Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Personally I think S&K's are ugly, but to each his own.

Hideous. wink

[Linked Image]

But you're right, to each his own

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
nsaqam,

The reason a lot of people have mentioned Talley Lightweights despite the OP saying he wants steel is because they know his assumption that aluminum mounts are ALWAYS weaker than steel is BS.

With this I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by Brad
Personally I think S&K's are ugly, but to each his own.

Hideous. wink

[Linked Image]

But you're right, to each his own

They make a Hubble look even worse grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW, never heard of a 40mm Conquest referred to as a Hubble but the pic certainly does make it look like one. laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nsaqam
nsaqam,

The reason a lot of people have mentioned Talley Lightweights despite the OP saying he wants steel is because they know his assumption that aluminum mounts are ALWAYS weaker than steel is BS.

With this I wholeheartedly agree.

Absolutely....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Coach_W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So far I've got a few rings to look into that I've never used/ heard of before.

My dislike for aluminum rings spawns from stripped screws, and bent rings... Not during use but during installation/removal. Personally I've never had any luck with them. Not trying to say they are weaker or starting anything... Just saying personally I prefer steel.

S&K will most likely be my next ring purchase. I like a company that stands behind their product.

S&K site

Anything is better than the Winchester logo.
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I have used S&K mounts for years, great product, and excellent customer service.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nightforce Ultralight or Badger.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a lot of durable, life time capable rings made of both aluminum and steel out there.
Depending on application some have merit over others.
Blanket condemnation based on material type show the thinker likely has other areas to beef up first.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Near Mfg. Richard Near manufactures functional art. His Alpha units may not be stronger than all the others, but I doubt any are stronger than his system either.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad- I looked at the S&K but cannot tell how they lock down the scope? Can't tell from the sight and have not seen complete pics of them. Yours look nice. For now I am pretty sold on Talley but am open minded.

Not a fan of the look of vertical rings. It is like the rifle got a mohawk!

shocked

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&K use a steel strap with projections on the bottom. You wrap the rings around the scope and stick those projections in the bases. Opposing cone point set screws in the bases are then screwed in squeezing the ring projections together securing the scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nsaqam,

The reason a lot of people have mentioned Talley Lightweights despite the OP saying he wants steel is because they know his assumption that aluminum mounts are ALWAYS weaker than steel is BS.ece bases. This isn't true, because 1-piece bases typically use 3 screws, while 2-piece bases use 4 screws.

That's exactly why I replied the way I did. But it appear that he's already made his mind up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I used just about every kind of mount going since I started shooting 50 + years ago. I like several of the ones mentioned. But if I decide that I can't live with out an Blaser R-8. I think I am going to break with tradition, and go with a Rail Mounts rather than rings. Warnes and Talleys are my favorites. Thou I used a lot of Sako's on a number of sako rifles I owned in including a Sako 75 in 338. The key is having the mounts properly installed, not every Joe two thumbs at the gun shop can do that. Most all the scope mount problems I have seen were not due to the mount but to poor installation.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S&K, Conetrol or steel Talleys are all nicer steel rings and good choices, IMO. I like the S&Ks for their combination of strength, looks and lightweight.

I've had several pairs of Talley LWs, still have one on a 223, and mine have worked OK. Friends have had them break though, and that definitely makes me less inclined to put them on a 'serious' rifle. OMMV... smile

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Wrongside
S&K, Conetrol or steel Talleys are all nicer steel rings and good choices, IMO. I like the S&Ks for their combination of strength, looks and lightweight.

I've had several pairs of Talley LWs, still have one on a 223, and mine have worked OK. Friends have had them break though, and that definitely makes me less inclined to put them on a 'serious' rifle. OMMV... smile

Originally Posted by gmsemel
The key is having the mounts properly installed, not every Joe two thumbs at the gun shop can do that. Most all the scope mount problems I have seen were not due to the mount but to poor installation.

I agree, also if the bridge of the receiver is not properly machined and things are out of alignment you may have problems with the talley lightweights....but that is definately not the fault of the talley system, it's the cheap azz rifle you are puting them on!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The key is having the mounts properly installed, not every Joe two thumbs at the gun shop can do that. Most all the scope mount problems I have seen were not due to the mount but to poor installation.

I agree, also if the bridge of the receiver is not properly machined and things are out of alignment you may have problems with the talley lightweights....but that is definately not the fault of the talley system, it's the cheap azz rifle you are puting them on!!

Customized Winchesters and Remingtons, fully trued. In the case of the M70s, bridges surface ground true. Cheap? OK.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have and have had most all the steel rings mentioned in this thread. And I have a few rifles with Talley Lightweights and a few with Burris Signatures.
But for me Leupold Dual Dovetails are my favorite all steel ring and base system. Just simple, snag free sleek, and super strong.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I must be gettin' really old. I still like my Tildens.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Customized Winchesters and Remingtons, fully trued. In the case of the M70s, bridges surface ground true. Cheap? OK.

I've never had a problem so wtf is yours? You are doing something wrong..... whistle

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,707
Posts18,475,342
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.