Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

First, let me say that I believe Melvin Forbes is a genius and he absolutely knows what he is doing.

Now, those who personally know Mr. Forbes might be able to tell me about the way he does his full-length bedding. (I know why he does it. I read about it on his web site.)

Is it hard to do it as well as he does it? Why don't more people do it? Is it because it's easy to screw it up if you don't do it well?

I'm actually happy with my free-floated barrels, but can't help but wonder why, since the full-length bedding works so well on NULA rifles, more people don't do it.

(Did I mention that I accept that Melvin Forbes absolutely knows what he's doing?)

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have a rifle that my smith full length bedded and I can tell you it is a lot more work to do correctly. works very well thou and looks good to boot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
tjm,

I've full-length bedded a few bolt-action forends, and it is more difficult than it might appear. The biggie is to get the bedding even all the way out to the end of of the forend. It's relatively easy to end up with a very slight gap at the forend tip, so small you can't really see it, but if that happens accuracy ain't much.

The other trick is to have a very stiff, stable forend. And that's where Melvin's stocks come into play.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish that I knew calculus and could calculate the muzzle droop of the Ken Howell barrel contour. Intuition tells me that it makes the barrel stiffer, but I'd like to know for sure.

Others have "tested" barrel stiffness by hanging weights from the muzzle, which doesn't even come close to my idea of determining how much the muzzle droops because it's cantilevered.

I'd like to see somebody like Mel Forbes experiment with it. Barrel-makers and experimenters have so far been very distantly dismissive and uninterested in exploring the design.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the reminder � I've been a serious student of fluting for a long, long time � its principles, its requirements, its effects, its problems, its dangers, its complications, etc.

My contour is simpler, safer, lighter, less expensive � in a word, better, IMHO.

"Good enough" isn't.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

He covers drop in the analysis if memory serves

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of my contour?

And you mean "droop," I assume.

"Good enough" isn't.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Has anyone ever tried to full length bed a Kimber Montana ? Maybe a stupid thought, but they use a skinny barrel and seem to not shoot like the NULA rifles do (at least some don't ) and I think Melvin helped design the stock on the Kimber so does this sound crazy?

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The biggie is to get the bedding even all the way out to the end of of the forend.

Okay. I can see where that can take some practice.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have one coming in a couple months. Will let the fire know how it works out. The smith doing the work knows what he is doing. He originally wanted to FF but I asked to FLB. He said no problem.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Of my contour?

And you mean "droop," I assume.

I did mean drop. No he doesn't cover your contour

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wish that I knew calculus and could calculate the muzzle droop of the Ken Howell barrel contour. Intuition tells me that it makes the barrel stiffer, but I'd like to know for sure.

Others have "tested" barrel stiffness by hanging weights from the muzzle, which doesn't even come close to my idea of determining how much the muzzle droops because it's cantilevered.

I'd like to see somebody like Mel Forbes experiment with it. Barrel-makers and experimenters have so far been very distantly dismissive and uninterested in exploring the design.

Ken,

Pardon my ignorance, what are the details on your barrel contour?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Goodshot,

I tried several bedding options on my 7-08 Montana including full length barrel floating, a bit of tip pressure, bedding under chamber, etc. and was getting 1-1/4" 5 shot groups consistently - not too bad really. I then bedded the rifle full length and it settled down, consistently shooting around 1" ... sometime a bit better, sometimes a bit worse. First cold barrel shot always seems to go to the same place - a trait I value.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

� what are the details on your barrel contour?

Usual diameter over the chamber, then straight taper to a minimum muzzle diameter (bore diameter plus 0.240 inch, rounded-up to the nearest 0.050 inch). That's a skinny muzzle, all right, and it makes folks shudder, but it gets bigger fast farther up the taper � much faster than it does on contemporary contours. (And the internal pressure, remember, is much, much lower when the bullet exits the muzzle than it is when the bullet is near the breech.)

My goal was making the barrel stiffer. Shifting the center of gravity toward the breech was pure (but welcome!) serendipity. My 26-inch .220 Howell varmint rifle handles very nicely and isn't nearly as heavy or as clumsy as it'd be with a bull barrel or a fluted barrel.

"Good enough" isn't.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks Ken! Very interesting.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
This,is VERY interesting to me, as I have a pair of pristine Brno actions, a 21H and a ZG-47 and am contemplating what/how/when to have really fine, functional light hunting rifles built on them.

I have several fine rifles, Dakota 76, P-64 70s, Brno ZGs and 21/22s with expert full bedding and many of the same makes-models with FF bedding. I find the full bedding does work better and I also do not get the copious BC rain down the barrel channel....this is crucial on multiday backpack hunts.

So, would ir be possible to post a picture, drawing or schematic of this contour as I can certainly see the benefits involved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kutenay
� would it be possible to post a picture, drawing or schematic of this contour as I can certainly see the benefits involved.

The dimensions on a specification drawing would depend on the caliber of the barrel and the desired barrel length.

It's easy enough to draw one if you can't simply envision it. I can't do it for you right now � sorry.

Start with the usual diameter over the chamber, for the length of the chamber, then draw the muzzle diameter (vertical line) out at the barrel length that you want (out there where you want the muzzle to be. Add 0.240 inch to your bore diameter and round the sum up to the nearest 0.050 inch. For example � 0.308 + 0.240 = 0.548. Round it up to 0.550 inch).

Then connect the forward end of the chamber reinforce to the muzzle diameter with a straight line.

Voil�!

"Good enough" isn't.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tjm10025

First, let me say that I believe Melvin Forbes is a genius and he absolutely knows what he is doing.

Now, those who personally know Mr. Forbes might be able to tell me about the way he does his full-length bedding. (I know why he does it. I read about it on his web site.)

Is it hard to do it as well as he does it? Why don't more people do it? Is it because it's easy to screw it up if you don't do it well?

I'm actually happy with my free-floated barrels, but can't help but wonder why, since the full-length bedding works so well on NULA rifles, more people don't do it.

(Did I mention that I accept that Melvin Forbes absolutely knows what he's doing?)

'cuz free floating a quality barrel in a quality stock just works and it is rather easy to do. None of my rifles are full length bedded and they all shoot very well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I like the contour concept of the Howell contour

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.