Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The change in ownership and direction of Badger Barrels has been a game changer.

Shiloh's well-deserved reputation is based in considerable part on the quality of their barrels. In fact, if they sold their barrels separately they wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Since last fall, I have heard lots of stories about Badger barrels current availability with CSharps, Miroku, CPA and others. I'm not so sure the game has changed for those folks. I heard Ernie is still working and I heard a lot of other stuff. I have no idea what is true or not, but if anyone REALLY knows, feel free to dish.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've heard similar things about Green Mountain.

Point is, you really need to get a handle on the current state of things you have under consideration.

Shiloh's quality seems to be a constant, and if anything seems to have just gotten better over the years.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 01/25/13. Reason: confused geography

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I seem to have kicked the bee hive, here. Good info and thanks to all for your experience. I smell smoke!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Uncas, No real smoke but it did bring a few of us out of the woodwork. That's good! Now, let us know what you have in mind.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I will also add that I don't know what Shiloh's stated policy is with regard to warrranty work on rifles owned by other than the original purchaser, but in my case they have treated me very, very well.

Paul

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Uncas, I agree with 303 - what would you spec in a Shiloh for instance and for what sorts of purposes.

There is a 4th way to get what you want in a Sharps. Buy a plain jane version used and rebuild it. This could take longer than ordering a new one and may cost more however.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Paul39
The change in ownership and direction of Badger Barrels has been a game changer.

Shiloh's well-deserved reputation is based in considerable part on the quality of their barrels. In fact, if they sold their barrels separately they wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand.

Paul

I have an old C Sharps 45-31/4", I think it has a Badger barrel, sure shoots better than my no talent azz can shoot it.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The NEWER Shiloh barrels are apparently a lot more desirable than once.

12-13 Years ago, and forward a bit, I re-barreled a LOT of Shilohs.

There's one on Steve Rhoades' site, as we peck, A Roughrider in my .38-50 Rem Hep chambering.

All the owners called out an improvement with the fresh Badgers.

The Shiloh that's on Rhoades' Site is the SQUAREST Sharps action I've ever worked with,......It drove tacks, in the "Fireforming Stage", for three different shooters, with LOTS of witnesses.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
adendum.......

It would not just be conjecture that a company's barrel quality would improve with time, it would be, more likely, a virtual CERTAINTY.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
The NEWER Shiloh barrels are apparently a lot more desirable than once.

12-13 Years ago, and forward a bit, I re-barreled a LOT of Shilohs.

There's one on Steve Rhoades' site, as we peck, A Roughrider in my .38-50 Rem Hep chambering.

All the owners called out an improvement with the fresh Badgers.

The Shiloh that's on Rhoades' Site is the SQUAREST Sharps action I've ever worked with,......It drove tacks, in the "Fireforming Stage", for three different shooters, with LOTS of witnesses.

Very old "Farmingdale" Shilohs and preBryan Shilohs had poorly chambered barrels. This is almost certainly what you are refering to. Ernie told me that those old Shilohs were responsible for giving Badger Barrel Company life as rebarreling them is how he started his business of barrel making.

Any Shiloh from the Bryan period (denoted with a leading or trailing "B" in the serial number), has a fine barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't know that

wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Farmers had the "mile-long" freebore. Had one of those myself. Bought a barrel from Ernie to fix it. Hence, the conversation. I prefer Farmers for a couple of reasons, but they are a barrel job in waiting if they haven't been done already.

Cost-benefit appropriately when considering.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's what Pete at C. Sharps just told me about their barrels, "Badger is no more. Was bought out by Wilson Manufacturing. They are making barrels, but we have not received any from them as yet. We still have some Badger barrels in stock, and have been using Green Mountain match grade barrels with good success and feedback. The Green Mountain bbls are double stress relieved, and cut rifled for the Sharps. Their barrels for the Highwall, lowwall, 75, and Hepburns are button rifled."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the update. I prefer GM barrels over all others in recent years and my two best rifles sport them. They are VERY competitive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Brent, I have liked GM barrels on muzzle loaders but have no experience with them for BPC shooting. Well, maybe I've got one but just didn't know it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
http://www.accuratemolds.com/

Gets it done.

Thanks. I need this paper patch lever gun bullet....

This one looks like it has potential
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-275P-D.png , maybe have him make a bit larger meplat for filling the magazine..

I had him come up with the 43-470 p for the 44-77 and it's working very well. Gave Kurt some and he said his 44's liked them.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
There are three of us I know of just several weeks from delivery after almost a two year wait,all three are Shilohs.

I bet that clock is crawling. laugh

Gunner

One can always order a Randall knife; then the Shiloh deliveries will seem fast in comparison grin

I got a Bill Bagwell blade on the way Tex. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is an interesting rifle in Shiloh's "ready to go" rack. It's a '74 Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle in .45/70 with a heavy 26" octagon barrel. That does appeal to me and it looks like it was made following the original shown on page 203 in Sellers' book on Sharps Firearms. All it would need is a sporting tang sight. It isn't a long-range gun but it would hold its own for mid-range shooting.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I own both , 2 C. Sharps and 2 Shilohs , The workmanship on the four are great although Shiloh has nicer wood. All are good shooters.I like the C.Sharps tang sights. I had the hammer screws loosen up on the C. Sharps and on one of my C. Sharps the hammer spring broke. No problems with the Shilohs.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 8 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.