-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, you can get a better MPBR, that's for sure!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used 100 grain TTSX's in my 260 Remington this past year on whitetail. I shot two deer, both of which dropped right there. Exit holes were impressive. No recoil to speak of and very accurate in my rifle.

Bob257
7mm fan!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's what makes this discussion interesting, IMHO - We are talking about "in the field" advantages of solids - heavy vs. light.

The light bullets' advantages shine in hunting situations lots more than in theory or long range paper punching.

More friendly recoil, better bullet performance, and flatter trajectory in hunting situations - which for most don't involve sniping from 800 yards.

Unless wind is dead calm and a setup on a shot is dead perfect, shots over 400 yards are plenty challenging in the field in hunting situations.

It's on shots under 400 yards, from field positions (where less recoil is more welcome), with bullets that actually hit flesh and need to perform well on animals, that light for caliber bullets like the TTSX's really shine.

243 running an 85 TSX at 80-90 Yards - through both shoulders. Old picture, but still relevant in this discussion.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Newer pics to show they still work...grin.

243 running an 80 TTSX 90-100 yards - through near shoulder & out behind off shoulder...Daughter was the shooter.

[Linked Image]

And the capper - 53 TSX through both shoulders at about 125 yards by the same young lady.

[Linked Image]

Light bullets that perform out of proportion to their weight and mild recoil make little girls (and their Daddy's) better shots in the field, and the critters don't go far if they go anywhere at all.

DJ

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cool pics DJ. How do those small 120 gr 7mm pills @ 3400 handle a stiff crosswind (7mag) compared to a 160 AB @ 3100?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The lightweights work great until past 350 or 400 yds or more depending on starting velocity. Somewhere past this point drift and trajectory start to lose out to the higher BC bullets.

I recovered more 120 7mms than any others from 140-175gr. But also shot more of the lightweights into game. Can't prove it but the light weights didn't always seem to track as consistently as heavier X's, especially if they lost petals. And they seem a little more prone to lose petals due to the higher velocity. A couple of times I would find a loose piece of copper but still the bullets almost always exited.

Their fun to shoot and deadly. Bigger game or expensive hunt and I would go up to heavier bullets. Ditto for when wind was a major factor like on the open prairies.

Thanks to Dogzapper I started using the 120 & 140 Nosler BT and am happy with them for light big game.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 what they said !

Every gun I own is loaded with Barnes and I have yet to find one.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have used both 120 TSX & 140 TSX in the 7mm Rem. Mag. on deer & hogs & like the deeper penetration of the 140 better, so I just use 120s in the 7-08 with great effect on a few hogs & a deer, so far.

In the .308 I've only used the 150 TSX on game & won't be changing any time soon. The 130s weren't nearly as accurate as the 150s in my long throated 700 Ti.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It's interesting, though, to run numbers on the "light fast mono" vs. a heavier regular bullet. It's natural to think about how "flat" the mono must be shooting- it's going so fast, right?- but in fact, they have such cruddy BC's that usually that's a bit of a red herring. Once you get out a little ways they aren't really much flatter, if any. Beyond a "little ways", you gotta compensate for drop anyway, so it becomes irrelevant. Plus the wind really moves them around. So, there's really just a small sweet spot where the extra flatness has much meaning. If any.

Not dissing them, just an observation.

You really need to set up your F2 key to spit out 'I don't have a [bleep] clue, but let me guess'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.460 BC on the 130 Hornady GMX sucks compared to the 130 Interbond at .460....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the TSXs during the rut especially. Mostly bucks are crossing small openings and not giving you much time for anything but putting crosshairs on the animal and squeezing. Most shots are under 400. A 300 WSM with 130s at about 3500fps is pretty darn flat under those parameters. Turn the CDS up to 2 MOA and pretend you have a laser beam, to a certain extent.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My experience with the TSX was with the .243 and 6mm in 85 grain guise. Strictly on whitetails. They worked.

Now the spot that I really feel the most comfortable shooting the 110 TTSX is in the .270 WSM. I run it out of a 26 inch barrel, and I can tell you that the deer we have hosed with that setup were immediately impressed. Mrs. Tide's rifle, but she reports some of the deer being knocked completely to the ground, and even those who get back up don't go far. The speed is at max velocity for that cartridge, but what I like about it is that I have no worries whether the deer walks out at 3 yards or 300. The deal is the same. Dead deer when I do my part.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
A 165 gr traditional bullet will lose 20%-50% of it's weight on impact and will in effect be a 100-130 gr bullet inside the animal. A 130 gr TTSX will still weigh 130 gr after impact and will leave the muzzle 400 fps faster from my 308.
makes sense!
I use the 130 ttsx in my 308.

I have yet to see a reason to switch, but I get a kick outta people that want to use 168 ttsx out of a 308 to kill deer

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's interesting, though, to run numbers on the "light fast mono" vs. a heavier regular bullet. It's natural to think about how "flat" the mono must be shooting- it's going so fast, right?- but in fact, they have such cruddy BC's that usually that's a bit of a red herring. Once you get out a little ways they aren't really much flatter, if any. Beyond a "little ways", you gotta compensate for drop anyway, so it becomes irrelevant. Plus the wind really moves them around. So, there's really just a small sweet spot where the extra flatness has much meaning. If any.

You really need to set up your F2 key to spit out 'I don't have a [bleep] clue, but let me guess'

Be that as it may, personally beyond 300, 350 I'm leaning on a turret or reticle. And even at 350, the difference in drop between:

120 TSX @ 3100 fps

140 NBT @ 2800 fps

Is less than a whopping three inches. More like TWO inches at 300 yards.

Don't make me drop a chart on yo' snarky ass. You know I'll do it! whistle

If you're talking effect on game light mono vs. heavier mono I'll defer to your knowledge.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm really appreciating where this thread is going. It's obvious that all of you have mulled over and/or taken action to find out. It's out around 350 that really piques my interests. Wind drift, impact velocities, and terminal performance of the lighter Mono's vs. heavier cup/core bullets like BT's or SST's. Thanks for all the interest guys. I'm definitely going the TTSX route for next season in at least a few rifles.

Thank God for Mississippi!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Especially concerning smaller calibers, I can imagine the cool factor involved in shooting deer at close range and having confidence that the bullet will perform as expected. Say a 22-250 running 3700 with a 50 gr TTSX. Awesome. Like a laserbeam.

Thank God for Mississippi!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Can't speak for 7mm or .30 cal but I have shot 6 deer, 2 oryx, 2 sheep, 1 200+lb hog and a few coyotes with 110TTXS out of a 270WSM and have been impressed by the performance on everything but the coyotes. I have yet to have an animal stop one of these bullets. I switched to the 110TTXS after using the 130TXS for a few years and in my opinion the 110TTXS penetrated just as well on deer size game but it seems to expand quicker giving a bigger wound channel than the 130TXS. I would say the wound channel of the 110TTXS is more comparable to a 140Accubond than a that of the 130TXS except that the 110TTXS has always given me an exit wound and the 140Accubands seldom exited deer sized game for me.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The .257 wby and 100 TTSX @~3500 or so flat out mollywhops things. Schit dies quick. Ive killed things from bobcats/fox to javelina, elk, deer, babboons, Nyala, Coues deer etc from 15-600 yards. All results have been the same. Schit falls over dead. Flat out impressed.

Speed+ Polymer tipped hunks of copper = (quickly) Dead critters

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Be that as it may, personally beyond 300, 350 I'm leaning on a turret or reticle. And even at 350, the difference in drop between:

120 TSX @ 3100 fps

140 NBT @ 2800 fps

Is less than a whopping three inches. More like TWO inches at 300 yards.

Don't make me drop a chart on yo' snarky ass. You know I'll do it! whistle

If you're talking effect on game light mono vs. heavier mono I'll defer to your knowledge.

Given the two bullets you mention at the velocities you list, the 120 gr. TTSX shoots flatter to over 1000 yds. which is as far as my handy dandy iphone ballistic app goes, so by all means drop a chart on us because if you'd run the numbers you'd know that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Everything looks great at 300 yards.

I didn't look at Barnes stuff for the 120 TTSX,but did for the 120BT at 3100...Crowhunter is right....the 120BT at 3100 outruns the 140 BT at 2800 in both trajectory, and speed to 600 yards(assuming a 200 yard zero for both).

So where is this dramatic "bleeding of speed" we hear about?

Wind I didn't do...but I bet there isn't any more difference to 600 yards for wind than Jeff says is immaterial for drop? And given that I am told on here that reading wind is more "art" than science,and we don't twist for it,we "judge it" and hold off.....(a nice, PC euphimism for "guessing" smile it looks like the advantage lies with the faster slug.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that one would "kill" better or more dramatically than the other.....but since lighter than normal bullets at higher velocity, that don't lose very much weight ain't exactly "new"...and I've been using them for 30+ years....I can say they work very well...maybe not to 1000 yards...but to 500 yards and under, where the vast majority of BG animals are taken.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,213
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.