-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got two 17 HMR's and a 22 Hornet but STILL want one of these...IF chambered in a quality rifle.

Single shot falling block like in the video would be VERY NICE!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It appears that Savage Arms is in on this too.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm250
It's gonna fall flat on it's azz

Mike

It may, but I'm more willing to blame the economy if it fails. I thought the HMR was a joke when it came out, but it seems to do well.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Neat - but all I can say is that I hope ignition's more reliable than current rimfire fodder..

I think for now I'll stick with my .17 Rem...

Thanks for the post Rick - I didn't know they were workin' on this round.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by 6mm250
It's gonna fall flat on it's azz

Mike

It may, but I'm more willing to blame the economy if it fails. I thought the HMR was a joke when it came out, but it seems to do well.

i like my 17HMR cause most my "varmint hunting" is on ground squirrels, not prairie dogs and for the most part i much prefer a rimfire for the chore than a centerfire....used to have a 223 bolt gun and i wound up selling it cause it never got used cause when i stepped up to Coyotes i always grabbed my "deer rifle".....and there are alot of guys like me which is why the 17 has done well....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love my 17 HMR and miss my old 17 Ackley Hornet at times. But what it comes down to is the HMR and even the old Ackley Hornet I had were not great guns themselves. The HMR is just a typical CZ 452 Varmint. I like it for what it is, but it feels like a toy. Meanwhile, the 17 AH was built an a 77/22 Hornet and wouldn't feed for anything.

If its a nice rifle/action, I may buy one. If not, I may have to pick up a CZ 527 and build another Ackley Hornet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no doubt my Savage feels "toy like" but i actually kinda like it the gun is super light weight and has a good trigger so it gets carried and kills things.....wouldnt mind a 17 Hornet or maybe this new rimfire in a better gun, i think it would prolly get used more than the 223 did....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Can't see any point to it. Looks like it's gonna cost about 30 cents a round. For that much $$$, I'll take a .22 LR or reload a centerfire. Like all the other fads, they'll stop making ammo for it as soon as the rifle loonies buy a few and sales drop off. Unlike the other fads, you won't be able to save cases and reload them.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will they build them in South Carolina?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not directed to you Micky.....but why is it just cause someone has no use for a round it automatically becomes useless.....i have no use for most 22 centerfires but do know they serve a purpose....i go from rimfires than jump to "deer rounds" like the 260 rem because i dont shoot prairie dogs often enough to matter and im not interested in saving the pelts when i do shoot coyotes....given most the varmints i shoot are sub 1 pound at less than 200 yards rimfire rounds make a hell of alot of sense....

Last edited by rattler; 01/04/13.

IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Likely a neat round and in rim fire only areas might fill a niche that the 17 Hornady Hornet doesn't.
Be that as it may my guess is that any chance for long term success the Winchester round might of had disappeared back when the 17 Hornady Hornet arrived on the scene.
Timing is everything. Winchester is a couple days late,IMO. Best to the round anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here�re some random thoughts on this.

Prior sales - The .17 HMR has taken off like a rocket. It is accurate as all get out, fast and flat out to as far as a lot of folks shoot. America is getting suburbanized; it shoots as far as a lot of people can shoot safely. It has enough power to nail woodchucks, fox and anything smaller and a lot of folks even use it for bigger stuff . Joe Public has come to associate the .17 caliber with fast, flat, cheap and deadly.

This is America. If fast is good, faster is better. If .17 fast is good, .17 lots faster has to be lots better.

Price � lots of people don�t reload, in fact most shooters (aka customers) don�t reload. Price of factory ammo is a big consideration for them, probably a really, really big consideration. The .17 Hornet and whatever might be great, but the cost of a box of centerfire ammo is still higher than a box of rimfire ammo, even if the rimfire ammo is $15 per 50 or whatever it will be.

The Hornet does fit into existing rimfire type rifles. The Ruger 77/22 is chambered for the .22 Hornet and the 77/17 is chambered for the 17 Hornet. I don�t know off the top of my head what other brands are like that, maybe CZ, but anyway, the potential is there to convert existing designs cheaply.

We, the intellectual cr�me de le cr�me of the shooting world, may not leap for joy at another rimfire that doesn�t do anything better than our existing centerfire rounds which we reload cheaply, but we are just a pimple compared to the mountain of potential customers that read and heed Guns and Ammo.

As Yogi Berra once said, �it�s hard to predict stuff, especially about the future�. Folks predicted the immediate death of the .300 WSM, I think you can still find a few of those around. Folks predicted the immediate death of the .17 HMR, again, I think at least one manufacturer still chambers at least one firearm for it, maybe two.

Most folks think about their own needs and wants and then extrapolate the rest of the world from there. But I think Winchester did their market research on this one. Besides, new toys are always good.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was a nicely written post, Jim.

I don't need one and likely will never buy one, but more power to Winchester and any one who wants one. smile

(BTW, I checked and it appears that Yogi Berra is still alive and I'm glad to know that.)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
We, the intellectual cr�me de le cr�me of the shooting world, may not leap for joy at another rimfire that doesn�t do anything better than our existing centerfire rounds which we reload cheaply,

for holes in paper I would have to agree with you. But where the differance that sets them apart more than any other is in existing small game and predator regulations that limit or restrict the use of centerfires.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
We, the intellectual cr�me de le cr�me of the shooting world...

Now that is FUNNY...

If half the guys here had been around when the 30-06 was first introduced, they would have immediately predicted its imminent demise.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Totally missed this post.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Will get excited about the time they reintroduce the .44 Henry Flat.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Another passing fad,it will come and then disappear!

I guarantee that..

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Does anyone know if it'll be offered in a semi-auto?

The semi-auto HMR's suffered from out of battery firings and nearly everyone quit making them.

If it works in a semi, it'll be a HUGE hit.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,547
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.