rocky who has passed 4 years this July. Coby, our mixed breed turns 13 this month and hasn't been doing well. Dogs are the best, but it always ends badly.
Raising a glass in her honor!

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You're a good Dog Libby.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Steve, I am sad to hear this.Its been a bad dog year here, I lost the best dog I ever expect to see, and our freind JB lost his bird dog Gideon...
All I can tell you, and it pains me,is that when the dog begins showing signs of pain, take her and let her go, she doesnt deserve to suffer a single day....and stay with her when the deed is done. She has always been there for you.....
On the up side, the world is full of good dogs, when the time comes find one, and make another good life for another good freind...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve,

So sorry to hear this. Dog's surely are special and I don't think that's any accident on the Lord's part.

Prayers sent.

Me

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sorry to hear about your little friend. I hope all the best. Man's best friend is an understatement.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Prayers sent for Libby, Karen, and you. A neighbor has a Scottie we see when we take our daily walk. I think of Libby when he barks at us for their yard. He's a friendly dog.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1234, 1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,249
Posts18,504,670
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.