R
cheese dip is not moving well frown

FJB
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Bark hearty my friend. And where was that elk pic taken? Backdrop looks more like Appalachian hardwood hills than out west. [Linked Image]
Well barking helped,2 packs responded to my "barks" one pack was coming closer and I'm excited,NOTHING,they shut up,so no longer "ALPHA DOG" now I'm "SCHIT DOG." laugh Next time I guess.

I'm the last guy in the universe to be giving tips to western song dog shooters, but we do have them here, just hunt them in wildly different fashion I suspect. Fact of it is there's quite a few living in my neighborhood and I often hear them yodel at sunset and always found them responsive to my version of dog barking or even feeble attempts at yodeling. Probably regular call techniques would serve mo betta. I think where the geographic styles diverge greatly is around here there is little point in loud calls, be it howling, barking or much anything else. Secret weapon of the South is the squeaker. I really don't know what the range of a squeaker is, but we don't have enough visual range in these parts to exceed it so far as I can tell. Shotguns, camo and patience along with mouse gang bang vocals seems to work well enough. I like #3 or #4 buck myself but I don't save the hides. I've come near to puttin' powder burns on a couple of 'em. I'd guess a squeaker should be be good out to 100 yards or better.

YMMV

BD

PS w/edit: My version of a squeaker is pretty much what a kids toy or perhaps a dog bone squeaking toy sounds like, wait, that's what it is. I don't bang it hard, just try to make a melody of sorts out of it. Intermittent. Lust, love, food sounds as I imagine a mouse poet would craft.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 01/01/13.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockchucker
cheese dip is not moving well frown

Consult with Elmer at hand?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Elmer, you going to make it?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Dan when these were barking,yodeling at me they were probably 150-200 yards they just sang and came nearer then just quit.The sun has been up for about 5-10 minutes,so maybe greeting sun and ignoring my calls. Nutty me,I'm going to order a ki-yi call and mix it with the barking call. I did call this place earlier so,maybe,they know it's me and are just teasing,tormenting me(the sick bast***.) I"ll just keep trying.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did an edit above,take a look see. The ki-yi is used in these parts on occasion but only in the very initial effort to get their attention. It is more commonly used in the hilly uplands around ag land than in timber. In the timber they tend to travel stream bed courses and venture beyond only when trying to become a Freightliner grill ornament near bridges.

I am..........disturbed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've called in more dogs with a squeaker than anything else around here. Little plastic thing on with a rubber hanging doodad on it to put your finger through. Just started with the barking and kiyi-ing last year and had some luck with that as well.

Good luck elkhunter! Blow their guts out! Using that 22-6mm?

MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Dan,I've used the ki-yi and the jackrabbit call after killing one and trying to bring another one in,sometime it work,sometime it don't. I just don't use squeakers much because when they come in they are running,then when they get close BANG! The last one I killed never saw me,when it was shot running by at 40-50 yards. [Linked Image]
Here is a picture of the brush behind my son.

[Linked Image]
Another pic of the terrain in which I call in(that is my daughter.)

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I've called in more dogs with a squeaker than anything else around here. Little plastic thing on with a rubber hanging doodad on it to put your finger through. Just started with the barking and kiyi-ing last year and had some luck with that as well.

Not today,took my Winchester .243 out and I can get them to bark,yodel at the calls,but just not coming in and it's frustrating!
[Linked Image]
Here is a picture of it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Try whistling and slapping your leg saying come here boy?

grin

MAGA
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
No,but next time out,going to try this "HERE DOGGIE HERE DOGGIE DOGGIE GOT SOME FRESH JACKRABBIT," think it will work. smile

Last edited by elkhunternm; 01/01/13.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

+1, and woodpecker/bird in distress. Although it didn't work for [bleep] today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, try roadrunner scent mebbe? 'yotes are always a trip, hey?

One other thing you might try is planting some phoucin' trees. What's a fella 'sposed to hide behind anyway? laugh

One of the hazards of squeakers in heavy cover and timber is all the chitt you call in that you'd rather not. I've not experienced this myself but quite a few fellas I know have, that being the pleasure of having a Great Horned owl or similar monster arriving with little fanfare and trying to skull phouc you for acting like a mouse. laugh Oh happy days!
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Trees? Who needs trees.

DD, Kick your cold?

Elk, was it cold this AM. Pretty chilly near Bingham.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm past the hacking/no sleep phase but can hardly speak. Sound like frog farts in a 55 gal drum and have trouble with words having more that two syllables. I'm stickin' with chitt/phouc/etc.
Otherwise feeling better by a mile but there were three days there I don't want to re-live. Nasty chitt, whatever it was. I ain't barkin' at dogs for a spell.

I am..........disturbed.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SLM
Trees? Who needs trees.

DD, Kick your cold?

Elk, was it cold this AM. Pretty chilly near Bingham.
It was 16 degrees this morning,from the temp gauge in the truck.

Dan,those are mesquite bush and I sit on the shady side(COLD)and keep still.

Along with calling in coyotes,Red-tailed hawks,crows and the cows look at me funny. grin

Last edited by elkhunternm; 01/01/13.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm gonna send you some palmetto fronds to use for hasty cover. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cows love to [bleep] with you when they here a call.
(logcutter)

2013 is gonna be a great year.

Not to be a total homo but it started out with a neat sunrise and I been drinking since noon......grin

Happy New Year [bleep]. May we all have a good one!

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/01/13.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'm gonna send you some palmetto fronds to use for hasty cover. laugh
Be my luck the coyotes will piss on them,the cows will schit on them,then I'll have to carry that to the Post Office and mail them back with a polite note,which will read; GFY DAN! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Cows love to [bleep] with you when they here a call.
(logcutter)

2013 is gonna be a great year.

Not to be a total homo but it started out with a neat sunrise and I been drinking since noon......grin

Happy New Year [bleep]. May we all have a good one!

If the cows could talk,this is what they would say "What the HELL is going on over there,sounds like Jr.is playing with himself again." grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 719 of 2,579 1 2 717 718 719 720 721 2578 2579

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.