Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JeffP40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just got a real surprise. I have some of their brass from 204 factory ammo. Upon the second firing or second sizing, I lost 20 of the hundred or so from neck splits. When I spoke to them, they said their factory ammo is not sold as reloading components. When I asked him if it is the same brass as used for components, he said yes, but it is not warrantied. Exactly the opposite as I thought would be the case. I told him it was the last time I would ever buy factory ammo from them. He was not fazed at all, and really could not have cared less. I am still very surprised.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"factory ammo is not sold as reloading components."

Makes sense to me..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't buy a whole lot of factory ammo, preferring to handload, but I have observed a clear visual difference in Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor brass in their loaded ammo (which is some of the factory ammo I DO buy and shoot) vs. their component brass. I realize you're dealing with the 204 Ruger; this is just an example I have experience with.

Specifically, the annealing is visually very different in terms of how far down the case body the color difference goes.

I do NOT believe for even a moment that the brass is a different material or quality between the two types, but again visually it's obviously been treated differently.

I've had no issues with either component or factory ammo brass from Hornady, so I guess I'm sorry about your luck. Were I in your place, I'd break out my 25-cent candle and anneal my brass after the first firing if I didn't want to buy component brass that was packaged as such.

J
JeffP40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm thinking it is annealed differently. Like you said, the color on the neck is very short. I'm still wondering why they would anneal differently for ammo or components. I can't imagine it is a cost thing to change something like that. I definitely learned something today.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We noticed that, too, over on .204Ruger.com, when the cartridge was new, that Hornady cases had a lot of neck splits. To my knowledge, no one bothered to call them about it, though. We just bought Winchester cases and moved on.
In my case, I lost about two cases per box, but the other 18 would, and are, still going strong.

Loaded some of those just yesterday, in fact. Stiff charge of H-322 and Nosler BTs in 32gr.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a bunch of hornady 204 once fired and have been using them for my 6mmx204 and have had no problems with them. Ididn't anneal them befor expanding and didn'tanneal them after and have at least a couple of loads on them. I am loading them with a bushing die so they don't get worked very much. Mine is a few years old and I hear that Win brass is getting brittle also

Last edited by erich; 01/02/13.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had same problem with Hornady brass for .204 Ruger

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
JeffP40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The guy I spoke to said the load, ie powder, bullet etc., could affect the brass. ?? Bunch of crap if you ask me. I will keep loading the good ones just to see how long they last.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to be a total jerk, but in the current environment, when all ammo manufacturers are back ordered and selling all the components they can ship and can't keep up with demand, honestly, what do you expect? If you don't buy any more of their products, there are at least 10 people lined up behind you waiting for the products to become available. Kind of changes the priority of customer service in the real world. Sad.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JeffP40
I just got a real surprise. I have some of their brass from 204 factory ammo. Upon the second firing or second sizing, I lost 20 of the hundred or so from neck splits. When I spoke to them, they said their factory ammo is not sold as reloading components. When I asked him if it is the same brass as used for components, he said yes, but it is not warrantied. Exactly the opposite as I thought would be the case. I told him it was the last time I would ever buy factory ammo from them. He was not fazed at all, and really could not have cared less. I am still very surprised.

It is sad to find out that Wall Street or Madison Avenue has invaded the ranks of the shooting industry to the point that you now have a bunch of "White Collared" businessmen that don't know, much less care, about the the goods they sell or produce. My son was guiding a couple of Benelli executives a few years ago and was excited to have them using his services. He asked them about Benelli's, Super Blackeagles specifically, and they didn't know one from a peanut butter sandwich. It is all dollars and cents, the days of the passionate gun guys in the manufacturing and sales of this stuff is almost a thing of the past...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Does not surprise me one bit. I've been blown off by Hornady a few times.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Had same problem with Hornady brass for .204 Ruger

Same here... I picked up a 100 rounds of it at the range..

had a lot of neck splits on the first batch of 25 I loaded..

I annealed the rest of them, and the neck splits quit...

however I picked up some Winchester 204 brass and it has been excellent.. I have a few batches of 10 that have been reloaded about 20 times so far...

I annealed all 204 brass before using tho, and then anneal again every 4th time... problems disappeared...

I have noticed expecially on 17 bore brass, that they seemed to be annealed before they leave the factory, unlike larger calibers... I conclude that the narrower the bore, the more likely there must be for the necks to split easily or the greater the need for annealing...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
JeffP40 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I don't quite understand how it is feasible to go thru two different annealing processes for ammo and components. Seems it would be cheaper and easier to just do it all the same and use it wherever. I'm definitely using Win. from now on.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Winchester can split, too. I have not had an issue with component brass, but I bought a box of 32-20 that split 3 out of a box of 50. That was the first firing...not reloads.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know there has been some back and forth on threads that had to do with prepping new brass...

but I have also had problems here and there with new brass, although I don't purchase much of it...only maybe for a new caliber I might be playing with...

I do think there is a major lack of QC anymore... they are more interested in getting numbers out the door... read that as accountants and bean counters running the show...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You have got it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer
Not to be a total jerk, but in the current environment, when all ammo manufacturers are back ordered and selling all the components they can ship and can't keep up with demand, honestly, what do you expect? If you don't buy any more of their products, there are at least 10 people lined up behind you waiting for the products to become available. Kind of changes the priority of customer service in the real world. Sad.

I understand what you are saying about market conditions TODAY. But like what happened in the last ammo/gun scare prices eventually stabilize even though that is usually at a higher price then before the rush.

One of our LGS will ride the price wave upwards to the sky and usually is at the head of the wave. After the last go around of panic buying I went back to Sportsmans Warehouse and complimented them on their pricing. They were out of inventory just as much as the LGS but when the inventory did come in it was not priced at those sky high prices. The store manager said that they priced their goods to retain their customers as they believed the run on guns and ammo would not be sustained.

Six months after the scare was over last time, that LGS was running sales trying to attract customers back and with the conversations I had with other guys none were going back.

Now many believe that this scare is going to be longer and deeper than the last one but many lads have memories of some of the pricing and customer service problems and will not return. Me included.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Higbean
Does not surprise me one bit. I've been blown off by Hornady a few times.

My experience with Hornady is exactly the opposite. They have always had top notch support when I have contacted them. The people they put in their booth at the SHOT show reflects that also.

Were you expecting free new brass? Brass will split from being worked. After it leaves the factory it is out of Hornady's control.

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Let's assume that the customer rep was telling the truth: that .204 factory ammo is not sold as reloading components.

That means they assume it will be thrown away after one firing. (All .30-30 ammo is assumed to be fire-and toss, btw) It therefore makes sense that they would not fully anneal such cases, and might relax some QC parameters as well. That keeps the cost of factory ammo as low as possible, to the benefit of that large percentage of shooters who do not reload.

Brass sold as components, however, would get added anneal, added inspections, and tighter QC control. That costs the maker more and therefore component brass costs us reloaders more.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure just what kind of response you expected from Hornady. The brass did what was expected of it from their standpoint and you had already shot it at least twice. What were your expectations? Granted most brass lasts longer than two or three firings but I've never seen anything guaranteeing longer life for the reloader.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.