Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
When I call to order a barrel, is there anything special I need to tell them?
I don't understand what shank length I need to order, is there a standard?
How far from the finish length do I want the flutes to stop?

If someone would guide me or tell me exactly what to order and dumb it down for me , thanks.

22"Brux .260

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the barrel going to be a different contour than what's on the rifle now or are you building something from scratch ?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you won't need to spec. shank length. it will be fixed and have enough meat so the 'smith can cut the chamber end off to get the shank (or cylinder length) you decide on.

the flutes on my only fluted barrel end 2" shy of the muzzle

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
is brux going to flute it?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I think I'm going to go with a custom action , probably stiller.

Brux is going to do the fluting. I would like to orderly stock and barrel ASAP.

Thanks

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
this is how I would order it
22 inches in length with a one inch shank length and 6flutes to stop one inch short of the muzzle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
once again, you do NOT need to spec. shank length on a barrel blank. the shank will be ~1" longer than the dimentions on the CONTOURS page. they do factory contours too...

getting twist and contour right is where you gotta be. a typical order will be something like this--SS #2, .264", 1-8" twist, fluted to finish @ 26".

and yes, i'm runnin' some Brux barrels

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
how would you know where to stop the flutes if you specified where you would want them to stop if you didn't specify a shank length to determine total length

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
look at the contour chart. do the math, and call 'em with your order.
the farther from the norm your order gets, the better the chance for a screw-up.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would just get the contour/cal/groove/twist you want. The Smith can fit the bbl, then mark it and send it to Karl to be fluted. This way the flutes are timed correctly when the bbl is torqued properly. Much easier approach and it doesn't cost that much extra.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I would just get the contour/cal/groove/twist you want. The Smith can fit the bbl, then mark it and send it to Karl to be fluted. This way the flutes are timed correctly when the bbl is torqued properly. Much easier approach and it doesn't cost that much extra.

Get your your bolt fluted and maybe even a campfire bolt knob put on at the same time! http://www.kampfeldcustom.com

Now make sure you ask exactly how to order your mcmillan stock paying close attention to shank length and recoil lug

Last edited by BurninDupont; 01/08/13.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Can you explain the recoil lug and shank length to me? I plan on ordering shortly. Spoke briefly with Rick yesterday.

I think im just going to buy a Stiller action for now until I undertand this game better.

PJ

N
N
I've had three custom barrels made. My Krieger has nine flutes and a muzzle brake. I drew a schematic, and they made it-- with the muzzle brake. Seemed to be no problem for them.

My Hart has six wide flutes. 27 or 28 inches long, I think. The gunsmith put the muzzle brake on. Hart said they couldn't do it. Makes me wonder why Krieger could. I drew a schematic for Hart, and they made the barrel with the 5.50-inch cylinder rear-end of it I wanted, the length and diameter of it I specified at various lengths from the butt, and they did an excellent job. It prints quarter-minute to half-minute groups with maddening regularity.

Having a Lilja made right now in a Remington #4 contour. It will have the length I want and I expect to see it in all its stainless glory around February 22. Will be chambered in a .358-caliber, long-action wildcat of my own design.

It's not hard to design a barrel. Just ask yourself "What do I want?" Consider the diameters that you can't change and those you can. Length is up to you. Longer costs more. Longer is heavier. Custom contours are easier to specify than a pre-turned contour. When you order a pre-turned, you never really know if it will fit your stock without having to have a gunsmith hog it out to make the barrel fit. That's time and money. Think, draw, then think some more...

History teaches us repeatedly that genocide always follows gun control.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go to the Brux website. Look at the Contour Chart page. Look at Sporter barrel contours. Measurement B (2.75") is the shank length for the Blank. Your gunsmith can shorten this length when he threads the barrel. Your finished Shank Length will INCLUDE the recoil lug and is measured from the face of the action. I like a 1" shank which includes a .25" recoil lug for my hunting rifles.

Perhaps you can tell us what exactly you want to build and for what purpose? You dont have to over think this thing. A stiller action, McMillan Classic Edge stock, #3 Rock barrel, jewell trigger and talley rings will weight less than 8LBs with scope. Just an example of a good combination.

Last edited by JBO69; 01/08/13.
N
N
Originally Posted by Birddogcatfish
Can you explain the recoil lug and shank length to me?
The "shank" is the length of the threaded portion that screws into the receiver mouth. It's usually an inch or in some custom actions, it may be 1.125 or as much as 1.5 inches. Makes for a more solid connection and some say it holds up the barrel better. Less "droop." Considering how stiff steel is, I don't see much droop in a barrel 24 to 28 inches long.

Recoil lugs are pretty much a standard size for M700 actions. There are several to be had in the Brownells. Your gunsmith can recommend one or he can inlet your stock for whatever you bring him. It's not a great obstacle to getting your stock to where you want it.

History teaches us repeatedly that genocide always follows gun control.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Barrel is ordered and done. I did a Brux #3 fluted 6.5.

Now I have to figure out to order a stock from up top. I can't get to the order screen for some reason.

P

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you won't be sorry. my most accurate rifle has a Brux barrel.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
How do you order a stock? went to the gear section and signed up, I can see where to put in specs etc? I click on Mcmillan box and nothing happens. Im computer dumb but I am missing something obvious somewhere.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
lemme go check it out...

looks like Rick has a server glitch right now. try emailing him at orders24hourcampfire.com

or using the link on the campfire gear shop page to get in touch with him.

you can also order direct from McMillan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.