Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
There are three of us I know of just several weeks from delivery after almost a two year wait,all three are Shilohs.

I bet that clock is crawling. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinI know fer a fact that Woody is crawlin' the walls as we speak grin I [bleep] him a LOT worse when I had him shoot the 44/90. grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've never heard of a Shiloh owner parting with a rifle to acquire a C Sharps or Pedersoli (sp?). Folks often take the reverse route though.

Having fondled 'err handled all three there's a definite difference in the wood to metal fit and overall fine craftsmanship of a Shiloh IMO.I'm partial but would rate Shiloh at the top then C Sharps and finally Pedersoli.

Since I'm new to the game I've only shot a Shiloh but I do know the others aren't lacking in the accuracy dept from talking with friends who have them.My friend Otter [Nick] said he got his behind kicked in competitive shoots more than once going up against a Pedersoli as they had better barrels in the old days vs a Shiloh.

Individual preference for price and wait time enters the picture so if a guy's not anal about Shiloh either of the other two is a good choice for hunting or banging steel over the curvature of the earth. grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are two ways to get a Shiloh faster if you decide that is what you want. Three actually

1. What does Shiloh have on their website as immediately available for sale?
2. there are a TON of lightly used or effectively NIB Shilohs for sale at all the usual outlets. Just watch for a while and one will come along that might suit you fine.
3. Contact Bill Goodman and order your new, custom Shiloh for a few hundred dollars more and get it in several months instead of several years. Bill is the only guy that does this but he buys spots in line at Shiloh and sells them at a very reasonable mark up for folks that don't want to wait. Bill is well known and held in highest esteem. So, he is a safe bet.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
There are three of us I know of just several weeks from delivery after almost a two year wait,all three are Shilohs.

Gunner

Yeah and it's worse since retirement..shoulda held off till my gun was in hand! grin

Woody
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinI know fer a fact that Woody is crawlin' the walls as we speak grin I [bleep] him a LOT worse when I had him shoot the 44/90. grin

grin
[Linked Image]

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 01/25/13.

Woody
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Shiloh 1874 45-70 and a CSharps 1885 38-55. Both are high quality firearms in my view. In my case the cartridge and guns are quite different so I won't say one is better than the other.
One thing that I did was order very high grade wood on both of my guns. The shiloh is fabulous. The Csharps wood is extremely plain. I can't remember what I paid extra for the wood on the Csharpss, but that money was totally wasted. I did contact Csharps about the wood and never received a response.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What Brent said, although I don't know that Goodman charges several hundred. I recall when it was $150, and then maybe $200. Easy enough to find out.

I will have a rebarreled and unfired Shiloh .45-90 on the market shortly. 32" No. 1 Sporter, no sights.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunner

One can always order a Randall knife; then the Shiloh deliveries will seem fast in comparison grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brent I have checked in with Shiloh many times over the past two years about rack guns and have never found one exactly like I ordered.BTW what PP mould is your best shooter?

Woody
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just picked up a C. Sharps with no wait. It is the same rifle spec'd out here:

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail/267/1874-SEMI-CUSTOM-LONG-RANGE-SPORTING-RIFLE-45caliber.html

Like new, 45-2.6, less than 100 rounds and......

$1650.00 out the door. I was going to order a Shiloh, but now I have to see hwo this one shoots first.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know that Brent shoots a PP .45 bullet of his own design, and with great success.

If you don't want to go the full custom mould route, Buffalo Arms paper patched Money bullet is a good one, and not that different from Brent's.

As you probably know, calibrating the finished diameter is important, taking into account your measured bore diameter and the availability of paper in a specified thickness. Thousandths do count here!

My BA Money mould drops a .444 bullet that patches to .451. My Badger bore is slightly on the large side.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My bullets for 18" twist .45s that we are probably all thinking about is my own design, which I call a 411 Prolate. The mould was cut for me by Steve Brooks. A Brooks mould is not that much more than a BACO and comes almost as quickly.

Anyone can have Brooks (or someone else) make the same bullet and I will gladly provide the drawings and details. It is a well proven bullet out to 1000 yds when cast of 16:1 and loaded correctly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For just experimenting with patched bullets, ordering one of Accurates aluminum moulds is a fairly inexpensive way to go ,last ones I ordered were 85$ delivered. Also getting a mould from Old West was under 100$.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't know this Accurate Mould company. Do they have a webpage, and is that $85 for a stock item or will they cut one to spec?

It looks very nice and the steel socket and pin set up looks like it would be very durable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brent, I believe the web is accurate moulds.com,but Mr google can confirm that.
The price is for either something you spec and he can make or something he's already got in place. Good guy to work with.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
accuratemoulds.com =
Manufacturers Of Plastic Injection Dies, Plastic Injection Moulds For DVD Boxes, CD Boxes, Audio Cassette Boxes, Video Cassette Boxes, EPS Moulds, Jig & Fixtures

ACCURATE MOULDS & DIES
Address : Plot No. L - 41, MIDC, Ahmednagar - 414111. Maharashtra. India.
Tel. No. : +91 - 241 - 2778355, Fax No. : +91 - 241 - 2778355, Mobile : +91 - 94222 20755.

More googlefoo is needed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
http://www.accuratemolds.com/

Gets it done.

Thanks. I need this paper patch lever gun bullet....

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I can whole heartedly recommend Bill Goodman. I ordered my first Shiloh with lots of upgrades and had it in a few months. It was $200 over the catalog price but he does ship it cheaper than what Shiloh charges. I have bought gently used ones off Gunbroker and the classifieds on 24hourcampfire.com. My most recent Saddle Rifle was on consignment at Buffalo Arms (they still have a couple more too), it was everything I wanted in a hunting gun. Had I not bought that one Shiloh had one in stock that had the standard wood that was close that I would have ordered. The deals are out there if you look hard. I have heard many say that the long wait allows you to save up the money to pay for the gun. I am just too impatient to wait.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Gunner

Yeah and it's worse since retirement..shoulda held off till my gun was in hand! grin

It's gonna be worth it Woody wink, I looked over on C-Sharps at the beautiful 45-90 High-Walls, cry damn there nice, and already built and ready to ship. shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,294
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.