Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Brazos Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My son is inheriting a stainless left hand A-bolt from a hunting buddy of ours who recently passed away.

The catch is, its a .270 and he already has one. So need advice as to best route to a 300 WM. Rebarrel or rebore?

Ball park estimates and 'smith recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There are some obstacles to your plan. The bolt face is wrong. so you'll have to get the bolt face opened up or replace with a new bolt of the correct bolt face. The existing magazine will not be correct. Then there is the cost around getting a new barrel. Every time I go through the process of evaluating a rebuild or replace question I come to the conclusion it is easier to sell the older gun and buy a new one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just rebarrel to 30-06 and then all you will need is a barrel

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Maybe a real 'smith can chime in on this, but from my understanding, the A-Bolt is one action you don't want to fool around with rebarreling. The original barrels are apparently installed with red Loctite on the threads, and there is a risk of damaging the receiver when trying to remove it.

Brazos Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies folks.

Yeah 30-06 would probably be the way to go.

The rebarrel would be preferable to trading guns for sentimental reasons.

I've read about the loctite situation, sounds like some 'smiths have found a way around it.

Thanks again.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 270Mag
Maybe a real 'smith can chime in on this, but from my understanding, the A-Bolt is one action you don't want to fool around with rebarreling. The original barrels are apparently installed with red Loctite on the threads, and there is a risk of damaging the receiver when trying to remove it.

My gunsmith guy does very credibile benchrest stuff. In his words he tried once to do an A-bolt he said never again they are crap!

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 01/26/13.

NRA Lifetime Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Keep this one, sell the other and buy what you want.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The original barrels are apparently installed with red Loctite on the threads, and there is a risk of damaging the receiver when trying to remove it.

That's not correct - just another Internet myth. Most any good gunsmith can re-barrel an A-Bolt.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good advice.. They do not come apart easy but with the right tools, The howa on other hand can be well not nice. Your rifle will probably have a 20tpi shank.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i too have heard about the lock tight but havnt seen it as of yet. only done 3 or 4 a bolts.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe a real 'smith can chime in on this, but from my understanding, the A-Bolt is one action you don't want to fool around with rebarreling.

I rebarrel a lot of A-Bolts. The only one I ever had a thread problem with was a very early 1980's "Stainless Stalker" in 375 H&H. It was ALMOST a big enough nightmare to make me rethink my chosen career path. Ended up hack sawing the barrel from the receiver, machining out the remaining shank from the receiver and cutting new receiver threads. Luckily I got back up on that horse and never looked back.

Though I've never looked at converting one over, the A-Bolt has separate bolt heads which can EASILY be swapped out, and magazines are easily changed. And since there isn't much voodoo involved in pulling today's barrels, it's very doable, if a person wants to spend the money on the rebarrel.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The only real problem with the stainless A-bolts is because of stainless' tendency to gall. Stainless steels have a real affinity for themselves and will weld themselves together. When I remove the barrel from a stainless A-bolt, I always heat the joint with a heat gun and feed some gear oil into the scope mount hole to lubricate the threads prior to removing the barrel.
If it wasn't for the trigger, I could like the A-bolt action. It's really not bad. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me, personally, I don't have a problem with the A-Bolt trigger. In fact, with a good tune up, they can be made very crisp, rivaling some of the best aftermarket triggers of the same weight class. I would like to see them built out of something a little better than pot metal. Generally speaking though, most factory triggers can be made to outperform their aftermarket counterparts, again, in the same weight class.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Malm has barreled one for me, and it was top notch work.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Malm,
I think the trigger works OK but it is a bit fragile. I've had two come in with the trigger lever broken at the pivot. The thing is, with so many good, simple, rugged, trigger mechanisms and attachment methods out there, there is little reason to design something different (Ruger should pay attention here too!). GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GD,

Yup, I've had broken levers come in. I've often scratched my... head, wondering why the folks at Browning went so cheap on their fire control materials. I guess someone had to find a use for all those old Holley carburetors that are littering the junk yards. grin

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,051
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.