Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by McInnis
Groups look like either a scope or a bedding type issue.

Is it your experience that a rifle with a scope or bedding issue will shoot good groups at 100 yards?

Really?

I was referring to the reason behind the horizontal stringing...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
Originally Posted by ldholton
lets see about a 2" group at a 100 and about a 5" group at 200 is about on par for one anouther I would be working on cutting the 100 group down before i worried about the 200

Shot on the left at 125 yard was a called flier. None the less, why the extreme drop, about 7" and a 6" spread, at 200?

BP...
well than I don't call 2 shots a group ! Is this kinda groupings at both ranges consistant? is the lower group right of POI as much as it appears ? I know this will go over great for some but an old 99 ain't exatly a precision rifle how good are you looking for ? and is the 2810 chrono speed or listed ? just tring to give you more thoughts.

The above target shows the the 2nd shooting of this load. Shots were run over a chrony both times.

BP...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mako25
Some of the 99's I've shot benefit from putting a bushing/spacer right over the screw that attaches the forend to the barrel (kind of a free float).

Not so much on takedowns, but the solid frame rifles at times have been squirrley. Once the spacer is in place, the stock still moves a bit, but isn't contacting the barrel.

Worth a try, it's easy, and cheap.

I heard you on that. I have an O-ring under the forearm.

BP...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by carbon12
[quote=boilerpig1]

Pre-mil 308 Savage 99 shoots a nice group @ 125 yards (top group).

At 200 yards it turns to crap (bottom group).

Loads are 150 grn. ballistic tips running at 2810 fps. Ballistics shows a 2" drop @200 but I'm getting quite a bit more. Any ideas? [quote=boilerpig1]

Was this result repeatable? It may be fruitful to establish that the first observation is not an odd example of one.

I would suggest repeat shooting the two groups at the two distances again, twice. Once with the original scope and mounts and again with iron sights. If the 5" drop at 200 yds is repeatable with the scope and not repeatable with the iron sights, the problem is probably the height of the scope over the bore.

If I could see a target at 200 yards and hit it with iron sights I wouldn't need to have all these high dollar scopes. To many birthdays I guess. grin

BP...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had my best luck with rebedding 99 forends by checking to see if the rear end of the forend is binding on the front of the action. In a surprising number of rifles there's considerable pressure there, and if it's on one side in particular it can cause horizontal stringing. I just relieve any pressure with a fine file rather than epoxy-bed. This essentially free-floats the barrel AND forend.

I've owned a bunch of 99's and generally expect scoped pre-million serial numbers to group 3 shots in around an inch at 100, and some have done much better.

I'd also roll your ammo over a piece of glass. If you can see the tip of the bullet "wobble" then the bullet is seated pretty crooked, enough to cause definite fliers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Forgot to add: The tables in the back of the Nosler manual say the 150 BT @ 2800 should be 3.6" down at 200 if the rifle's zeroed at 100. Your load is dropping twice that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=boilerpig1]

Loads are 150 grn. ballistic tips running at 2810 fps. Ballistics shows a 2" drop @200 but I'm getting quite a bit more. Any ideas? [quote=boilerpig1]

Was this result repeatable? It may be fruitful to establish that the first observation is not an odd example of one.

I would suggest repeat shooting the two groups at the two distances again, twice. Once with the original scope and mounts and again with iron sights. If the 5" drop at 200 yds is repeatable with the scope and not repeatable with the iron sights, the problem is probably the height of the scope over the bore.

If I could see a target at 200 yards and hit it with iron sights I wouldn't need to have all these high dollar scopes. To many birthdays I guess. grin

BP...

boilerpig,

Your post is interesting and all, but what I'd really like is to see the obverse side of your avatar. You wouldn't, by chance, have that to share with us, would you?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[quote=boilerpig1]

BP...

I hear you regarding too many birthdays. I've got a pretty good collection going on myself, right along with age related failing eyesight.

When you get your 99 sorted out, please make a post as to what the problem was. I am interested as to the cause.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You betcha. Thanks all for the ideas.

BP...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Another thing I've noticed with my 99s, is they seem to like the forearm support to be as far rearward as possible, damn near under the action. My EG model 99s seem to be more fussy than other models. If it doesn't help, it didn't cost you nothing to try.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also remember that a scope's reticle subtends twice as much area at 200 yards as at 100, making precise aiming more difficult. Scope parallax may also figure into the equation as well. Personally, compared to the group at 125 yards, that 200 yard group doesn't look all that awry. Maybe you could do a little impromptu test of the parallax by fixing the rifle in the rest and moving your eye side to side in the eyebox to get an idea of how parallax might be affecting you at both ranges.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just skimmed through the replies and didn't notice anyone mention that your bullets may be unstable. If so, they get progressively worse as they go down range. At 100 yds, they hit nearly point on, and given a descent group but as they continue downrange, they become increasingly "wobbly" (technical term), which destroys accuracy.

It also really increases drag so the bullet begins to slow much faster and thus, the bullet has a longer time to drop. Thus the much lower average POI. That seems to be the case in the photo you have shown but it's hard to be sure.

I would suggest a substantially shorter bullet - but check your rifle's crown first. Might be other causal mechanisms too, but those are two easy ones to try.

The too symptoms taken together add up to a ballistic problem. I would further guess that if you shot at clean cardboard (or better clean foam board) you would find the 200 yds holes are larger, more oblong than the 100 yds holes are. That would be the third symptom to look for.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brent,

The reason I didn't mention bullet instability as a possible cause was that the standard twist in the .300 Savage is 1-10, which is far more than needed to stabilize a 150-grain Ballistic Tip. Sierra twist calculator suggests a 1-14 twist is sufficient, and the Miller Formula (the best I've encountered) says that a 1-10 will provide a stability factor of over 2, and 1.4 is considered plenty.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
MD, I do agree that it seems improbable given a standard barrel but perhaps it is a replacement barrel. There are other ways to get bullets to be unstable but they take some effort to make happen. Loading exceedingly cock-eyed cartridges, a poorly throated/chambered barrel, damaging bullets when seating/crimping, etc. might do it. My suggestion to look at the crown is another. MD, you can probably come up with 20 other ways to get a bullet flying cattywumpus as well.

The symptoms you describe are a dead ringer for the problems we so often in BPCR and esp. BPTR where we are always pushing the bullet weight to the limits over excessively long range. Faster twist barrels, shorter bullets, and sometimes more velocity (if possible) generally fixes the problem. But whether this is likely with your M99, I don't know.

I'd sure like to see some close ups of the bullet holes in the cardboard from the 100 and 200 yds targets. If they are less round at 200 yds, then bullet stability IS the problem. Finding the cause of the problem may, however, be problematic.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD

I'd sure like to see some close ups of the bullet holes in the cardboard from the 100 and 200 yds targets. If they are less round at 200 yds, then bullet stability IS the problem. Finding the cause of the problem may, however, be problematic.

If I'm able to make it to the ranch this weekend I'll get you some pictures of the backboard. But I seem to remember, they were round. I saw no signs of tumbling.

BP...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you can shoot new ones - do it on fresh cardboard, preferable with something firm behind it. Look close.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brent,

Wiht spitzer bullets in smokeless centerfires, bullet stability actually increases with distance.

Bullet instability occurs for two reasons:

1) Air pressure on the front end of the bullet overcomes the center of mass toward the rear of the bullet.

2) The bullet enters the transonic zone between about 1100-1300 fps, which introduces weird forces.

With spitzer bullets fired from smokeless cartridges, bullet stability actually increases until velocity drops enough for the bullet to enter the transonic zone. This is because air pressure on the sharp front end decreases rapidly (with velocity) but spin slows down at a much slower rate.

A .30 caliber 150-grain Ballistic Tip is not only not nearly long enough to be marginally stabilized in a 1-10 twist, but when started at 2800 fps it won't be anywhere near the transonic zone until close to 1000 yards. And even if the barrel is a replacement, I sincerely doubt it would have a 1-14 twist, since they're almost unknown in .30 caliber centerfires--and 1-14 would still be plenty to stabilize the 150 BT.

I copied the photo of the target and blew it up and three of the four bullet holes at 200 yards are perfectly round. The other hole shows a slight opening on the right side that looks like an irregular tear in the cardboard, rather than an oblong shape to the hole.

Yeah, there are reasons other than twist for bullets to be unstable as they leave the muzzle, but if a 150-grain Ballistic Tip from a .300 Savage is stable at 100 yards it will be stable at 200. The same applies to a worn crown. Crooked-seated bullets aren't unstable, they just leave the muzzle with their base at a slightly different angle than straight-seated bullets.

Which is why my money is on a forend bedding problem.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
MD, you are probably right. But I don't think so. I do absolutely agree that the twist should be enough to stabilize that bullet. No doubt.

I understand 1 and 2 and yes, they are not a factor here.

I cannot even come close to seeing enough detail in that target to say anything about what bullet holes are perfectly round and which ones are not. It is hard enough when looking at a target up close and in person.f If they are keyholing sure, but then most of the bullets would be missing altogether.

But one thing is for certain - unless the two groups are unique flukes of chance. And that is that accuracy as is rapidly, very rapidly, declining with distance. Those bullets are becoming ever more inaccurate while they are flying and long long after they leave the muzzle and any influence of the forearm bedding etc. If your forearm hypothesis is correct, and the rifle shoots 3MOA at 100 it the forearm can't cause it to shoot 6 MOA at 200 because by the time the bullet reaches the 100 yds line, it has long forgotten the forearm per se. It can only be less accurate if something is happening to the bullet out there in the middle of the range. That leaves just the bullet's intrinsic properties and the environmental conditions such as wind.

If wind conditions etc, do not factor in, then the group size at x00 yards should be reasonably x times the group size at 100 yds. No news to you there, but this is dramatically larger. I would doubt that any environmental variables (e.g., wind) changed sufficiently to cause that increase in group size above this expectation or the OP would have mentioned that.

So, it's got to be intrinsic to the bullet itself. And that means stability, regardless of what the numbers say. I disagree that you can launch a wobbly bullet and expect it to be stably wobbly such that the "cone of fire" or MOA of accuracy would be maintained. It is knuckleballing out there and when it does that it's shedding velocity fast (thus the huge drop from the expected center of the group). And the big increase in MOA group size.

I don't know how the forearm would cause that group to drop like that, nor how it would induce a larger MOA. I just don't see a mechanism. So, I'm sticking with my story - besides, I've been there, done that too many times.

But maybe you are right. Maybe we will find out. It would be interesting to know.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I had a 338 Lapua that would not stabilize one particular 325 grain VLD rebated boatail. When this happens horizontal stringing is the least of your troubles.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This may get me in trouble....but I don't think there is anything wrong with the rifle or the load.A lot of the analysis being made(good suggestions!)are based on two groups,and assume the OP is holding perfectly each and every time(Not dumping on the OP, just being realistic).

Three of the four shots in the 125 yard group are trending "right"( and those three are not strung and the group is pretty good)....this right tendency will be exagerated at greater distances and shows up in the lower group..I bet the horizontal stuff is due to alignment and the forend of that Savage rolling around in the bags and bouncing off the firm bags as he fires.There may also be cant in the scope or the way the OP holds the rifle that we can't see.

As for the lower impact, I think he just has to take it back to 100 and zero so that he's a full 2" high above that white dot.POI should come in at 200 or close to it.I'd also do what another poster suggested and get the forend off the bags back more to the receiver.Might also try a soft towel under there to try to minimize freaky bounces off the rest as the rifle recoils.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/24/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,270
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.