Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
remfak Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just got my first pair of glasses with progressive lenses and I am NOT digging these things at all. For those of you that have, or had them in the past, what has been your experience with them? How long did it take you to get used to them?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
LOL, I got a pair about 2 years ago. I work at a desk in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day. The progressive glasses gave me "mid" range to see the screen and rock back in my chair. You have to "follow your nose". You cannot roll your eyes left or right or down without getting into fuzzy areas when looking at a distance. It makes for a bit of difficulty when walking and trying to see where your feet hit the ground.

One thing I did was get a pair of single lense sunglasses. It sure is nice to be able to walk and see the ground by rolling your eyes.

I had never had bi-focal glasses until I got the progressive glasses. Good Luck!

I do have to say, I can now read without taking my glasses off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After falling down the stairs a couple of times, by the time the cast was off, it was fine.

Seriously give them a few weeks. Late one day you'll realize you have had them on all day. Took me a few days.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I much prefer the lined lenses, myself. I've tried progressive lenses twice over the 25 years or so since I first started needing bifocals and now trifocals but could never stand wearing them long enough to get used to them. With the lines I always know exactly where I'm at and which grind I need to go to for whatever distance range I'm working with.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Took me almost a month to get used to my progressive lenses. Hated em at first !
Love em now.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took me a week or so, watch those steps! Now scanning for game took me a couple years, learning to scan with my head, not just my eyes. Single vision contacts were great for hunting until one day I forgot my reading glasses. Ever field dress a deer mostly by feel?

Had a pair of single vision made up for computer and reading, much more comfortable. Either I had to move my head all the time or my eyes strained to keep focus outside the sweet spot.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For some reason I never had any problems adjusting to progressive lenses. I loved them from the minute I put them on. Have had cataract surgery and now I only need "readers". I am plagued with floaters and macular degeneration that are other "issues".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've worn them for almost twenty years,work great.Only trouble is my last pair are smaller in size and shooting a handgun can be a pain.Hard to focus on the front sight with the narrower vision allowed.
I have also noticed at malls,they make women's butts look bigger...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If you have a scope on your rifle, you'll have to refocus the scope for your new glasses.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MColeman
For some reason I never had any problems adjusting to progressive lenses. I loved them from the minute I put them on. Have had cataract surgery and now I only need "readers".
This is me to a T, including the cataracts. I still wear the progressives, even after the cataract surgery. I have a very slight need for a correction at distance that they fix. I don't wear them at all in the field, but they're very handy at work & at home.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have been wearing progressive lenses since they came out years back. Yes, it takes a few days to get used to them, but past that, they are great.
I would never go back to the old fashioned bi or tri focals.

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It takes a few weeks to get used to using them. Be careful at first when using stairs or a urinal.

If you can't see your front sight, have the eye doc craft a prescription that emphasizes the mid-range so your front sight is in crisp focus.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Had my first pair for 4 days and can get myself sea sick by moving my eyes around too fast. Nice to be able to read with glasses on again though..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30 years in the the optical business here guys. All the above comments are very accurate. They are tough to get used to, especially if you're one that doesn't react well to change. You need to learn to point with your nose, so that your eyes stay in the "sweet spot" of the lenses. One difference between progressives and lined bifocals is that progressives give you mid range focus, which is your viewing area out at arm's length or dashboard distance, or out at your computer screen. An option for folks who aren't liking them for the computer would be occupational lenses, which are a no line design with a wider reading area, but are designed only for mid-range and reading. They won't work for distance, so are best suited as a second pair for folks who do a lot of computer work, probably at a desk or cubicle. Once again, these won't work for distance, so are basically a second pair option for most folks. For hunting, I either wear contacts, or single vision glasses made for distance only, and keep a pair of readers with me just in case I ever get a chance to fill out a deer tag. (That's another story!) I don't like trying to see clearly through the scope with the no lines on. Try to find a good optician who hunts or shoots. They will best understand what you're gong through and how to help address it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by remfak
Just got my first pair of glasses with progressive lenses and I am NOT digging these things at all. For those of you that have, or had them in the past, what has been your experience with them? How long did it take you to get used to them?
I had a pair for over a month and couldn't get used to 'em.. Took them back and exchanged for standard bifocals and couldn't be happier.

I know some people really like the progressive lenses, but I'm not one of 'em.. YMMV

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One thing about progressives - if you need a real strong prescription for distance, you'll likely have problems shooting. They'll get weak in the upper corners - right where you have to look for sighting a gun or bow. The stronger the prescription, the worse it gets. I had to switch to bifocals to be able to shoot until my cataract surgery fixed it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"You cannot roll your eyes left or right"

If you have this problem you need different glasses.I don't have any blurred areas on my progressive lens. My lenses are Nikon.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tried them twice,hated them both times.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by remfak

Maybe 2 weeks to a month. I was sorry I switched at first. But now you couldn't pay me enough to go back to bifocals. Just stick with it. There is a downside and you have to be aware. Once in awhile the get the prescription out of alignment with your eye. In that case you'll never see properly. Stick with them and give them a chance. But if after 30 days you're still not liking them. Go back to the eye doctor and have him/her check alignment.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am one of the haters, tried them six years ago and said I preferred lined bifocals. Six years later and after months of headaches I went to get new lenses.

Doc said I needed mid-range correction, and since I prefer thin lenses, top to bottom I simply did not have enough room for tri-focals.

He took the time to explain the sweet spot using a similar diagram.

[Linked Image]

Took a few weeks to get used to it and I will never go back to lined lenses, plus, with no lines all the women's think I am 20 and not 50 now.

Last edited by RDW; 01/25/13.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10ring1, 222ND, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,568
Posts18,531,885
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.