Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by 5sdad
nsaqam - thanks for the suggestion. My problems always seem to revolve around these things: knowing whether or not I have the rifle square with the world, if I do believe that I have it square with the world finding out that when I shoulder it comfortably, it is no longer square with the world, and tightening Weaver rings. (That probably just indicates how hopeless I am.)

It doesn't really need to be square with the world, only square with you when you shoulder it.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ndhill1976
Originally Posted by 5sdad
nsaqam - thanks for the suggestion. My problems always seem to revolve around these things: knowing whether or not I have the rifle square with the world, if I do believe that I have it square with the world finding out that when I shoulder it comfortably, it is no longer square with the world, and tightening Weaver rings. (That probably just indicates how hopeless I am.)

It doesn't really need to be square with the world, only square with you when you shoulder it.

Which makes the whole business of locking it up tight in a vise moot, right? And - how does one go about leveling it while holding the rifle? (And then there is the whole matter of the Weaver rings.) Not meaning to be flippant, really trying to get a handle on this - thanks for your comment.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ideally you want it square to the rifle, with the bottom of the vertical crosshair pointing at the center of the rifle bore. Then when shooting, you want the horizontal crosshair level. Otherwise when you sight in you'll be introducing a horizontal correction that will produce windage error at other distances.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The laser boresighter is great for getting solid info on a rifle/scope indoors and quickly. It can be used for gross adjustments. Folks come over to my house fairly regularly with rifles in tow wondering what to do next, and the boresighter appears soon after.

They can also be used with airsoft gadgets. The tough part about sighting through the bore is keeping the rifle immobile. A cheap laser boresighter will give good intel from anywhere in any lighting. For example, upon arrival at hunting camp after dark when it won't be possible to look down the bore or shoot confirmation rounds. It wasn't intended to take a rifle from out-of-box to hunt ready without fine tuning.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (160user, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 1badf350, 75 invisible), 3,145 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.