Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gt50
No gun registration, just a course to educate gun owners on proper carry, firearms safety, shooting technique, etc. Courses could be provided by legitimate organization like the NRA. Something similar to a hunters safety course.

Let me clarify, I'm not saying I support, it's just been floated out there by people.

NO

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by whelennut

There is a reason they call it BASIC.
whelenut

I am a NRA certified firearms instructor. I also went to basic training in the USMC with a PMI. Military basic training and qualifying out to 500 meters may be advanced training somewhere else.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mandatory??? NO. But if there would be some advantage for those who would take a "firearms training course", I would support the effort. What I mean, as far as an "advantage", is - with my CCW in my state, I can present that ID and not have to wait for the NICS check, they do not even have to call NICS. I still have to fill out the currently required paperwork, but no additional wait. Also, about 15 years ago, the state I was living in had something they called a "permit to purchase" which allowed the county sheriffs to, basically, do a preliminary background check and "pre-qualify" your ability to purchase a firearm, actually quite similar to my current CCW permit, but did not allow me to carry concealed.

Actually, I feel everybody should take some sort of firearms safety course, whether it be a hunter's safety course, an NRA course or whatever else might be available. I have been quizzed by my bride about having some kind of training available for those who are wondering about getting a firearm (mostly widowed, divorced or older single women), but want to know more about maintenance, operation and suitable arms for their needs . . . She has been approached by some friends at various social venues posing such questions . . . I think it is a good idea and will be bringing the possibility of what, if any, "training" sessions our gun club might be able to make available for folks such as them.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
NO - I and most here have probably already been thru the states Mandatory Hunters Saftey Education Course!! thats enough, it was all about gun safety etc..

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Am I they only Old Fart on here that remembers a similiar discussion about sex-education in the schools?

Whatever happened with that?

Mandatory training is coming--registration is coming--confiscation is coming.

My only concern is the timeline.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gt50
No gun registration, just a course to educate gun owners on proper carry, firearms safety, shooting technique, etc. Courses could be provided by legitimate organization like the NRA. Something similar to a hunters safety course.

Let me clarify, I'm not saying I support, it's just been floated out there by people.

I'd support mandatory training of public servants in the Constitution and Bill of Rights before they can take office.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Am I they only Old Fart on here that remembers a similiar discussion about sex-education in the schools?

Whatever happened with that?

Mandatory training is coming--registration is coming--confiscation is coming.

My only concern is the timeline.

Defeatist HOGWASH.

Keep that chit West of the Sierras.

Thanks

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by greydog

In Canada, the National Firearms Association actually went so far as to advocate for a training/testing program which they would administer. They lost my support the day they did that and will never get it back.
No gun control, licensing, registration, restrictions, or background checking are ever going to have any real effect on crime and certainly not on mass murders.

Training and testing are two different things, I don't support testing because that implies your defense rights exist at the testing authority's discretion and as such aren't rights at all. I would have told the NFA to GFY just like you did.

I'm disgusted by idiot liberals who have never even held a gun reciting Hollywood myth as fact and voting to match. I'm disgusted by Fudds sweeping me at the gun store. I'm disgusted by the daily news stories of negligent shootings that the most cursory attention to the 4 rules would have prevented. Training is a good thing and it can be separated from the context of gun grabbing.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
NO!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was trained by my dad and granddad growing up,

but I had mandatory firearm training by the Federal Government back in 1977....

it was called US Army Basic Training...

there you go, mandatory 2 years of military service for every able bodied person ought to take care of the training. smile Those who aren't able bodied get a service dog that bites.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Double hell, NO! Is that clear enough?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
What kinda fuggin' idiot would support anything the government comes up with?

I support the [bleep] in government gettin' a *real* job and stop living off of me and trying to dictate to me how I should live.

That's it.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't expect a government [bleep] to push that legislation through Congress, however.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I ain't much for attending big gatherings,...but if somebody decided to fire up the guillotine at the reflecting pool of the Washington Monument, I'll buy a ticket.

,...hell yeah.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by brinky72
Originally Posted by Seafire
I was trained by my dad and granddad growing up,

but I had mandatory firearm training by the Federal Government back in 1977....

it was called US Army Basic Training...

there you go, mandatory 2 years of military service for every able bodied person ought to take care of the training. .

Yeah,...that's the ticket.

Give Obama 2 years of your life to train you in what he wants you to do.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Blows my damn mind, man,...no chit.

The government is where it is today, and people who consider themselves conservatives are advocating 2 years of indentured servitude to it.

If there ain't a pill for that kind of thinking, somebody could get rich by makin' one.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mandatory firearms training for gun owners,absolutely not! But i would absolutely be for firearms training as part of the curriculum in every high school in this US.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No concept of sarcasm and can't get your thoughts collected well enough to make one reply. Perhaps setting down the bottle for a wee bit and not taking things including yourself so seriously would help.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
michigan,...

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 6mmbrfan, 9 invisible), 996 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,123
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.