-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Somewhere around Samoa in WW1 , Family are tryinhg to figure out his service medals as they relate to both maritime and army , somehow

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ColKlink
Franco-Prussian War, kicked the [bleep] out of the Frogs.

Your grandpa or great-grandpa? Man, I'm old, but you must be ancient. grin Seriously, my great-grandfather was in the Prussian army as well and fought at the battle of Sedan. I have a cousin whose other greatgrandfather was on the French side.

One of my grandfathers was in the Army during the Spanish-American War. The other was in both WW I and II.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My maternal pop was a tank crew member, wwII, carried a .45 smg since they fit in tanks easier. Was shot through tank armor in arm. No docs in Africa so patched up it got and on they went. He wouldn't ever talk about wwII. My grandmother made him toss a Nazi rifle he brought back down the outhouse. No running water in their house back then.

Paternal grandfather was an army officer. He's still kicking at age 92. Gave me a couple sporterized 8 mm mausers and an American remington 1903 30/06 sporterized mauser action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My maternal grandfather was USMC Sgt in Korea. Served in the infantry from 50-51.

My paternal grandfather operated a flamethrower in occupied Japan after WWII.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My maternal grandfather served in a mortar crew with the 86th ID during WWII.

My paternal grandfather was an Army MP guarding prisoners during the Korean War.

My great grandfathers were both farmers and not called up for service in WWI.

My great great grandfathers both served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 01/23/13.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, it depends on which Grandpa you're talking about.

Mom's Dad was born in '02 and grew up on a farm in Brecksville, OH. He joined, and was in camp when the Armistice was signed. They sent him home shortly thereafter. It was in camp that he learned how to smoke cigarettes, and how to dye your blanket with coffee to hide the cigarette burns. He came home, went to Ohio State, played basketball for them for a brief time and was a frat brother of fellow engineering student, Curtis LeMay. They corresponded until LeMay died. Both married and had 1 daughter. Both were successful. LeMay in his trade and Gramps as a VP for Formica and American Cyanamid.

Now Dad's Dad was something else entirely. He was called up in '16 and served the entire war in the infantry. However, his head was too big to fit a gas mask. He spent the entire war being shuttled up to the front, they'd find he could not wear the mask, and they'd send him back to the rear, where he would try to make himself as useful as possible. He was born in Marburg, Germany in '98. His experience was quite different from Mom's Dad. Right after the war ended he married a cute chick from Biedenkopf and they emigrated to Cincinnati in 1923. He he started off as a groundskeeper for Formica co-founder Dan O'Connor. By 1926 he was a millionaire home builder.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't know my Maternal Grandfather well, only met him once. He was Army infantry and earned a bronze star in the battle right before the Battle of the Bulge. Was captured at the Battle of the Bulge, escaped with two others and had to give themselves up instead of freeze to death. Spent six months in a POW Camp. Stayed in the Army and earned another Bronze Star in Korea.

Step-Grandfather (the one I knew) was trained as a ball turret gunner in B-17's and was pulled right after gunnery school in Kingman AZ and sent to flight school. He got his wings in early 44 and spent the rest of the war as an instructor.

My father's Dad was older and between WWI and II and was a bugler and barber in the Florida Guard. Spent time down on the border in Texas and I have a few pictures. By the time WWII started he was too old and worked for Graybar electric.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Belly gunner, shot down and took an unplanned "vacation" in italy.

One tough old SOB that guy was.

Other one was on a big boat...

Last edited by Crockettnj; 01/23/13.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grand fathers after basic training, got on a train to Houstan for the trip to France. Unfortunately or fortunately while still at sea 11/11/18 occured and the ship was turned around.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
G G grandfather was wounded at a place called:
Gettysburg. Shot through the leg, he recovered and the gubment gave him $4 for his trouble.

Mother's father was a doughboy and went over the top.
The only story he told me:
He picked up an artillery model Luger. Complete with stock/holster.
And got it all the way to the troop ship home, before an officer took it from him.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My father joined the Army for WWII. Was sent to the South Pacific, fought the Japanese in the Philippines and New Guinea. His Unit received the Presidential Unit Citation for their part in the Battle of Leyte Island.

I have a copy of the folded and aged citation, framed and hanging on my wall. It was written on an old typewriter with some of the letters mis-aligned, and has fold marks in the paper. Every time I think I'm having a tough day, I read it and realize I'm not having a tough day at all.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, I love hearing these stories guys! "Thank You" doesn't come close to paying respects for all those that served. My dad served in the Army during WWII under General Patton. Any where Patton went, Dad was there, and quite a few other places too. I know nothing about either of my Grandfather's military service. They were both dead before I was born, and it was never discussed. I am named after my Great Uncle who fought for the Union out of Pennsylvania during the Civil War. He was killed in action-shot off his horse by a sniper. During the course of tracing family history on my mother's side, we found out she had a distant cousin who flew with Baron Von Richthofen during WWI, was a confirmed ace with 7 kills, and was killed in action. It is very impressive to hear all your stories. This is what made us the people and country we are today.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
WFR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Grandad served during WWII and Korea.
At age 19 or 20 he was driving a LCVP during D-Day.
I cannot imagine the horrors he saw.
He never spoke about it. Ever.

He later changed branches to the Army retired as a Master Sergeant from the FL National Guard.
He's still the most amazing man I have ever met to this day.

Last edited by WFR; 01/23/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandfather joined the 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division at St Lo, a few weeks(?) after D-Day. He claims to have arrived in Paris, spent the night, and left before the famous "liberation pictures were ever taken. I never heard him utter the word "Hurtgen" but my grandmother told me he was there. The 22nd suffered 80% battle casualties at Hurtgen alone, after which the Regimental Commander reported that "My command no longer exists." The only stories I ever heard my grandfather tell were the funny ones.

One cool thing is that Hemingway adopted that Regiment and my grandfather spent a bit of time with him during the war. A few years ago my dad showed me a cool note that Hemingway wrote to him (he was an infant at the time).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was part of the Czech mobilization in 1938 to stand up against Germans.

Went back home after Britain and France gave Sudets to Hitler to secure peace for our time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_for_our_time

Didn't help them worth a $hit to stab us in the back.

Last edited by Czech_Made; 01/23/13.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My grandfather joined the Marines in 1918 and did a little fighting in the Dominican Republic during the Banana Wars.

I have his journal from that time, a flag he carried, his dog tags and medals.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Both my grandfathers were too old for WWI. I had a great uncle in it, but have no info beyond that. My uncle was a medic in WWII and landed with the troops at Normandy. Later transferring to military intelligence, then the CIA.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WFR

Same with my dad, most of the stories I heard were from my mom. I do know he always made sure not to use up his last couple of rounds becasue there was no way he was going to be taken alive by the Japanese.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by WFR

Same with my dad, most of the stories I heard were from my mom. I do know he always made sure not to use up his last couple of rounds becasue there was no way he was going to be taken alive by the Japanese.

My grandfather and father would never talk about the horrors they saw.

My dad had some brownie snapshots of the aftermath of the Battle for the Aleutians.
Dead Japs in their bunks with rifles in their mouths and toes in the trigger gaurds.
Or halves of them after clutching gernades to their chests.

And the lines of dead after the Banzai charge..
GI's stuck to their knees in the tundra as willowwinds blasted them...

I wonder where those B & W's are...

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Grandfather served in WWII spent some time in Africa, fixing planes among other things.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 817 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.