Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Well, I had promised my son that if he would earn his Eagle Scout award I would buy him a rifle. He just started filling out his Service Project paperwork and I just got my big bonus. So......I secretly went out and picked up a rifle that I couldn't pass on.

He has been shooting my Winchester Model 70 with a custom Shillen 7mm-08 barrel and shoots it very well. A month or so ago, we were talking rifles and cartidges and he told me that he wanted a 7mm-08. I told him that I would consider giving him the Model 70 if that is what he wanted, but he explained that he knew how special that rifle is to me and would rather get a different one for him.

While visiting the local gun shop I eyed a nearly new Browning A Bolt II with Leupold turn in bases and rings sitting on the used rack. It is in perfect condition and looks well taken care of.

I couldn't pass on the $475 to pick up a really nice little rifle. Son doesn't know yet and won't until the service project is completed, but I can't help but be excited. I so want to tell him and start load development but I can't yet. So...next best thing is to tell all of you about it.

Figure I will keep an eye out for some 140 btip and accubond seconds and buy up a bunch soon. I will also pick up another few pounds of Varget as I have yet to see a 7-08 that doesn't shoot it well.

Thanks!

FH

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congratulations to you and your son! My son and I also each have 7mm-08's and yes, Varget works great! Spent a little time at the 500yd gong today w/ 139SST's with a light cross wind - too easy...
I have some 162 A-max's on order but Lord only knows when they'll get here...

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A rifle just like that in 270 was my graduation present. My parents asked me if I wanted a ring and I told them that I'd rather have a rifle. The gave it to me after I got home from walking across the stage. The shiny bolt shroud isn't my favorite, but my dad used it as a place to get my name engraved. It looks nice, shoots really well, and will never leave me. I've got more use out of that rifle than a ring could have ever given. It's retired now that I hunt a lot harder and plan on passing it down to my son, but it's still in the safe ready to go.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If your new A-Bolt II 7mm-08 shoots half as well as mine does, I think that you will be extremely pleased!

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I am actually really excited to start shooting it. It will be hard for me to keep it hid for the next several weeks. Hopefully it doesn't go on for months. If he doesn't like it, I am sure that I will ;o)

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great choice, great rifle, he's gonna love it!

Thank God for Mississippi!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 7mm/08 is a tremendous hunting cartridge. Easy to shoot, easy to load for and very effective on most NA game. Accuracy is stellar out of most any platform. I am sure your son will love his rifle.

Congratulations to your son on his achievement.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats on your son working towards being an Eagle Scout,that is a great accomplishment in itself,and congrats on the great find,I am sure that will quality time for you and him to spend working up loads and shooting it,awesome to hear stories where the parents and children share te same values...Congrats....Mudder700

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife has a A-Bolt I in the Micro Medallion version in 7mm-08. That thing is a shooter! Sub MOA groups with the Speer 145g GS. Deer and hogs hate it. Good snag there at a good price.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Whoa! He's gonna love it! I have an A-bolt Composite Stalker, and it shoots those Hornady 139gr SST's that Canazes9 was talking about like they were MADE for it. Best 100 yard group of my life with any rifle was shot with that bullet over some RL17. Enjoy

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to your son! A surprise for me upon moving to Utah was the population density of Eagle Scouts. If it's not, it has to be near the top of anywhere on the planet.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you everyone. Pointer, you are correct. I don't know the actual statistics, but the BSA has long taught values that are really important to the dominant religion here in Utah. Due to that being the case, nearly every local congregation has ties in a BSA troop and encourages their young men to participate and learn.

I sometimes feel like the "black sheep" in that I never finished earning my Eagle rank, but have been actively involved in their programs as an adult. Seems that I got wrapped up in sports, school stuff and I am sure girls too ;), and never finished. One of those things that I would definitely change if I could turn back time and know what I know today. One of the rules is to have completed the final board of review by age 18. I had earned my Life Scout rank by 14 years old and never finished the last two merit badges and my Service Project. I definitely would have with an incentive of my very own rifle. That is why I have "sweetened" the pot so to speak for my son. I didn't want him to have those same regrets that I have.

That said, I have served as a scoutmaster and have been actively involved in teaching these young men as an adult. Pretty cool when you get to watch them grow up and become more mature. Even more cool when it is your own son.

Just a week ago, our troop awarded 5 Eagle Scout awards. That was quite a fun evening to be involved in. Even had a visit from "Liberty" a 26 year old female Bald Eagle that was injured flying into a power line 20 years ago. She has a 6 foot wingspan and showed it proudly the other night. The whole group gasped when they saw her spread her wings and make her call. My son and one other young man are next in line if all goes as planned. Sometime late this spring it should happen.

FH

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 01/28/13.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats to your son on becoming an Eagle Scout....and on the rifle too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fire Hawk...very cool and I'm glad you shared the story with us. It resonates with me on a couple levels. As an Eagle Scout myself, I congratulate you and your son. It is such a commitment, and both you and he should be proud. As I have girls, I'm a bit envious of you in that way. Second, when I graduated college, my dad gave me a rifle and it holds so much sentimental value, it's hard to explain. I am certain your son will look on the A-Bolt the same way. Make sure you follow-up and let us know how the unveiling goes once you give him the gift.

BTW, what is your son's service project?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
FH,

Congratulations. Eagle Scout is a prestigious award.

I'm sure your son will enjoy many days afield with his new Browning, although I don't think deer are gonna much like it.

Take care,

Tom

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you Setch and others!

He is trying to get his project approved, but essentially he will be retiring some American Flags at local elementary schools and placing them in a Memorial shadow box. The boxes will be in memory of the teachers and students who passed away in the Sandy Hook catastrophe.

He will utilize his local troop to conduct Flag Ceremonies and place their new flags into service and also use them to retire the old worn and weathered flags.

So...if all gets approved, this is what he will do. It requires him to be a good leader, raise funds for the shadow box materials and flags if not already budgeted through the school district and present the information to local schools for approval. Should fall well in line with their goals with the program.

FH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great project and one that has an appropriate amount of honor to it for an eagle scout.

If his funds are short you should consider using the 'fire for help...I'd be interested in supporting

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you very much for your offer. I have thought the same thing and we may just utilize your suggestion.

FH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great, keep us posted FH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.