Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another one who knows whats best for me, cant have too many of them,, like this Rene who started this thread,, from France, lol, theres a good example of a country that can share advice on how to forget the past,
This is a country that its citizens are furious with its gov for letting foreigners over populate the country and force their views upon a once proud nation, Napoleon had it right,lol, dont loose your passport Rene.

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
There is Canada. No seperate sub nations.
I have lots of ancestry, but I am of one nationality. Canadian, Canuck, whatever.
I here a lot of childish "don't tell me what I am, blahblahblah."
The other thing I am hearing from you two is that there are Indians and Canadians, and yours is out for the cash.
Sad world view and its too bad it's being perpetuated.
Half breed, mixed breed, whatever you want to call it. I have not persued metis status because I see no reason. Should I persue English, Italian and German citizenship too? Why get somethig that I don't identify with? I don't need it; I identify myself as a Canadian and I can be proud enough of that to keep from looking for something else to make me feel special.
Feel free to call me more names, or whatever you like. Proves a point.

Last edited by rem338win; 01/24/13.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem338win
There is Canada. No seperate sub nations.
I have lots of ancestry, but I am of one nationality. Canadian, Canuck, whatever.
I here a lot of childish "don't tell me what I am, blahblahblah."
The other thing I am hearing from you two is that there are Indians and Canadians, and yours is out for the cash.
Sad world view and its too bad it's being perpetuated.
Half breed, mixed breed, whatever you want to call it. I have not persued metis status because I see no reason. Should I persue English, Italian and German citizenship too? Why get somethig that I don't identify with? I don't need it; I identify myself as a Canadian and I can be proud enough of that to keep from looking for something else to make me feel special.
Feel free to call me more names, or whatever you like. Proves a point.

I hate to break it to you, there are nations within Canada. If you took some time to learn the structure of your country you'd know this. It doesn't matter if you don't self identify it doesn't change what you are! You are Indian under the act, and by breeding.

Can you imagine a guy whose name is Cohen trying to convince the SS he's not Jewish??? That is what your doing by trying to deny your heritage....sad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Demographics of British Columbia, some interesting statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_British_Columbia

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well rem338, I'm not trying to pick on you but you are right about something, its about your metis status not being persued, there is no benefit, no tax exemptions, no land, no FA, really, I guess benefit can only be measured in some financial way, tax status or some other, not so, most people persue Metis status because they are proud of their nation and who they are as a Metis.
If you choose not to identify with the Metis people of Canada then that is sad, btw, self identification as being Metis is one of the criteria to gaining Metis status. If you dont identify then sobeit YOUR choice.
Even within the "indian nations" there are many separate nations within Canada, thats part of the issue, the word is diversity,,,Sioux, cree, Saulteaux, Carrier, all separate nations within Canada. Canada has went well out of their way to make some of the newly arriving people feel more than welcome.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 673
Well rem338, I'm not trying to pick on you but you are right about something, its about your metis status not being persued, there is no benefit, no tax exemptions, no land, no FA, really, I guess benefit can only be measured in some financial way, tax status or some other, not so, most people persue Metis status because they are proud of their nation and who they are as a Metis.
If you choose not to identify with the Metis people of Canada then that is sad, btw, self identification as being Metis is one of the criteria to gaining Metis status. If you dont identify then sobeit YOUR choice.
Even within the "indian nations" there are many separate nations within Canada, thats part of the issue, the word is diversity,,,Sioux, cree, Saulteaux, Carrier, all separate nations within Canada. Canada has went well out of their way to make some of the newly arriving people feel more than welcome.

I'd bet that if the govt came out and said they would refund all the income tax Metis have paid over the years he'd change his tune fast. ;-)

R
Rene Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have no idea what is best for you 673. I don't know you as an individual. Never claimed I did. I would like to see all Canadians prosper. I'm not worried about my place here in NW Ontario. I am born and bred Canadian and here to stay. I am looking forward to the end of the Indian act. I am also looking forward to the opening of the books on the native industry. I'm looking forward to equality for all Canadians.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Not a chance. A man with two masters hates one and loves the other.
I have standards and they can't be bought. I have enough pride in my Heritage to accept what it is: history. And I refuse to pursue most of it.
Will chasing some sort of "Status" change me? Will it make me better? Without that status can I not enjoy the culture without having some bureaucratic group recognizing me as one of them?
I find it sad you had to have the gov recognize you to make you who you are. Too bad that is the new culture. Or "nation".
Done here.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ha, you would succumb to your greed!! It's laughable that you'd even try to deny it. :-)

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem338win
Not a chance. A man with two masters hates one and loves the other.
I have standards and they can't be bought. I have enough pride in my Heritage to accept what it is: history. And I refuse to pursue most of it.
Will chasing some sort of "Status" change me? Will it make me better? Without that status can I not enjoy the culture without having some bureaucratic group recognizing me as one of them?
I find it sad you had to have the gov recognize you to make you who you are. Too bad that is the new culture. Or "nation".
Done here.

2 masters?? I dont think so,

We dont need/didn't need the gov to recognize us to make us who/what we are, that happened in 1982, and our people were fine and thriving before that, dont be so superficial rem338, we are who we are through our own works, without any gov help, indian act, we created everything ourselves without a handout.

Last edited by 673; 01/24/13.
IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rene
I have no idea what is best for you 673. I don't know you as an individual. Never claimed I did. I would like to see all Canadians prosper. I'm not worried about my place here in NW Ontario. I am born and bred Canadian and here to stay. I am looking forward to the end of the Indian act. I am also looking forward to the opening of the books on the native industry. I'm looking forward to equality for all Canadians.

I'm happy you are secure in yourself, good, I would like to see the books opened to,, by who I wonder? good luck.
Equality for all Canadians, we already have that, just stop trying to take anything from me to maintain this equality you speak of,, look you have already taken our land, children for 3 generations in residential school where we lost our language, culture, and any pride was beaten out of them, your not taking anymore bub

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get a kick out of this "you took our land" BS. Just because a couple hundred thousand (probably WAY less than that!) people decided that this country was theirs, and called "dibs" on the second largest land-mass country in the world, doesn't mean that they automatically get exclusive ownership of all that land. In fact, a larger group of people came from a population-dense area to expand the human population across the face of the Earth, and decided that calling "dibs" wasn't good enough.

I think you WAY over-estimate the national support of your cause, there 673. A local radio poll in Calgary found that over 70% of people that responded were against the INM movement. When all the masses that have been quietly paying their taxes and supporting all the parasites in this country for years under the various treaties, finally grow restless and their tolerance is exhausted, many eyes will be opened.

You say that no more should be taken from your people, but you miss the fact that many valuable elements of life will be GIVEN to you by eliminating all treaties and integrating Indians into mainstream society. Among those elements would be a drastically increased standard of living compared to the lifestyle seen on many reserves. Nobody is trying to take away your culture, languages, or identity. You can continue to practice those in mainstream society, just as the East Indians, Asians, and Europeans do. And just like us native-born Canadians do. That is entirely up to you and your people.

And no, we don't already have equality for all Canadians. Indians have more rights, are shown greater leniency with the law, and are given more opportunities than are other cultures found in Canada. Look back into the history of the nations and you'll see that it's always the privileged that whine the loudest about changes that will bring equality.

This time the Indian people have gone too far, demanding yet more rights and privileges over other Canadians. There is a storm brewing among the quiet masses, and the winds of change are starting to swirl. Luckily, this will be for the benefit of all Canadians, whether certain groups recognize it, or not.

R
Rene Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Rene

I'm happy you are secure in yourself, good, I would like to see the books opened to,, by who I wonder? good luck.
Equality for all Canadians, we already have that, just stop trying to take anything from me to maintain this equality you speak of,, look you have already taken our land, children for 3 generations in residential school where we lost our language, culture, and any pride was beaten out of them, your not taking anymore bub

Let's just try to do what we can now to make things better in the future for you and your decendants and mine. You have to get away from this thinking that we took all these things from you. You have been given much to be thankful for. There are really many people in this world and societies that have no chance for anything better. They would give anything to be living in Canada, even on a remote reserve. You have the chance to make your lives better now. There are many amung you who have made a better life and are inspiring others to do the same. Ending the Indian Act of phasing it out is the quickest route to recovery. You can and will keep your heritage alive. It is something to be proud of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And BTW, my use of the term "parasite" was not meant to be derogatory. But that is simply the most accurate term that comes to mind to describe the situation:

"par�a�site [par-uh-sahyt] Show IPA
noun
1. an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.
2. a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others."

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JS,,lol, the same wave that took us out is gonna swallow you up too, just wait and see,,they might call "dibs" on it next.I wasn't refering to the entire country as in land, actually more of a dominant culture simply saying this is yours, tiny little pieces of land,,and this is mine,
I would like to know how a standard of living would be drastically increased? please explain with common sense
I dont think I over-estimate support, if there is 1 million supporters and canada's population is 35 million, it is what it is then, its quite a few I think. If Canada didn't protect aboriginal people with special rights there wouldn't even be native people today, you see its not up to YOU to decide for us. If you were to notice many other countrys have "special rights" for their citizens too, lol, I think its you that needs to have a look around and be effing grateful

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
And BTW, my use of the term "parasite" was not meant to be derogatory. But that is simply the most accurate term that comes to mind to describe the situation:

noun
1. an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.
2. a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others."

And what term would you pick for non aboriginal people that are living off the wealth from land and resources they managed to wrest away from natives? Bloodsuckers maybe?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am grateful to live in a country that offers a high level of freedom, peace, and prosperity to its citizens. Make no mistake. But it seems to me that there are people in this country (Indians) who enjoy an even greater degree of rights and freedoms than I do, and are not particularly grateful at all.

It will ALWAYS be up to the majority to make decisions, not the minority. If 34 million Canadians say that it's time to eliminate the Indian Act and Treaty Act, then it will happen, regardless of whether the 600,000 Indians across the country want it to, or not. That's just the way it goes in a democracy.

Okay, now for the increase in the Standard of Living. Now I know that this doesn't apply to all reservations, nor all Indian people, but I have had plenty of exposure to various reservations, and the current situation is that many of those people receive payments each month, do not work, and because they do not work they have developed slothful habits. They do not do much if any cleaning or maintenance of their homes or vehicles, they don't do much cooking so chips and pop are a mainstay, and they are bored and unhappy a lot, so they resort to drugs and alcohol. I've seen this first-hand. Homes with all the windows smashed out and plywood covering the holes, 5 non-functioning cars sitting out back, with a new truck in the driveway, and garbage strewn across the land and stuck in the fences like stars strewn across the night sky. There are terrible things that go on in some of these places that is certainly correlated with the lifestyle that many of these people lead.

Now again, don't misunderstand. I'm not saying that all Indians on reserves live this way, but I've seen many that do. To be offered training and education which will enable many to become employable, help to purchase a home near a reasonably-sized economic center, and assisted in seeing the value of hard work and a healthy diet would most assuredly be a step up in Standard of Living.

Now the perspective of the other side, I believe that much of tax-paying Canada shares this sentiment: I didn't rob you or steal your land. In fact, I don't even have any land to call my own. I didn't wrong you or your people in any way. Neither did my father or grandfather. So why am I paying to support you and your people, when I have little hungry mouths of my own to feed, which I can barely do, as it is? The majority of Canadians are being over-taxed, and having an entire "nation" that is living off of our backs only aggravates the situation. See the definition of "parasite", above.

The difference between us, 673, is that I want what I believe to be best for you and me, your people and my people, so that they all become "our people". No more "you" vs. "us", etc. While you want only what is best for you and those like you, regardless of the cost to others all around you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

noun

And what term would you pick for non aboriginal people that are living off the wealth from land and resources they managed to wrest away from natives? Bloodsuckers maybe?

The land never did belong to the Indian people. They just happen to arrive here first and call "dibs" on the entire land mass. If that's how it works, then I call "dibs" on the continent of North America. Oh, that doesn't make it mine, you say? That's not how it works, you say? Exactly. How much land could a couple 100,000 people live on and occupy? Surely not very much when considering the vast expanse of land that makes up Canada. Whatever land they didn't live on and occupy at any given time would be deemed "unoccupied". Hard to take something away from someone when it's not theirs to start with. The numerous groups of people of the world just started to spread out a bit, and there was plenty of room to share in Canada.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
[quote=Jordan Smith]And BTW, my use of the term "parasite" was not meant to be derogatory. But that is simply the most accurate term that comes to mind to describe the situation:

noun

The land never did belong to the Indian people. They just happen to arrive here first and call "dibs" on the entire land mass. If that's how it works, then I call "dibs" on the continent of North America. Oh, that doesn't make it mine, you say? That's not how it works, you say? Exactly. How much land could a couple 100,000 people live on and occupy? Surely not very much when considering the vast expanse of land that makes up Canada. Whatever land they didn't live on and occupy at any given time would be deemed "unoccupied". Hard to take something away from someone when it's not theirs to start with. The numerous groups of people of the world just started to spread out a bit, and there was plenty of room to share in Canada.

I think you should research how many natives where here at the time of first contact...and how many are here now. Your numbers are way off the mark, I'll give you a C- on that post, I'm sure you'll do better with a little effort.

Apparently your idea that aboriginals didn't own the land are also skewed...you are aware of the Royal Proclamation of 1763? For some reason that King thought the natives owned the land or treaties would never have been necessary in the first place...I'll give you another C-.

Maybe you should spend a little time and effort to learn more about the history of Canada and our Constitution... Assuming of course that your not just too lazy to conduct a little research?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who gives a crap how many people were here. There are 35 million people in Canada now, and there STILL isn't even more than a small fraction of the land area of the country inhabited and occupied by people.

I also couldn't care less what the King thought. I'm sure he didn't much care who owned the land, but he certainly didn't want to be dealing with conflicts between the colony and the local Indians, hence the treaty.

More important than studying the history of Indians in Canada, is studying Economics, Social Policy, and Sociology so that maybe you can get an idea of what is best for the people of Canada today, and how to proceed in the FUTURE. The past is behind us, learn from it. The future is ahead of us, prepare for it. The present is what we're living, so make the best of it. And I can assure you that many of the Indian people of Canada could be living in a much better situation than what they're in now, and so could the rest of us if so much of our hard-earned tax money didn't get flushed down the toilet.

Anyhow...I grow tired of your constantly demeaning and self-aggrandized attitude, so I'm done with you. Maybe someday you'll get a clue.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.