Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was talking to a friend in NYC who�s a reserve officer, and the subject of approved guns came up. Here�s the list he gave me:

On Duty:
Glock 19
Sig 226 DAO
S&W 5946 DAO

Off Duty:
Glock 26
S&W 3914 DAO
Sig 239 DAO

When I asked what he carried on duty, he said he carried a Chief�s Special. Said officers who had been trained on revolvers prior to 2002 were allowed to continue carrying their revolvers both on duty or off duty (S&W Model 10,64, 36). At first I really didn�t like the list of off duty guns, because you don�t even have the option of what I call a true �pocket gun�. But then I got to thinking� I mostly only carry a BUG when I�m going in and out of places where I can/can�t carry. Other than that, I carry my primary pistol. Since that�s really not an issue for a cop, I think I�d most likely choose a G19 as my primary, and G26 as my �off duty� and carry my duty gun both on & off 99% of the time.

He told me the vast majority of people carry the Glock. Some like the S&W because it fits their hand better, and he said the Sig is becoming more and more popular, but still not a ton of them out there.

He said technically you can carry anything you want off duty, but it you do any �law enforcement activity� while off duty, and you use a non-approved firearm, you�re not indemnified by the department. If someone was going to give me indemnity, I�d carry just about any damn thing they wanted me to carry.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Back when I used to train at a Jiu-Jitsu dojo where the student population was predominantly police officers from Long Island (many of whom were NYC cops) the most common handgun carried to the dojo was the Smith & Wesson J-Frame .38 Special (stored in lockers while on the mat). This was from the mid to late 1970s through the mid to late 1980s.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It's readily apparent that NYPD NEEDS a new boss running it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What do you mean? Tom Selleck rocks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rufous
What do you mean? Tom Selleck rocks!

Sure as schitt be better than what they've got.

MM

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Laguna

This.

Don't forget Glocks have to have New York plus triggers.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by Laguna

This.

Don't forget Glocks have to have New York plus triggers.

Dink

Yeah, but I don�t think they�re all that bad. Yeah they�re stiff, but they�re consistent and IMO still better than most DA revolvers. Just takes a little practice and you�re good to go.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The green NY1 with a lighter connector is THE carry setup. Ask TLee.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Don't forget Glocks have to have New York plus triggers."

Which is the NY2 trigger. Kevin... have you tried that trigger? I've used the NY1 and have no problem with it. Never tried the NY2, but have heard that it was overboard.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could you guys explain what an NY1 or NY2 trigger is? I've heard the terms but am not familiar with exactly what they mean.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"Don't forget Glocks have to have New York plus triggers."

Which is the NY2 trigger. Kevin... have you tried that trigger? I've used the NY1 and have no problem with it. Never tried the NY2, but have heard that it was overboard.

Jerry

I think the only difference between the NY1 & NY2 is the stiffness of the plastic doo-hicky (technical term); I think they actually have the same spring. Glock claims the spring weight is the same, but the NY2 is a little stiffer�nor horribly stiffer, but you certainly notice it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Could you guys explain what an NY1 or NY2 trigger is? I've heard the terms but am not familiar with exactly what they mean.

NYPD required a heavier DAO type trigger action on the Glock. They don�t want light trigger pulls for their pistols, so Glock came up with a solution to make the trigger pull stiffer. There are two �NY Triggers� the green one (NY-1) and the orange one (NY-2). Here�s what the actual part looks like: http://eu.glock.com/english/options_triggerspring.htm

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What kind of training do they get ? Last I heard the new cops got only one range session before hitting the street. And only one range session per year there after. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It sounds like NYPD doesn't have confidence with their training.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What kind of training do they get ? Last I heard the new cops got only one range session before hitting the street. And only one range session per year there after. E

I don't think this would satisfy New York's POST minimum standards of training. And I don't think that this would make NY City's office of risk management happy.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus

These days, I don�t know.

What I do know is John Farnam redesigned their handgun training program in the late �80�s and they had a stellar record in gunfights for the next 3 years. But that was over 20 years ago, and I have no clue what they do today. I�m sure it�s pretty good for new officers, but the big questions is continuing training; that�s seems to always be the weakness.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The green NY1 with a lighter connector is THE carry setup. Ask TLee.

Yes it is, feels like a nice DA revolver.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've never heard that their average street cops did very well in shootings. Their special unit guys however have. Most of those guys are hunters and shooters. E

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I can tell you there are many many agencies that put annual training on the backburner. Sure they may get in the minimum "qualifications" but putting the minimum amount of holes in a piece of paper with times measured on a sundial is not training.

I know of an agency with over 100 officers that did not shoot shotgun for almost two years (at all) and it was over a year and a half before any pistol rounds went down range.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Varmintsinc: I worked on a major west coast cities Police Department for 29 years and we qualified three times a year there at the end of my career.
Most of that time 4 qualifications were needed per year and for much of that time I (and everyone else) had to turn in a "target" fired into with our service arm to my supervisor every month.
Shotgun qualification was done 3 times a year as well there at the end of my tenure.
During our 90 day Police Academy we fired our revolvers every day and shotguns once a week and machineguns ONCE during the academy.
At the end of my career we were firing 60 rounds of factory full bore 40 S&W ammo through our Glock 22's at every qualification and we could sign out one 50 round box of 40 S&W ammo every month to practice on our own with!
Thats a lot of ammunition for what was then a 1,100 officer department!
Indeed the cities ammunition bill was a large one.
I have been retired for 16 years and am not sure what the current curriculum and qualification rates are but firing for training only ONCE during a police academy curriculum is not believeable to me.
I think the arms on the NYPD list are all pretty good choices for personal protection and urban gunplay.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,150
Posts18,484,227
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.