Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks guys,

I have a good background on the Browning and Winchester heavy Badger barrel BPCRs, but I'm no expert on shooting them. Although I participate in local BPCR silhouette competition, and once in a while get out to the local range with my Browning's, I'm still on a steep learning curve. I'll check in on this site once in a while to see what's going on.

Some of you BPCR shooters and reloaders may be interested in the articles I've posted on my site. See the URL (address) below. Although the article info is "flavored" by my interest in the Browning and Winchester BPCRs, much of the information can apply to other brand of BPCRs.

By the way, I assume most of you know that, through a licensing agreement with the Herstal Group/Olin Corp., since 2006 Winchester Repeating Arms has been a part of Browning, and Miroku, the Japanese company that made the Browning 1885 High Wall & BPCRs, made the 1885 Low Wall and High Wall Limited Series rifles for Winchester. With minor cosmetic differences, the receivers are identical.

Wishing everyone a great 2013.
Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I meant to comment further on the Winchester Limited Series 1885 .50-90 Sharps. As someone mentioned, there are two models and Win. has no plans to have Miroku mfg. more.

One is a 8.25 lb. rifle. It has a straight octagon barrel (made by Miroku). This rifle has a cresent buttplate and a straight grip stock. It's a copy of the Browning Traditional Hunter and is clearly made for hunting. I can't even imagine shooting this one prone with full loads and would gladly give out "YOU DA MAN" patches to anyone doing it during a silhouette match. I believe the twist rate on this model is also 1:26, but don't know for sure.

Using "poetic license", Win. marketing guys referred to the other model as the Creedmoor version. It has a half octagon half round heavy 30" Badger barrel and is the one currently listed on GunBroker and referred to earlier in this thread. The rifle weighs in at around 11.2 lbs without sights and is a copy of the Browning BPCRs without sights. The stock has a shotgun style buttplate and a pistol grip. This one may be more forgiving in prone position but Miroku/Win. should have made it with a true 34" Creedmoor barrel to tame the recoil a little more. Personally I would not recommend it for silhouette, but it may be fine for Creedmoor competition out to 1000 yds. I've sold a couple to guys in Canada that had plans to take them elk hunting.

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 01/03/13.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wayne,

Regarding the Win. .45-70 1885 High Wall Traditional Sporter 45 that is on Gunbroker, is it already drilled and tapped for a tang sight?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hi Ed,

Yes, the tang is drilled and tapped for 10-32 screws to mount a tang sight. The hole spacing is 2.185", which is standard for the Browning/Winchester BPCRs.

Wayne

See www.texas-mac.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.