Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
wow, I can't believe some of the things being said. maybe I should check the company I keep. the strength and super power status of this country owes its existence to lincoln's determination to keep the country together. you want to know what makes us different than all the little broke dickk countries in europe?? its because this country stayed together and did not split in 2 or more pieces. look what happened to greece or france or belgium during WW2 they were too dinky to defend themselves, it was overun by tryrants. that is why I oppose at this time the succession movement. lincoln was a man of foresight and this country should thank him.
Lincoln and his henchmen disregarded the Constitution and the states that preferred the old way of government seceded. He instigated a war against that country and forced it back into the "union". Lincoln was a tyrant, criminal and a murderer.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
wow, I can't believe some of the things being said. maybe I should check the company I keep. the strength and super power status of this country owes its existence to lincoln's determination to keep the country together. you want to know what makes us different than all the little broke dickk countries in europe?? its because this country stayed together and did not split in 2 or more pieces. look what happened to greece or france or belgium during WW2 they were too dinky to defend themselves, it was overun by tryrants. that is why I oppose at this time the succession movement. lincoln was a man of foresight and this country should thank him.
Lincoln and his henchmen disregarded the Constitution and the states that preferred the old way of government seceded. He instigated a war against that country and forced it back into the "union". Lincoln was a tyrant, criminal and a murderer.

didn't the south fire on first sumter?? and I suppose black should still be slaves?? I am a texan myself. you have got to get a grip

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

didn't the south fire on first sumter?? and I suppose black should still be slaves?? I am a texan myself. you have got to get a grip

They were merely serving a lawful eviction notice to vacate CSA property.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Get a grip? lol You must be talking to yourself. You're the one who sounds all worked up about it. I'm merely stating facts.

Certainly the South fired on Fort Sumter, after Jefferson Davis and others journeyed north and practically begged Lincoln to let the Southern states go peacefully. Sumter was in Southern Territory and no sovereign nation will allow a foreign military presence in their territory without authorization. Lincoln had ships steaming south to re-supply Sumter and also had troops ready to go to reinforce the Fort. He played a game with the South and forced them to fire. The President of the Confederacy did not desire to go to war and more than likely a peaceful reconciliation would have occurred had Lincoln and his handlers allowed a peaceful separation.

You really think that the big boys of the north who treated the Irish and other underclasses like dirt, including the post-war negroes, cared a bit about slavery? Slavery was a pretext to get deluded do-gooders in the North behind the war.

Actually reading some history as opposed to watching a couple of episodes about the war on the History channel can really make all the difference.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Booth killed a Republican. If he was not a murderer, then he was a democrat.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

...and I suppose black should still be slaves?? I am a texan myself.
If you're a Texan, why does your location say "Utah"? Are you as mixed up about geography as you are about the war?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Plinker
I don't have the time nor the inclination to educate everybody here, but it goes something like this...The Republican Party were the radicals at the time of the War Between the States. They were a new Party and the equivalent of the Liberals of today. There were several other viable parties of the time period. I believe I posted a link to 1860's election which can explain it better than I can. Basically the Democrats were the good guys. They were the Conservatives who wanted to follow the Constitution. The liberals wanted to trash it, and did. Somehow the sides got switched. Up until somewhat before the 1968 GCA most in the South were still Democrats and were the most conservative people in the Nation.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Amen. Lincoln was a tyrant and died a tyrant's death...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
ever notice how these threads always divide us along the same lines, time after time, after time?

How about a few choruses of The Bonnie Blue Flag? laugh

Here ya go Sir.

Bonnie Blue Flag

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
gunner500,

I'm still on the fence with Lincoln. I do think he's greatly overrated. However, since history must be analyzed in era and context, he might have not considered options to our nation's bloodiest war. Therefore, he might have been lead on to an avoidable path. Moreover, he was elected with a plurality of 36%, so he had to placate his tenuous political base in order to garner support for abolition.

Let's assume that the South had seceded and became a sovereign nation. How long would it have lasted? Because of slavery, it had alienated itself from most of Europe. Since it was an agrarian economy, it's primary source of revenue was export of cotton. If it had no buyers for its crop, then what?

The North, on the other hand, was every bit as racist as the south. In fact, it was Northern racism that instigated abolition of slavery. During the abysmal economic environment preceding the Civil War, poor whites were indignant because they had to compete with slave labor for jobs. Were slavery abolished, it was believed, plantation owners would've hired whites if their field hands had to be paid. Hence, racist Northerners wanted to force blacks off plantations and to compete with whites on equal footing.

While slaves were in deed slaves, they were far better off than many poor northern whites who were free, unemployed, poor, and hungry. Slaves were a substantial investment for plantation owners. It actually was very rare for plantation owners to mistreat them because were they injured they would've been unable to work. In one instance a slave escaped to the destitute north, found no work, and returned to his plantation and slave status. Three meals and a cot was much better than he could find in the North.

So if the South had successfully seceded without bloodshed, how long could it have survived as an independent & sovereign nation? The North, on the other hand was proceeding with America's fledgling Industrial Revolution. It's commerce was moving away from cottage industries to machine manufactured products. Since it wasn't burdened by slavery, it did have European trading partners. So without war, would the North's industrialization brought it revenue while the South languished in poverty because it was unable to engage in international commerce because other countries refused to trade with it due to slavery?

Had Lincoln forgone war, I believe that the union would have been reunited much sooner than later. It would have saved about 1.5 million lives. It would have been able to divert resources to its fledgling industrialization thereby creating more desperately needed jobs. And as a condition of reuniting, abolition would have assuredly been required.

As far as Booth, while he might have deluded himself into thinking that his murdering Lincoln would have resulted in some nebulous benefit for the South, that was not the case. During warfare, leaders are legitimate targets. However, when Booth murdered Lincoln, the war was over. So I would have to conclude Booth was a murderer. Lincoln's murder did result in Southerner Andrew Johnson ascension to the presidency, but he served only the remainder of Lincoln's second term during which Reconstruction proceeded under Union Army supervision. In essence, Johnson as a Southerner did nothing to ameliorate the South's Reconstruction.

I do know that the Civil War was not fought over egalitarian ideals of ending the scourge of slavery. Like nearly all wars, it was fought over economic advantage.

Take care,

Tom

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
BTW, had Lincoln been spared a murderer's bullet, he might not have had long to live. Its believed that he was suffering from a fatal disease that would have taken his life before he finished his second term.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Booth was a Confederate Secret Service agent. Whether he was under orders to assasinate Lincoln or not is unknown to my knowledge. His original mission was to kidnap Lincoln and that proved to be impractical. What many do not seem to realize that Lincoln himself ordered the assasination of Confederate president Jefferson F. Davis and all Confederate cabinet members and members of the Confederate congress in 1864. Writen orders were found on the body of Col. Dahlgren verifying this. There were to be no prisoners taken. This is known as the Dahlgren Affair as it was led by U.S. Army Col. Ulrich Dahlgren as they tried to infiltrate into Rihmond. Would the South had fared better if Lincoln had not been assasinated? I think probably so

. Was the assasination justified considering Lincoln's attempt to assasinate Davis and the Confederate government officials? YES. BTW -- a good friend of mine has done years of research on this subject and has uncovered compelling evidence that some of Lincoln's administration may very well have had some involement with this as well.
Either way, Lincoln was killed and the South would have doubtlessly been better off if he had not been.

While I agree that the South would have faired better had Lincoln lived, the rest of what you say is Internet Bull Hockey. If your "friend" has done all of this "research", where is the paper and the documentation? Where are the fellow scholars who have reviewed his "research" and agreed or disagreed?

If you Southern apologists don't believe secession was about slavery, how do you justify Stephen's "Cornerstone Speech"?

So, you are calling me a liar? "Internet Bull Hockey" you say? Well Captain Ignorant, I did not get my information from the internet. The Dahlgreen Affair is well documented. Just because you have not heard of it does not mean it did not happen. If you care to do some research, either on the internet or possibly some historical refernce books not designed for third graders you possibly could find it for yourself. The Confederate govenment actually made photographs of the documents and a set of those photographs and the original document are at the U.S. National Archives at Washington. I also recall seeing a television documentary about the Dahlgren Affair and an investigation to determine if the documents found on the body of Col. Dahlgren were in fact real or faked. They were determined by computer analysis to have been real. As to my "friend" whom you seem to imply that I made up, I have encouraged him to publish his research on the Lincoln Assasination and most particularly his research concerning Booth. He has given several presentations to historical research groups on this and other related subjects and does in fact quote his sources. He is very much in demand as a speaker. There is a program on either the History Channel or Discovery Channel called Brad Metzger's something or another where they do historical research on various subjects. Metzger did a program about Booth and uncovered several of the same facts as my friend Eric did several years before. I guess you will claim that both of them were lying? By the way my imaginary "friend" is Eric Sandifer of Baytown, Texas. If you would like, I will get his mailing address and telephone number for you. His passion is history and he is constantly doing research. I have many pages of copies of Eric's presentations on this subject and if you still insist on implying that I am a damned liar, give me your mailing address and I will copy them and mail it to you. I'm not appologizing for a damned thing. I'm just stating documented facts of historical events and expressed my opinion that I think that it would have been better if Lincoln had not been assasinated. I did not say a damned thing about slavery in my post. If you were capable of reading comprehension, maybe you would have realized that.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My friend, you have to realize where a lot of folks are at on this issue. They have been indoctrinated by years, on purpose, by Yankee propaganda. A hated poster on these forums is a college prof and he calls historical research such as you speak of, "Revisionist History", as if it were some made-up thing that the Yankees themselves love to put forth.

I'd heard of the "Dahlgreen Affair" but knew naught of what it actually consisted of. I thank you ever so much for educating me on it. President Davis was a great, great man, vilified whereas the real villain, Lincoln, was uplifted as a Patriot and martyr. I have tried to educate some on here as to Davis' accomplishments, but it is tough sledding. Folks are near brainwashed on this subject.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Plinker
I don't have the time nor the inclination to educate everybody here, but it goes something like this...The Republican Party were the radicals at the time of the War Between the States. They were a new Party and the equivalent of the Liberals of today. There were several other viable parties of the time period. I believe I posted a link to 1860's election which can explain it better than I can. Basically the Democrats were the good guys. They were the Conservatives who wanted to follow the Constitution. The liberals wanted to trash it, and did. Somehow the sides got switched. Up until somewhat before the 1968 GCA most in the South were still Democrats and were the most conservative people in the Nation.

You keep repeating that old lie and maybe someone will start believing it. Those "Good guy" Democrats of which you speak founded the KKK. So, you are wrong. Even in the 60's, Democrats opposed Civil Rights. Republicans, and Christians, have always opposed slavery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Murderer who caused reconstruction....and destroted the South.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Swampman700

It was the Union Army that invaded and destroyed the South.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by Swampman700

It was the Union Army that invaded and destroyed the South.
Swampy don't worry about the actual history, he just likes the hats.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Henry,

I am not sure of the alleged Dahlgren Affair. But it's a non-issue. During war, assassination of political leaders is legitimate. However, after warfare, any such assassination would be murder. Therefore, post-war, the murder of Lincoln was not justified. Booth committed premeditated, first degree murder.

At the time Booth murdered Lincoln, he could not have been a Confederate secret service agent because the Confederacy no longer existed. The South had lost the war. It no longer existed. Hence, the Confederacy had no government; therefore, it had no governmental entities; e.g., secret service.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Laguna,

If I'm not mistaken only Lee and the ANV had surrendered, there were still Confederate armies under arms in the field.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
LBP,

When Lee surrendered at Appomattox, the Confederate Army was in full retreat. In fact, the war, for all intents and purposes, was over after Sherman's late 1864 March to the Sea. Lee's Appomattox surrender is considered the official end of the war. While there were assuredly insurgents who refused to abide by the terms and conditions of Lee's surrender -occurs in all wars- the Confederate government ceased to exist at Appomattox. Jefferson Davis was captured a month later. He could have been tried for treason & hanged, but wasn't.

Last edited by Laguna; 01/10/13.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (1OntarioJim, 7887mm08, 257 roberts, 320090T, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 15 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,137
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.