Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A great tribute Scott, to your humanity. I'm sure your buddy really appreciated that last hunt. We all should be so lucky.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

SKane Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Tell us the rest of the story. Please.
Did you or a member of the family keep the rack?

Jim

Jim,

It may or may not get a shoulder mount. The funeral home director insisted on making it part of the wake so we put it on a plaque in the interim. Either way, his wife wants it to reside in their northwood's lodge - perfect spot for it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not much to say except "Thanks for sharing" and "RIP Chuck".

Dale

This space for rent

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm glad you made the most of your chance to let Chucks heart soar one last time, Well done!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow!

Scott,

I just caught this post for the first time. You Sir are one fine man and your buddy must have been as well! May God Bless you both.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
My bud Chuck has been battling cancer for the last 1.5 years. He didn't get to make the WI deer season this year because he was bed ridden. He wanted desperately to have one final hunt, and, perhaps a chance to put a good one on the ground.

The only option open to us just prior to Christmas, and, before his short window closed, was a game preserve. I was seriously conflicted about that sort of thing but was hell bent on making a final wish come true.

I searched to find one that could accommodate a last second schedule and special needs of getting around. The place - the 1000-acre Forest of Antlers in Minoqua. It's a three hour drive from home and hospice wouldn't hear of him staying overnight so we planned on several days of driving back forth if need be. (actually, hospice didn't want him to go, period grin)

The owner, Ron Lee and his staff didn't have high hopes as the weather was spitting freezing rain.

With a fair amount of work we got Chuck into the elevated blind overlooking a food plot and bundled up for the afternoon sit.

Well, the big guy was looking down as he made for a pretty quick sit as a couple of bucks entered the food plot. I had a "budget" deer in mind, but true to my prediction, Chuck would want a bigger one. After a lot of positioning and repositioning, I got my .243 in the right spot for him to anchor the one he wanted. I didn't even have time to get my ears covered as Chuck put one through the buck's boiler at about 90 yards. grin

Lots of tears and laughter ensued. I was both happy and honored to have been able to share that last hunt with him. A huge thank you to Ron Lee and his staff - finer folks you'll never meet.

We laid Chuck to rest yesterday. RIP buddy.

[Linked Image]

Scott my friend, you are a true class act. I hope all is well with you, Im sorry to read of the loss of your friend.

Coop.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (1shotnokilz, 325wsm1, 160user, 30incher, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 20 invisible), 16,982 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,231
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.