Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So guys, i've really been feeling the itch to purchase a 9.3x62 for a while now, and im tempted to go and pull the trigger on either a Tikka T3 or CZ550 in the said caliber tommorrow morning at my local store. The only problem is, I'm having trouble justifying the purchase to myself, as I've already got a T3 chambered in 30-06, and don't hunt game any bigger than the Sambar deer (about the same size as an Elk). My usual medicine of 180g core-lokts works just fine on them.

I'd love to have a 9.3, but im still at university and only work part time, and my reasonable side is telling me to either save the money, or spend it on new equipment i need, like a chainsaw and new radio. I guess what im really looking for is opinions. Is there really any reason that I "need" a 9.3 when my 30-06 does the job well already? Im considering trying some 200 or 220g loads just to mix things up a bit, and keep me interested until a later date when perhaps I can justify another rifle. Im sure every rifle looney goes through this, but this time its extra tough!

You only live once.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the 9.3 if you can't live without it.

Sell the Tikka.

Buy a chainsaw.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well Aleks, obviously you have answered your own questions.

But get one anyway.

Have you considered the Zastava in that chambering? A lot cheaper.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Seems to me you don't "need" to poke bigger holes in smaller game, but the itch is there. I'd hold off for a while, and see if the itch gets so bad you absolutely can't stand the irritation before you try to scratch it.

But why anyone would listen to my advice about NOT buying another rifle is well beyond my comprehension. The longest I waited to scratch the itch was 3 years, bt I got the rifle I NEEDED (right) for a lot better price at the end of the wait.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RWE
Get the 9.3 if you can't live without it.

Sell the Tikka.

Buy a chainsaw.

Sounds like a good approach, you scratch your new itch and buy the things you need. After all you can always get an 06 down the road again when that itch resurfaces.

I have a 9.3 also, have yet to draw blood with it, but it is a very satisfying cartridge to load and shoot.

Last edited by TwoTrax; 01/06/13.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 9.3x62 (CZ 550 American Kevlar) and like TwoTrax, I've yet to draw blood with it. I too had a hard time justifying it since it will be used for hunting deer, elk and hogs and already had other rifles that work on large game. I guess I was just intrigued by the reviews and stories about the old caliber.

I'm still trying to find that magic load. So far, I've tried Varget and RS Big Game and both were acceptable but, will be trying Reloader 17 next. I will be using 286 gr. Nosler Partitions.

Last edited by Biggs300; 01/06/13.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've thought about selling the 06, but i cant being myself to do it. Bought it when I was 15, and shot my first ever deer with it. Too much sentimental value. I have considered a zastava, and have had a look at one chambered in 7x57. Looks like a good working rifle for the price. Guess ill have to make the choice tommmorrow morning!

You only live once.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Keep the 30, wait on the 9.3. Buying is only fun when you don't have to worry about it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Keep the 30, wait on the 9.3. Buying is only fun when you don't have to worry about it.

Travis

+1. The 9.3 may kick a bit more than you "always" like, never ever sell a nice 06.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This 111 sold for $800 on GB in Dec.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

This,is the best advice. I have only two .30-06 rifles left, of about 15 I have owned, as I sold one Brno ZG-47, my minty Mannlicher MC carbine and my early Browning Safari during the past 1.5 years and I have four 9,3x62 rifles, have had a couple of others.

The 9.3 is NOT hard to handle and seems an ideal round for much of "big" as in elk, moose, ect, hunting. It is also easy to load for and mine have given stellar accuracy, but, based on sad experience, I have to agree with the above comment.

It seldom seems to the true gun nut, that you WILL EVER get all the neat guns you crave; believe me, I have done so for almost 50 years and you would be surprised how quickly some of these desires can turn to "buyer's remorse" if you step beyond what you can comfortably afford to scratch a particular itch....I worked two jobs in my '50s, sometimes 4-5 weeks of split shifts in 16 hour days to afford much of what I now have and I now regret that.....just some friendly advice from a guy who has BTDT smile

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Keep the .30-06 if it is accurate. Never sell an accurate rifle. Personally the 9.3 x 62 has more recoil than I would want to deal with -- .30-06 with 200 grain bullets is about my limit, and I think a lot of people feel the same.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
This 111 sold for $800 on GB in Dec.

[Linked Image]

I'd hate to think what it would cost to get that rifle imported to Australia, which is where I'm guessing the OP is from (Sambar deer). I'd bet that rifle would double in price quite rapidly.

Aleks9210 are you hunting the Sambar on drives? If you are I could see where a large bore thumper like the 9.3X62 would come in handy, especially for a shorter barreled rifle with ghost ring sights. Something that handles fast, points easily, and is minute of Sambar out to 200 yards/meters.

If you reload I'd be tempted to pick up an old Enfield down there cheap and rebarrel to a 9.3x303 when you get the money. However, if a guy has a good .30-06 you can't get much better than that for the game you described. If you need better tools that will make you more money long term to feed your rifle habit, I'd buy the tools

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always have a 30-06, and that would be one of my first to get and last to let go. Currently have a nice Sako 30-06 that does not let me down. In big magnums, my favorite is the 416 Remington and I currently have a nice Winchester 416 that does not let me down. My 9.3x62, which is another Sako, was purchased not to replace my 30-06, but was intended for use when I wanted to shoot bigger bullets on big stuff without using the magnum. I look at it as another 30-06 that shoots bigger bullets. I've entertained the thought of doing an extreme downsizing and using this 9.3x62 to replace both my '06 and my 416, but I cannot bring myself to sell either. If I were frugal enough and didn't have such love for the 30-06, I'd then probably stick with the 9.3x62 and never own the other two. In that scenerio, I could probably live with a .22lr, a .243Win, and the 9.3x62 to serve all my rifle needs for anything I'd care to hunt, including Africa.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Aleks9210
So guys, i've really been feeling the itch to purchase a 9.3x62 for a while now, and im tempted to go and pull the trigger on either a Tikka T3 or CZ550 in the said caliber tommorrow morning at my local store. The only problem is, I'm having trouble justifying the purchase to myself, as I've already got a T3 chambered in 30-06, and don't hunt game any bigger than the Sambar deer (about the same size as an Elk). My usual medicine of 180g core-lokts works just fine on them.

I'd love to have a 9.3, but im still at university and only work part time, and my reasonable side is telling me to either save the money, or spend it on new equipment i need, like a chainsaw and new radio. I guess what im really looking for is opinions. Is there really any reason that I "need" a 9.3 when my 30-06 does the job well already? Im considering trying some 200 or 220g loads just to mix things up a bit, and keep me interested until a later date when perhaps I can justify another rifle. Im sure every rifle looney goes through this, but this time its extra tough!

Honestly when you lay everything out on the table like that, it seems that you need to wait. Down the road, you'll be in a better financial position to buy one and the good ol 06 is boring at what it does but very effective as we all know. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait.....Set priorities and goals for yourself. Therefore, it sounds like the other tools (you mention) would be at the front of the list....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Biggs300
I have a 9.3x62 (CZ 550 American Kevlar) and like TwoTrax, I've yet to draw blood with it. I too had a hard time justifying it since it will be used for hunting deer, elk and hogs and already had other rifles that work on large game. I guess I was just intrigued by the reviews and stories about the old caliber.

I'm still trying to find that magic load. So far, I've tried Varget and RS Big Game and both were acceptable but, will be trying Reloader 17 next. I will be using 286 gr. Nosler Partitions.

If you want magic, you should try RE15 instead of skating and ducking around it...They arn't that hard to load for...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The day comes for every hunter when he realizies that all he ever really needed was a .30-06.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The day comes for every hunter when he realizies that all he ever really needed was a .30-06.

Or 3 huh swampy.... grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The day comes for every hunter when he realizies that all he ever really needed was a .223AI

Fixt it for ya!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Noone ever need any AI.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.