-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not my thing, but have at it if you like it. Don't forget the fingerless gloves and 5:11 gear....

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Honestly I don't care for black rifles, but I could deal with an ar in 6.8 spc for deer hunting and be fine. Just because they don't float my boat doesn't mean that they aren't more than up to the task at hand.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by doorgunner
There is a young fella on our hunting lease that hunts with an AR10 in .308, and he kills deer quite dead, and some of his shots are made at very respectable ranges. He served a decade in the military, and hunts with the type of rifle that he is familiar with. I see no reason not to endorse the AR platform for big game hunting. Much like our forefathers did with the bolt action, after coming home from WWI.

Similar story here, in my group of hunting buddies the guy that has killed the most and biggest deer over the last 5 years hunts with an AR in a .308. Most of his deer are taken over 300 yards.

He is a former marine and says it just feels right; I am in no place to argue.

At the end of the day, for most of us hunting is about enjoying ourselves. Hunt with what you enjoy assuming of course it is legal and ethical.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
AR's have their place, but are they "Hunting Rifles"?

Link to the NSSF site

Is your name Zumbo by any chance?

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It's a hunting rifle if you use it for hunting. I would I'd I could and I am kinda fuddish.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Off the mark? Why, of course not! The NSSF shouldn't stop there. They can also tout the Saiga as just the thing in a duck blind or for quail hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could have worn a Saiga out 13 years ago when the sky was dark with snow geese and there was no limit on them or how many shells in my gun

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Self defense, liberty, plinking, target and even "just because" all make sense to me.

But I think it a bit too cheeky to promote them as "hunting rifles"

Why?

I wouldn't hunt elk with mine (.223 and .300 Blackout uppers), but varmints and smaller big game, absolutely. Better choice than my handguns.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have mine all set for varmints and it has done yeoman's work w/ woodchucks, coyotes, crows, and will someday in the not-too-distant-future knock over a whitetail or 3.

Sounds like a huntin rifle to me.

Of course the main reason I have it is for when the two major parties force a meltdown and the fecal matter hits the indoor circulation system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 270Mag
Off the mark? Why, of course not! The NSSF shouldn't stop there. They can also tout the Saiga as just the thing in a duck blind or for quail hunting.
Very few people hunt wolves and so their suspicions on what makes a wolf rifle is exceedingly limited. If you would think several hundred miles between sightings, multiple wolves during a sighting are more common than a lone wolf and a 10 wolf per day bag limit then you're closing in on what its like to wolf hunt in my area. An AR type rifle simply can't be beat. You can use something else, but my statement was based on what is best. Maybe there are areas where a Saiga works best for quail and ducks--I don't know--I do know ARs and wolf hunting are a near perfect match.......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
AR's can be used as hunting rifles.

The problem is as soon as you start putting each type of gun in their own little bucket you open yourself up to that bucket being taken away.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Very few people hunt wolves and so their suspicions on what makes a wolf rifle is exceedingly limited. If you would think several hundred miles between sightings, multiple wolves during a sighting are more common than a lone wolf and a 10 wolf per day bag limit then you're closing in on what its like to wolf hunt in my area. An AR type rifle simply can't be beat. You can use something else, but my statement was based on what is best. Maybe there are areas where a Saiga works best for quail and ducks--I don't know--I do know ARs and wolf hunting are a near perfect match.......

My point is that black rifles and the Saiga are in the same category - they aren't traditional sporting weapons, and it's pretty tough to paint them as appropriate for hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not saying they are the best option, but they do work!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My point is that black rifles and the Saiga are in the same category - they aren't traditional sporting weapons, and it's pretty tough to paint them as appropriate for hunting.
Every technological advancement falls prey to this sort of "argument," but its point has been missed by previous generations of hunters, thankfully. Going from blackpowder to smokeless, front loaders to metallic cartridges, single shots to repeaters and lever guns to bolt action rifles have seen this kind of ignorant argument. I keep hoping we'll leave these kinds of things behind us, but ignorance goes largely unhindered.

If you want traditional, go loin cloth and rocks/clubs, otherwise you're embracing technological advancement. There are few English words that have more definitions and less meaning than "traditional." Just for clarity, "traditional" wasn't in the OP's question.....

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Promoting them as hunting weapons is the only way to go. People who don't shoot/hunt often say things like they agree with guns for hunting but see no need for "assault weapons". Those middle of the road people will largely decide the issue. You can't convince me losing my gun rights is in any way ethical or prudent at the same time a flaming liberal will never believe anyone needs a gun for any purpose. We must change the undecided in the middle. That is where almost all political battles are won. Someone earlier in the thread cautioned against pigeonholing guns lest we lose them piecemeal, he was absolutely correct. I apologize for rambling but this issues gets me a bit worked up.

-Z

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have read on here. And THAT is saying something.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The M-16 might have been a technological advancement 50 years ago, but it hardly qualifies as such now. And there is nothing "technologically advanced" about using an AR to hunt with.

Last edited by 270Mag; 01/08/13.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nothing dumb about it, Trav. AR's and Saiga's are not hunting weapons - they're thinly-disguised military weapons. The NSSF is merely attempting to gloss over that fact to appease their sponsors, and to deflect the negative pub from the SH shootings. It's no different than branding black rifles and the like as "modern sporting weapons".

Last edited by 270Mag; 01/08/13.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nothing dumb about it, Trav. AR's and Saiga's are not hunting weapons - they're thinly-disguised military weapons. The NSSF is merely attempting to gloss over that fact to appease their sponsors, and to deflect the negative pub from the SH shootings. It's no different than branding black rifles and the like as "modern sporting weapons".

That's the 2nd dumbest thing I've ever read on here. You're gonna take the blue ribbon with your aggregrate score.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The M-16 might have been a technological advancement 50 years ago, but it hardly qualifies as such now. And there is nothing "technologically advanced" about using an AR to hunt with.
It is obvious you are entirely clueless. I hoped ignorance or ill-informed was the cause, but clearly moron is a better descriptor. I suspect further posts will substantiate this suspicion.....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 13,628 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,116
Posts18,542,168
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.