Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So I'm considering one of these... LINK

It's the EoTech EXPS with a BDC type reticle and their flip to side 3.25x magnifier.

Anybody here have experience with this setup?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have an Aimpoint ML3 with an Aimpoint 3x magnifier in a Larue mount. Only had it a few months but so far I'm liking it a lot. The magnifier hangs over on the R-hand side of the rifle not deployed so that COULD be an issue. It gets in my way doing my ejection port check after firing a string of shots, you just have to cant the rifle a tad more. That setup gives a lot of versatility, IMO.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am wondering about these things myself. Yesterday in a flock of runnning hogs I missed 3 times again (only killed 3 of them) I keep wishing for a scope with a tiny lit dot right in the center that is really easy to see against the twigss and branches.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
These are pretty sweet - considering one for 6.8 I'm waiting on parts for. Buddy has one on an AR10 and is pretty nice;
http://leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have thought of that scope from time to time. Do you know how many MOA the dot in the middle subtends?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Can I ask why?

For not much more weight and a lot more practicality, you could get a full-size scope (or even a compact, but regardless), and an offset microdot/Fastfire/Docter-type optic in the 1 o' clock position.

The magnifiers are just awkward. Big dot in the middle, extra lens, have to be especially certain it lines up correctly behind your optic.

FWIW, in all I have researched, I have not seen a reputable instructor using a magnifier -- but I'm sure some have and/or do, but... yeah.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
for the sake of conversation, I agree in principle with you regards magnifiers-extra weight.

Let's go back to the OP's question regards the EO Tech and Magnifier.

to which I can add: I saw one with the non NV EXPS + magnifier for $900 just the other day at Bullseye Range and Guns in Lawrenceville GA.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

FWIW, in all I have researched, I have not seen a reputable instructor using a magnifier -- but I'm sure some have and/or do, but... yeah.

I guess I ain't reputable. I guess all those SOF types who come through where I work running magnifiers ain't reputable either.

The greatest thing about a magnifier in a Larue mount is this. You can just take the damn thing off, if you so choose, and put it back on if need be. It affects nothing else, and 3X enables the average guy to hit about as far as he's going to be able to hit. At 140 plus yds, hit probability from field positions goes up a couple of magnitudes of order with a little magnification on small, head-sized targets. So, for all but CQB, you need something. A magnifier is just A WAY, I ain't sayin' its the only way or the best.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JOG...Work will only allow me to carry 3x magnification.

And to pre-emptively answer, no I can't change the rules. At least not enough to carry a 1-4 before I'd like to make a purchase.

If I go no-magnifier I'll need a QD mount for it, and another QD mount for another optic for hunting and competition. So a magnified Eotech keeps me from dealing with two mounts and two optics.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
happy new year!

I have seen those 45 degree mounted red dots, but with 40 years of muscle memory one of them would surely not work for me.

This is the combo I saw for $900 but I think it was the non NV combo. Its 23 ounces, or about the same weight as a 1-4 scope plus mount. Not sure but this one has more dots than what I would want I think.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-...red-dot-sight-and-g33-sts-magnifier.html

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
Can I ask why?

For not much more weight and a lot more practicality, you could get a full-size scope (or even a compact, but regardless), and an offset microdot/Fastfire/Docter-type optic in the 1 o' clock position.

The magnifiers are just awkward. Big dot in the middle, extra lens, have to be especially certain it lines up correctly behind your optic.

I can get hits on ten inch plates to 300 easy with just an EoTech or Aimpoint, and 400 is doable if the target is visible. The magnifier just adds the ability to target ID farther.

I have magnifiers from Aimpoint, EoTech, and the Vortex below on a Block II M4.

[Linked Image]

I have access to every military issued optic, and just about every commercial low powered variable and for 300 yards and in the red dot plus magnifier is the fastest combination available and what I choose to use fully 80% of the time.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

It's the EoTech EXPS with a BDC type reticle and their flip to side 3.25x magnifier.

Skip the multi dot EoTech. We have used both versions extensively and the setup is better on paper than in actual use. In fact for duty use I would pick a 2 MOA Aimpoint and a magnifier over an EoTech every time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have to agree the simpler the better. I had an Eotech A565 reticle, too busy for me. I do have an Eotech with a 1 minute dot which I like. If I had to do it over again I would have an Aimpoint instead of an Eotech due to battery life and durability and no I do not use mine for any professional use...just varmints.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use mine for varmints too, one thing that I fail to see with most red dot threads is how accurate can you shoot with one.

Ten inch plates at 300 won't get too many coyotes killed. Add a magnifier and odds go up but for me, I'm better with a scope. I use my Aimpoint and eo-thingie for what they were intended for, close range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just curious for a $1069 what does that do for you that a used Leupold 1.5 X 5 won't do? You can find the Leupold used for under $300.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Just curious for a $1069 what does that do for you that a used Leupold 1.5 X 5 won't do? You can find the Leupold used for under $300.

take a few moments and read a little deeper into the thread wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really give me a clue they don't do anything better than the 1.5 x 5.

NRA Lifetime Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bluedreaux is a LEO and scopes are not approved on their carbines from what I understand, only red dots and magnifiers.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

What it won't do? Well the 1.5 will slow you down a tad at pistol ranges, which is why you will find ZERO 3-gunners who run a scope that, at its lowest, is more than 1.1x, like the Burris XTR's or Vortex's. Also, you can't just snatch the scope off and have a bombproof dot to run, which is vastly superior to irons.

Having said all that, I'd be the first to agree that a good 1-4X in a rock solid mount, with a good BUIS, is the most bang for the buck.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think I will try an EoTech to swap back and forth for a scope on one of my guns. My first stop however is a new scope, I agree many can make hits further than I can shoot using just a red dot. I am not a very good shot and would probably struggle to hit 10 inch plates at 300 yards with even a good scope. Most of my shots are under 100 yards. On the other hand I believe in magnification because it lets me see what is in the way of my bullet, branches, twigs, vines, big weeds, etc. Most of my shots are in thick growth. My personal first stop regards a new optic is a new magnified scope but with a lit red dot in the middle. If I had to hunt with an eotech or aimpoint its for sure it would have a magnifier behind it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (257_X_50, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,522
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.