Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
French naval shipbuilder DCNS used the recent Euronaval 2012 event to showcase a new submarine design, designed to carry out shallow-water operations in areas un-negotiable by traditional submarines.

Named the SMX 26, it's a littoral submarine capable of sustained seabed-based missions, constantly surveying the environment around it prior to launching weapons as required.

Able to operate in waters less than 15 metres in depth, the DCNS SMX 26 submarine features four fully steerable and retractable thrusters, enhancing its manoeuvrability and allowing it to be stabilised when at rest. There's also a system of wheels that extend and retract like the undercarriage of an aircraft. These wheels permit rapid seabed landings, while an array of sensors allow it to monitor activity both below and above the waves.
SMX 26 Submarine

[Linked Image]

A single 20 mm cannon is complemented by a missile launch container and a pair of weapons systems located on masts. A typical SMX 26 submarine weapons load would consist of ten torpedoes, including a pair of heavyweight torpedoes. Also on board, ready to be deployed, would be a contingent of up to six Special Forces personnel.

he new submarine is armed with two mast-mounted weapon systems, with a 20mm cannon and a missile launch container for anti-aircraft self-defence, as well as two heavyweight and eight lightweight torpedoes with heavy warheads.

A new anti-aircraft self-defence weapon system for submarines has also been introduced by the company, aimed to help navies to protect their vessels against airborne threats worldwide.

The new defence system forces aircraft to remain at a standoff distance from submarines and has been developed in two versions by DCNS and MBDA, featuring a mast-mounted anti-aircraft self-defence system and a self-defence system with an undersea vehicle (UUV).

Integrated within the Subtics combat system, the mast-mounted anti-aircraft self-defence system features a retractable mast to support a turret, which comprises several Mistral short-range missiles; whereas the UUV is equipped with a Mica medium-range missile.

Presented at Euronaval 2012 alongside the SMX 26 were a number of other DCNS products, including the Andrasta. Another concept submarine, the Andrasta first emerged in 2008 and, like the SMX 26, is designed to operate in shallow waters, engaging in a variety of roles including intelligence-gathering, offensive mine-laying and special operations, alongside anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare.
Shallow Waters Submarine

Since this is an older design, more information's available on the Andrasta's characteristics. 48.8m metres long, the Andrasta shallow waters submarine has a top speed of 15 knots, a submerged endurance of five days and is armed with six torpedo tubes, which can launch anti-ship missiles as well as torpedoes.

Still at this stage concepts only, both the Andrasta and the SMX 26 serve to illustrate DCNS' novel approach to modern-day submarine design.

Last edited by Pete E; 01/24/13.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like it!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
"There's also a system of wheels that extend and retract like the undercarriage of an aircraft. These wheels permit rapid seabed landings"

That might work well in flat, relatively hard sea floors. Maybe not so much in ones covered by rocks, heavy marine vegetation or deep mud. Still an interesting design, but I don't see where the rod holders go...

wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
but I don't see where the rod holders go...

wink

Or how you would deploy a decoy rig to bring them with reach of your 20mm cannon... smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I used to design submarines with wheels when I was 12. My art skills weren't as good as that, though, and I I couldn't get the funding to build a prototype.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sacre bleu! I zink zat some leetle frogg-ee dezignaire was watching too many of ze Stingray Zuper Zubmarine episodes when he was a leetle boy, n'cest pas?

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was a brown shoe so i know zip about subs.
Doesn't do anything for me but then i still think the F4J Phantom is still the best lookin bad azz in the sky.
Been around just a few (thank God!) Frogs and Pepe le Pew is their idea of a fresh summer breeze. No way would i care to be in that sealed tuna can.
Retractable gear is great for aircraft.......but a sub? Looks like a swell way to get sucked in the muck.

Besides......it's the French. Good at fries....not so much at underwater boats.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bringin' back, but modernizing/updating, the Japanese mini-subs of WWII .

FWIW, at times we were operating in waters around 30-35 meters in depth.. And the captain was plenty nervous.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's really pretty neat looking but I'm not sure what role it would play. Not that I'm a submarine tactician or strategist by any means. Our boomers can be used to project ultimate power all over the world, and the attack subs can run around the world as well. But they have large crews and extended time at sea capabilities. Not sure what kind of trans-oceanic capability this one has. Maybe it can stay out for months or not, the description doesn't say.

I can see this for some kind of clandestine special teams insertion and up close coastal observation, but seems we have sufficient capabilities in those regards already by air, surface vessel or satellite.

Anyway, innovation or efforts at innovation are always good. Maybe one of you folks more versed in maritime strategic needs could help out here? Just what would you use this for?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It�s really funny but since WW II France has been one of the foremost military suppliers in the world; they straight up make some good hardware.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
It�s really funny but since WW II France has been one of the foremost military suppliers in the world; they straight up make some good hardware.

Too bad they're unreliable allies!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like it would be difficult to get the thing across the ocean, before it could sneak around in shallow water. But I bet Iran would love to buy a few of them frown

I actually gave some thought to building a small diesel electric sub, what systems it would need, cost effective construction methods, etc - purely as a fun engineering project for informal undersea exploration, with some decent range and speed. Then I saw the programs on narco subs, and realized the gov would have a fricken' cow if you actually started building one blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
FUBAR!!!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Then I saw the programs on narco subs,

That could be the gov't market for this thing, "shallow" water recon for anti-drug operations.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wheels?? Better have a good winch and be 4 WD

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wheels must be for the boat ramps so the 6 special ops forces don't get their feet wet.

or mabey for rapid repairs on land in the middle of the night grin

pull up to the local MCdees for a burger and fries

frogs do like their fries grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The British fitted anti aircraft missiles to a subs conning tower in the 1970's, but the trials didn't go any where..

Given the huge advances in technology since then, I think its an idea that worth re examining.

In theory, the sub would not even need to deploy active radar as all the tracking and targeting could be carried out by an AWACS aircraft or surface ship and the fire control information relayed to the sub..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting, yes. Functionally effective? No.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It's really pretty neat looking but I'm not sure what role it would play. Not that I'm a submarine tactician or strategist by any means. Our boomers can be used to project ultimate power all over the world, and the attack subs can run around the world as well. But they have large crews and extended time at sea capabilities. Not sure what kind of trans-oceanic capability this one has. Maybe it can stay out for months or not, the description doesn't say.

I can see this for some kind of clandestine special teams insertion and up close coastal observation, but seems we have sufficient capabilities in those regards already by air, surface vessel or satellite.

Anyway, innovation or efforts at innovation are always good. Maybe one of you folks more versed in maritime strategic needs could help out here? Just what would you use this for?

They would have to be attached to a mother sub. Doable.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

They would have to be attached to a mother sub. Doable.

Toss them over the side of a freighter - much cheaper but not stealthy. It would give the bad guys more to worry about.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.